Here's what a Keep Lot with 47 Greenhouses looks like

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrChadwyck, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

You can only use 26 greenhouses if you place 47 because you run out of external spots.

Keep Lots have 2,200 external spots, subtracting the 47 greenhouses, leaving 2,153 usable planting spots.
    My existing greenhouses use 3 large, 1 medium, 1 small bed, and 6 barrels = 80 spots.
    (There is room for more, but I'm using 6 barrels because easier to AOE plant with 6.)
    So 2,153 / 80 = 26.9 usable greenhouses.

To use all 47 greenhouses, the lot would need 3,807 spots total on the lot.
    80*47 = 3,760 for plants +47 for greenhouses = 3,807.

Looks awesome to me, but is useless for maximum greenhouse farming, especially for the price of a keep lot.

*** This is on QA so no real gold was spent. Just wanted to see what it looked like. ***

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

keep and castle lots needs some deco count upgrades

3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

At least enough to cover planting in this scenario :)

I'd also LOVE to be able to just fill mine with planters without green houses but you can only place like 1/3 of the lot before your item count runs out.

4. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

If anyone wants to run around the lot to see the size, the town is Ullr Ridge, just to the west of original Ulfheim. Use signpost 04 Farming Plateau

UPDATE: On QA I am now attempting to fill a keep lot with angled greenhouses. Please be patient while we are renovating

UPDATE2 : Geez. It's gonna take forever to purchase 80-some angled greenhouses from the coto store. This was a bad idea...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    FrostII, Time Lord and that_shawn_guy like this.
  5. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

It's a thing of beauty. I understand why exterior deco limits are important and can't get too high, and I know that reducing the slots consumed by planters would make dungeon and basement farming way too overpowered, but it really feels like you should be able to fill this up. Not sure if its practical (in terms of coding/tech) for planters inside greenhouses to count as interior deco, but can anyone think of any reason they shouldn't, if it's possible?

6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Em what is overpowered ? As someone who had an experience with gigafarms(10k+ spots), profit is extremely low. The only way how it can be good/average in terms of profit - if owner will use bot, then it will make some sense, but we all know - what is downside of it :D So I think it would be no problem if keep/castle lots would have deco count upgrades.

From my point of view - usage of greenhouses is not an advantage for large farms, after some point you dont want to spent many, many hours per day on farming :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Coswald_Dirthmire

Not the greenhouses, I mean that having planters just use fewer spaces would make farming in dungeons and basements more overpowered. Above ground it would be fine. Dungeons offer a ton of spots that are much easier to keep watered, and have huge deco limits. Basements too. I had at 50k+ planting spots, mixed above ground and below ground and it's a huge boost to crafting XP, it gives very good profit frankly (cotton is over 9gp per slot per day profit at 1x grow speed), and the market is already so saturated the selling to an NPC is almost as good (or sometimes better) than selling to players. Recent water consumption changes means selling mandrake/garlic/nightshade to NPC is almost as much profit as Cotton was before.

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Just curious, is there a reason you didn't go with the Angled Roof greenhouses?"

I use the angled roof style, placing them end to end with enough room so I can leave all the doors open and run strait through them while tending.
    The easiest solution to this is simply increase demand for all farm produce including regs. It's just a matter of changing numbers of farming produce things needed or used.

:eek:>>-->"Our hunting and crafting game should cater to our agriculture game, not the other way around"<--<<:confused:
    [​IMG]

I am a player who has enough greenhouses to plant 24 hours a day when I'm really into our farming game... "our farming game that still needs some better more playable dynamics to it, enough to make it a life style".

We have our hunting game, our gathering game, our crafting game and our fishing game, all of which can be a lifestyle, yet our farming game which has the potential to take on mega-games such as "Farmville", has yet to be stepped up to the batter box.

[​IMG]

I think it's noteworthy here to mention that in almost every interview our Lord British ever gave while pitching the concept of our game to potential backers, that agricultural farming was almost always asked about by the interviewer.

Just check out Farmville's numbers in players and I think it's self evident that our gaming economy should cater to such a game play and be adjusted for as a micro-game within our game.

Our agriculture has always had untapped potential with public apeal that has rivaled our hunting game since our game's first conseption.

Why have we always neglected this boon of actual game company profit potential which has always caused many to wonder why with un-dying devotion in demanding for it?

Our agriculture game could blow Farmville away, but we're always too busy trying to compete in the main medevil market share.

There's enough public demand for it and there's been enough public demand for it from even before our game was a game!
    [​IMG]
    We need to go after Farmville and kick them right in thier assets!
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    ConjurerDragon likes this.
  9. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

I don't always farm, but when I do, I do it for hours. ;)

In 20 minute increments....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Coswald_Dirthmire and Time Lord like this.
  10. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

Angled Roof costs cotos and I went with what was craftable and quick to place. (The greenhouses in the picture are from store, but the craftable ones are same size)
    Angled holds 2 large and a medium from what I tried (50 spots). If two angled can fit in the same space as a regular greenhouse (~86), then you could get 14 more spaces.
    I haven't tried that. Good idea.

