Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Graphics

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The graphics of SotA have come a long way, especially in the last few releases.
    Still there a some things that don't look really good.

1. I think that this game would benefit a LOT from using speedtree grass and bushes instead of the vegetation we have now.
    2. Has there been any word on when the new water will be introduced?
    3. Shadows: There a too few shadows and they are too "light". Why not let us choose how many shadows we want to see? Walking through Ardoris or Kingsport at night, torch in hand showed how few shadows there are. Everything looks to be illuminated in the same light, the same color, without shadows. Objects on tables don't cast shadows , people standing next to me don't cast shadows etc. The atmosphere would benefit so much from adding more shadows.

[​IMG]

4. Many elements look way too clean and too angular.

[​IMG]

Stahlknecht, docdoom77, smack and 2 others like this.
  2. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

I believe graphics will be better in time even more. They are still looking for additional VFX artist, when one is found, things begin to happen.

I don't really know about these terms and effects, but i would like to see improved SSAO. That would make characters look more that they connect the ground and not "float". Same for all objects. And i am sure that will come sooner or later, since that sounds and looks so basic.

Example:

[​IMG]

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

1. We have been steadily replacing all our vegetation with Speedtree versions. It just takes time and there are not always Speedtree versions of trees we need (swamp trees for instance).
    2. We are waiting on Unity for new water. No ETA
    3. There is a bug in Unity where no shadows show on terrain. No ETA on a fix

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What about lighting issues like this?

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Such detail would be great ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But of course I agree that a "living" and highly interactive world is more important than such graphics, although both would be fantastic ;)

By the way the screenshots are fom the game Everybody's gone to the Rapture.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    smack likes this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

There are Skyrim modders who have made incredible SpeedTree models for plants, trees, etc. The best of the bunch is a guy named Vurt who I know to be an Ultima fan.

His work covers all kinds of biomes and ground coverings.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/141/?

I'm guessing SotA wants truly unique assets they can have exclusively, so you wouldn't want him to just submit the assets he already created. But his portfolio is impressive. He did similar mods for Morrowind with mushrooms and kinds of fantastic plants. He could submit SpeedTree plants/trees for SotA.

Likewise I think the area SotA is in most desperate need of assets right now is clothing and armor. There are amazing modders in the Skyrim community who make really high quality assets.

I'd love to reach out to some of them and see if I can convince some of them to contribute to SotA, but the call for assets thread hasn't been updated in ages and if you're not already a Dev+ backer, you have no access to character models to try and make clothing and armor models.

Sara Dreygon and docdoom77 like this.
  7. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Linux graphics drivers conflict with unity

Stahlknecht likes this.
  8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Hire that artist!

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Portalarium needs more money if they're going to hire more people. I think it was said outright by Chris in the R20 post-mortem that hiring is dictated by funding. If people spread the word or open their wallets, maybe they can hire more artists.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It wasn't that way in R19.

[edit] Oh yeah, and at least one other person experienced this on Windows.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.