Help "Cleric"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albreuin Meysinger, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albreuin Meysinger

Albreuin Meysinger Avatar

Hi

Was wondering if anyone have had any luck soloing on a "cleric" deck (chain mail armor with heals and some offensive mostly undead harming skills) or if the way is to build a cloth mage and go into the life tree?

How much offensive do you have to be to kill stuf?

I've heard that targeting other players with heals is wonky, however I always play a healer/hybrid in RPG games and would love to do so here as well.

2. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

The life tree has the lowest Fizzle % so you can wear full heavy and still heal fine (probably need to get the skill Follow Through in the Focus tree if fizzle does become an issue)

As for targeting players, I find shift+click is the easiest way to target what you intend since double clicking the target can easily move. Healing party members I find easy and fun in this game. You can have a hostile target (red crossair on target) and a friendly target (blue crossair on target)

So just make sure you shift+click you intended target (you can use the party unit frames to select party members) and as long as you see the Blue Crossair you should be able to heal that player effectively while still using offensive skills on your hostile target (red crossair)

As for dmg, you can be high in the life tree, but also be high skilled in one of the other combat trees. Melee can do some damge, but falls a little behind what a Mage or Ranger can put out atm. But I believe you dont need TOO much offensive to be able to kill most things. Of course its nice to be able to melt things fast, you should still be able to Solo and be a cleric with the proper skills in more offensive combat skills.

Now if you want to use magic with your heavy armor/cleric build, it might be beneficial to go more light armor because fizzle will become an issue with most Magic.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Albreuin Meysinger

Albreuin Meysinger Avatar

Sounds cool!

Do you have any pointers perhaps to some "healing" builds that can also solo somewhat?

Currently my avatar is a two-handed sword, heavy armor warrior... but I'm really not feeling it at all...

I'd love if it was possible to play with sorta D&D cleric style ala. hammer, shield and chain armor. But I'm unsure if its feasible to go heavy into life, water and sun magic?

In one way I feel my ideas sounds more like RP wishing than a semi effective build.

Any advice you can share?

Cheers

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Blades is best melee skill tree, stick with it if you want to stay with melee. Level up the first blade innate skill and the other innates as high as you want. Keep the active blade skills locked at 40 until the devs figure out the problem with focus use on high lvl skills.

I'm not in front of a PC now, but if you are having problems tanking, unlock and level/use the active skill in the tactics tree that's under the four stances (the one that gives you avoidance.)

Also level the Heavy Armor innates on the right side of the tree and level/use the first Heavy Armor skill (Glancing Blow?)

Make sure to lvl not just strength, but also intelligence and dexterity. All three are important for melee.

Finally make sure to get the new blessings. I prefer the ones that buffs focus regen and adventurer lvl, since your adventurer lvl greatly influences your hit rate.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions!

5. Cyin

Cyin Avatar

I play a D&D style cleric, Hammer/Mace, Shield, and Chainmail and I do fine soloing. I might not kill as fast as blades, but I am not in a race so it doesn't matter to me.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I play a paladin type which is ok for healing but fizzle in plate has increased so if I heal for a group I switch my deck to a healing deck and take all dmg things out and change my armor to chain and dual wands with fizzle reduction. I am grandmaster bludgeons. I fizzle much less in this than with my plate. I always wield a 2 handed axe in games ;)

I have all life spells and highest is 98 healing ray. I also have life attunement on all my stuff. Also I grabbed healing rain from the water tree. I have become a bit of a hybrid though to get resistances from trees so I've added the fists and arrows as well. There is no cap or perhaps a very very soft cap so you can actually train everything, just keep it so you are not training everything at once. For those who want to role-play a class it is not an easy game to do that but some do try and it is your imagination that controls what you do or do not do ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Salazar Calabra and Zethgrim like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

My goal playing SOTA was a Cleric but they had a lot of trouble with healing over the past year (they have straitened it out a lot now). It is feasible to play a cleric.

If I were to build a Cleric now I would

Cleric:
    Full chain: Use heavy armor skills for defense and stun. Load up on str and int.
    Life: Load up on life magic, I find it the slowest skills to raise in the game.
    1H Mace/hammer: go heavy str and int. Enchant with life gems
    1H Wand (off hand): Go heavy str and int. Enchant with life gems
    Bludgeon skill: Load up on the stuns. Use the main bludge as well as knockdown. Raise the passives for defense.
    Earth: Use earth as a secondary magic skill to help with magic damage. It matches well with the STR of bludgeon and int of life tree. Load up on the stuns.

For Solo, replace the 1h hammer and 1h wand with a 2H bludge for good damage.

You end up with a ton of stuns which you want, ok damage ability for solo and a lot of healing. I am able to chain stun any mob I go against if I need to.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Salazar Calabra likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

F1-F8 is also a good for party targeting. At least on Windows/Linux, that is. I'm not sure how problematic that would be on a Mac keyboard, since they usually get used for volume/backlight type stuff.

Now I'm tempted to swap out my comfy Epic Cloth for chain sometime just to try a battle cleric build.

9. eli

eli Avatar

just want to chime in that i have a dedicated healer with no offense whatsoever, and I use keybindings for targeting because clicks are very frustrating. In a pinch if you don't know a specific players' key, as long as you have any ally targeted, you can move your field of view so that your intended recipient is the only legal target in your party and it will go to him. If you have an enemy or no one selected, it will default to healing yourself.

I wear cloth, use aetheric feedback, spellbinder stance, and have no focus problems. The only problem i have now is insufficient draw due to the recent cooldown changes. Since I dual wield ankh's i rely mostly on healing ray, but also hit burst and grace when things get heavy. I'm not sure what kind of fizzle rates you'd get in heavy armor with those higher tier life spells, but i'd love to hear. Right now I go down in less than 3 seconds, which is sometimes faster than the new cooldown limits.. if i could stretch that to 5s i think it would be a way better story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.