Hey guys, new/old player looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Alezender, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alezender

Alezender Avatar

I bought and played SOTA about 6+ months ago, but never been a fan of putting time into a character and having it wiped, so I decided to bide my time and be patient to play this awesome game.

My question is, should I midmax a build or not really worry about it? When I played so long ago I was duel swords and used wind magic, and I'll probably try the same build again. I just need to know if I should totally turn every other skill off so it doesn't level or just not worry about it at all?

Thanks to those that took the time to read and reply!

Tahru, By Tor [MGT], Ellrynn and 3 others like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, I'm sure you'll get both answers.

Personally, I don't bother, but I'm in no rush to reach the upper echelons. I leave most of my skills open, and let them do their thing. Eventually they will settle at a certain level, and that will be that.

If you want to gain quickly though... Well the various tricks of maintaining a large experience pool, and limiting training to certain skills will certain help in that regards.

Welcome, and happy hunting. :)

Ellrynn, Mata, Alezender and 3 others like this.
  3. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

It really depends on your play style and if grouping or solo player imho.

I've switched off back up skills once they hit 40 and left a few of my prime dmg ones (AoE's) rise to 50+ dependent on my exp pool level. Innates eat more exp than most and general consensus is that to raise each skill to 40 costs about 50k exp a pop. keep in your main tree selections first off as well as building str, dex and int. Healing burst is great if you group a lot whatever tree your in as healing is spread throughout the group and for higher control point as a group last night we've all started raising it higher to help the collective stay alive throughout the waves of mobs without relying on one or two cleric types thus sharing the agro.

As you get higher you'll have to turn off skills to raise a particular skill due to the sheer amount of exp to raise it.

Hope that helps and if you have questions feel free to join the EVL teamspeak channel ( EVL.teamspeak3.com no password ) as there is lots of folk who know way more than me and can help with trivial or complex questions you may have

Ellrynn, Mata, Alezender and 2 others like this.
  4. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game Alezender :) !!

5. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Hi Alezander. It's nice to meet you. I hope to run into you in the game.

6. Artte

Artte Avatar

Thanks for good q and a evry1

firesparx, Ellrynn and Mata like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community!

I tend to disagree with some, but balance should change over time. I say play however you want rather than trying to chase a min/max now. Also most people say only to level one thing at one and chase GM, but the required XP for each skill goes up exponentially. I personally assume then someone with a bunch of skills at 50 should be more well rounded than someone with one or two at 100.

If you need help in game or have questions, drop me a line!

firesparx, Ellrynn and Mata like this.
  8. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Alezender!

firesparx, By Tor [MGT] and Ellrynn like this.
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, Alezender!

firesparx, Mata and Ellrynn like this.
  10. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Welcome Alezender !

firesparx and Mata like this.
  11. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

Sounds like real life! I tend to not min-max my characters, but my stepson does and keeping up is sometimes a real whirlwind! :) Can I ask, do you, or anyone know if there are SotA character "builds" out there in the www resources that I can look at, just so I have some idea of where to steer my avatar? I have always played rogue-type, dual-wield, stealthy-stab-you-in-the-back type toons (though I don't PVP) and have not played SotA much at all since I pledged. So the learning curve is a little steep for me at the moment.

firesparx likes this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Sounds like you'd want to focus on the "subterfuge" and "tactics" skill trees (tactics has off hand/dual weapon skills). I'll send you the tree links:

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Subterfuge_Skills
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Tactics_Skills

firesparx likes this.
  13. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Well, this is the good side of a sandbox classless system, there are no " built " . Start with something, look at your flaws, study the trees and reach for those skills that suits you. Strenght, Focus and Dexterity passive should be unlocked and raised asap !

firesparx and The Hendoman like this.
  14. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

firesparx and By Tor [MGT] like this.
  15. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

Thanks for the advice Mobidoy. I am definitely lacking in strength just having started up. Unlike other games I have played, strength does play a part in SotA.

16. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

if this is a dps game, i'd definately str and dex and int right away, because there's this arc around level 30 or so that starts making exp. harder, but your not strong enough to work elf rangers and such, dash everything else except healing. Look up the 5/5/5/1 build for the deck, and join the grind. I'm moving from north valeway to west valeway (it's a two skull, oh boy!), so maybe i'll see you in there~!

Since the plots and quests are not finished, you'r just going to have to combat around if you want to save the story line for when it is completeable..... oh. oh i just had a freeshard flashback to honor quests not activated, things not dropping that horse tail thingy past the CU's... bleh. I'm still gonna wait and save the quests.

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    firesparx and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

oh and go blunt or sword. Arrows and such are really experimental and cost prohibitive right now. and magic is a no no, the regs arent right. Stick to the old up close and personal approach and healing buffs

I *did* start a camoflauge line though, it isn't much help right now, but it may be cool soon. I wish there was a script program for casting healing and camo for a while . oh and before anyone says 'minerbots' whatever. add em. I should be able to hunt them down like free range critters imho

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    firesparx likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Alezender!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.