Help me decide what kind of character to play!

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Grogan, Jul 28, 2013.

?

What kind of character should I play in SotA?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2013.
  1. Bard - Poems, Songs, and Stories will be my weapon of choice.

9.1%
  2. Knight - Defender of justice, order, and the less fortunate.

45.5%
  3. Thief - Your stuff is my stuff. Call for the guards, I care not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mage - There's never enough of these power hungry jerks!

18.2%
  5. Merchant - How about I pay you to handle the danger for me while I sit here and think about money?

27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Please help me decide what type of character to play during SotA. I've narrowed it down to a select few archetypes. Please note that whatever the choice I'll be playing full pvp and roleplaying at all times.

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Can't really decide on mechanics because AFAIK we know absolutely nothing about them. Maybe you could make a bit of RP backstory and decide what you like from there.

The archtypes I've gravitated toward are:
    1) CC and pets
    2) Support / Off-healer
    This probably has something to to with the fact that these are generally lag proof.

I've imagined in the past if there were to be a game based on Ultima IV-VI lore, I'd like to play a shepherd. Because stat wise this was the worst class (no magic, no armor, terrible weapon selection). I always thought "that class isn't humble...it's just weak."

I also tend to make every possible class and just level the one I like. So no decisions pre-beta for sure. And I have no idea how classless might work, assuming they stick with that concept.

3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I voted for Knight as well. I think it gives you the best chance at surviving in PVP mode plus it gives you a lot of roleplaying opportunities. (I imagine there will be quite a few evil mages and thieves terrorizing innocent villagers!)

Jambo likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Until we know more about the skill sets available, it's nearly impossible to decide in advance what role to adopt, except in the most broad sense.

5. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I appreciate the votes all the same. For me this is more about roleplaying...I'd rather play a great role than the most powerful character.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Other than thieves, you have no villains in your list, and thieves are low on the villain totem pole.

7. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

That's true. I have been leaning towards a good character for some time. In a world where pvp will be everywhere, I like the challenge of being one of the people trying to clean up the streets.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

OK, so like you say, you want to know what kind of character you should play, and you don't intend to play a villain, so you didn't include any villains.

My next question is, how the heck should WE know what kind of character you should play if YOU don't even know?

9. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

You'd use your gut.

I have a pretty good idea that whatever I play it will be one of the choices I listed in the poll. I guess I'm just looking for a push in one direction or another. I'd be happy to play any of those choices.

10. God

God Avatar

With a classless system, the possibilities are technically endless at this point. At least until we find out more on the subject.

11. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

It's classes, yes...but it's not limitless. The developers have stated that you're limited by the amount of points that you can put into skills, meaning you can't max out everything. So while it's surely possible to min/max many skills, it's not going to be possible to do it all. That means that most people will probably gravitate towards traditional and familiar archetypes.

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yes, Goblin King is right. Since you don't have enough points to master all skills, you will still need to concentrate the majority of your points on skill sets associated with traditional archetypes in order to have a viable character. A "jack of all trades, but master of none" type character probably wouldn't survive very long in the game.

Jambo likes this.
  13. God

God Avatar

Well yes, obviously you shouldn't be able to master everything. From what I've read, it will be sort of like UO (700 skill points to spread out. )

I guess what I meant was more like "the possibilities of character types, skill caps, how skills are achieved, counted, etc are limited."

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually the theory currently behind not being able to master everything is because you won't have the time.. too many skills TO master.

My general approach to building a character's stats / abilities is to let the character do it for you. I suppose it's a sub-conscience thing. You get a character concept you like and then let them tell you what's appropriate. You already know you want to play the hero.. that is you'll be PvPing against the more villainous types. Ok so you can probably leave out any kind of thieving skills.

So you're going to RP and try to stay in character the entire time.. ok what kind of personality is fun for you to play? The grumpy reluctant hero? Fun loving? Sly? Secretive? What interests do you have that might be playable in-game? Figure out the personality you want to play and that will give you a good idea as to the skills you want to invest in.

Personally.. I like taking common arch types and turning them on their heads. Bowen here as an example.. started in a D&D realm as a ranger.. but he can't cast a spark of magic to save his life.. and then he ended up pretending to be a dual rapier wielding pirate. His primary stat was Int so he had skills 'up the wazoo'

I had a necromancer at one point (mostly for play testing since I was a DM and was rebalancing the class).. but he was obsessed with life. To understand life he thought you must understand it's opposite. So his motivation was fairly pure but his methods were somewhat twisted.. but it made for a character with a unique perspective on things.

My 'stupid' character (and you gotta love 'em) was an ugly little spud of a goblin.. tired of enslavement by drow and being banished from the tribe for some incident so do with the chief's daughter.. he wanted to become a champion of the down trodden. He was fun to play. :)

So I suppose I enjoy characters with an element of contradiction to them. My cleric hated deities and would just as soon give them the finger.. but was chosen by one anyway because of.. uncommon circumstances.. My paladin was undead. Well you get the idea.

The point is I'd suggest you find the personality you want to roleplay that will be most interesting to you.. and let that be your guide.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Just ask yourself the question "Why do you come to this world?". Nobody was forced to come to New Britannia. So what is your goal in this world? If you want to clean the world from all evil than the knight would be the best choice. But why don't you give your char the chance to try out some things before he decide for one direction? If he failed in one he has more motivation to master another skill. A knight who was once a thief is more interesting than a knight with no background. Just combine two choices to a greater character.

16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I've been thinking about the same question, and I always like the idea of being a shepherd. I always felt that druids and shepherds were closely related.. both seem pretty spiritual in their connection with nature, and yet the ranger was awarded that virtue. Then what could be more compassionate than those who care for nature and the animals? Oh.. that virtue is awarded to the bards.. Well, they are certainly loyal to their cause, or well, they sacrifice most worldly possessions to.. ah, but they spend all their time listening to the earth and obtain truths about life, making them.. ok. so they understand the importance of courage, love, and truth. I believe the shepherds are the caretakers of the principals, and in their humility, support the others in their shouldering of the individual virtues, knowing that all will be better for it, which in turn will improve the world all around them.

17. gaznox

gaznox Avatar

Be a merchant, so I can steal your gold! :rolleyes:

18. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

That might not be the case. It might make for an interesting story too.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Indeed.. imagine if you will.. driving down the road and minding your own business when you hit a patch of ice (ok either it's winter or you're in Alaska or something), you lose control and slide straight through a lunar rift.. far fetched? Heh.. well so is just finding a lunar rift in your back yard and happily stepping through it of your own volition. :) Maybe you saw something you didn't and a mob family tosses you into a lunar rift to get rid of you. No body.. no crime right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.