Are angled greenhouses craftable?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I don't really know... I'm a coto store cop-out farmer :D I bought most everything I have.
    ~TL~

12. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

And how long does it take to make seed+wateringx3+gathering ? With 150 skills+buff+elven wine and ~14k spots, it takes me from hour to 1.5 hours to make one iteration. Lets imagine I do it as fast as I can every time and it would be hour. When it would 5 hours for the cycle... 50k spots you say ? ~15 hours ? 9gp per slot/day ? 18gp income per cycle ? So its 60k per hour ? And it is so max evaluation, by the fact on a long distance numbers would be lower, and lets dont forget extreme tediousness of this activity.
    Big farms + many hours for cycle, its not about casual players, and for hardcore one it cant be considered overpowered, its not an afk activity, even lack of full focus on the farming will make numbers much lower at all.

Imho the only real usage of large farms is to make billions craft XP from cooking less expensive or its about the bots and scripts but then it should be perma banned becouse of auto gold generation reason.

P.S. From my point of view city, keep and castle should have more deco spots at all, and I dont see a problem if planters would "eat" less deco slots, but looks like its just hard to implement in a code.
    P.S. Also would be good to give us new recipes with large consumption of farming goods. It will help economy :)

Silently likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

14. Coswald_Dirthmire

There's some tricks of the trade that make it faster, (14k spots would take me about 160mins if all grouped together) but even 60k gold generated directly from the NPC per hour is a lot. But yes, the main way in which it's overpowered is XP generation (even direct generation from the ag itself).

To re-reiterate I would have nothing against being able to fill large (above ground) lots completely with planters in and of itself. I just don't see an easy fix to make it happen without 1) increasing outdoor deco slots on these lots (which has performance implications that the devs have said before they don't like, not sure if it's still considered an issue with recent performance boosts) or 2) making planters take up fewer deco spots (which I think would be too much a boon to dungeon/basement farming). It seems like counting greenhouses as interior spaces might be good, but again, I don't know how complicated that is.

Having planters use fewer deco slots would benefit me greatly... just, so greatly that I don't think it should happen. I do agree that more bulk reagents and farmed goods recipes could be a smart balance.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  16. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

I was curious so I used the phone's stopwatch for harvesting the greenhouses, planting and watering in the greenhouses, and watering the outside lots.

I have roughtly 7k outside in two straight lines and it takes about 18m 45s to water, but I rounded to 20m, so double to 14k and it should take 40-45 minutes for one run.
    If you are not using Chaotic Feedback, I'd recommend trying that.

Outside lots [6,911 spaces] : 30m plant/water + 20m water + 20m water + 20m harvest = 1h 30m total
    Greenhouses (24) [1,557 spaces]: 11m plant and water + 8m water + 8m water + 8m harvest = 35m total (getting stuck behind the doors will be extra)

My stats: Sowing 135, Watering 135, Harvesting 133, Chaotic Feedback 101, no other drinks or buffs (I use dash occasionally)
    My agriculture bar pic is at the bottom.

Here's the Farming Planner for scheduling times if someone needs it: https://www.sotalore.com/farming

[post corrected to say Chaotic Feedback]

[​IMG]

My agriculture bar:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Time Lord likes this.
  17. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Isn't that Chaotic Feedback?

Time Lord and MrChadwyck like this.
  18. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

shhhh. I was trying to distract. That's what chaos does. :)

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  19. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

This discussion brings back the first week or two of the farming being introduced into the game. Our guild quickly made a pumpkin patch using a Castle Lot, quickly followed by another growing Cotton. By the time we got around to our second set of crops, the Dev's were already rolling back the number of plants one could plant over concerns about disturbing the balance of the game. More power to the farmer! Down with the man! You want to get innovative again SOTA maybe see if you can find a couple other games that are in a similar low orbit player wise and see if you can somehow create an across the game market for items grown and crafted in this game and by players in other games. Then see what happens! Might find a totally new buzz circulating around places like Steam and someday son once again our beloved game will be written about once again as a creative master piece thru out the gaming community. Maybe start out connecting this game with UO or something our other games using same platform?

SB

yep still crazy after all these years!

By the way I have about 50 crafted large green houses I would love to sell if anyone is contemplating scaling up, crafted them all by myself one at a time,

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The Agriculture Blues :cool:
    [​IMG]
    The AntiDevelopment Years:(

I think it's important to look at how much real world money agriculture represents, which then funds our development. No other activity in our game matches the amounts that agriculture has provided for our development through land sales for many years.

Agriculture has historically been under-developed.

I use to grow many different crops for fun, yet then development chopped the economic legs out from under every crop except the most guilty crops in NPC purchasing profits.

We don't even have to rotate crops or fertilize. Our development has not developed reasons for diversity.

We do not have seasonal NPC markets, NPCs buy the same things at the same prices no matter what the season.

We are on a magical world where our agriculture has no magic in it at all.

The timing of each planet's orbit should be linked to an individual crop's best time for planting for better yield.

Farmville (the game) rakes in millions of real dollars each month and we could beat them if we would develop more.

Agriculture has historically been one of the strongest direct drivers in our game's developing dollars. It was talked about and asked about in each interview as well as our planets, yet these extremely popular aspects of our game have fallen on the development cutting room floor.

It's the largest development blind spot in our game.

Thanks for funding us, agriculture hopes and dreams.
    [​IMG]:cool:
    ~TL~

ConjurerDragon and Adam Crow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.