hey guys

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

still here just trying to get the cash for a recording interface and software, im really hesitant to do anything on bit torrent stuff cause i was ate up with viruses(viri?, viruseses :p) had to reformat my HDs and now my SSD isnt showing up so i might have to reformat it again.. :(

i am hesitant to use my onboard mic and throw something up but it loks like its the only way to get something up. i did have a website that would let you upload .wavs and convert to mp3s does anyone know those sites and provide a URL?

i dont want to download conversion software cause it would likely be freeware and bundled with adware.

there was a way i could use a 1/4 to 1/8 converter plug and record direct into a pc but i dont know where the adapter is atm :/

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Veylen The AenigmA

also i was reading up on this recent post about crowdsourcing music, now maybe i am understand wrong but after a lockout period theres a time for you to revise your song or someone else can claim it as theirs and work on it? to me it sounds like being forced to give your music to someone else, i have no problem making my music or collaborating with someone else to make "our music" but shouldnt it be the authors choice if a piece is given ownership by someone else to someone else?

at what point does it cease to be mine if i submit it? if i fail to reclaim it? when/if they purchase it?

i know for sale of a song ownership it would be transferred but to me its never full someone elses song because the author created it and without that it wouldnt even exist to give to someone else, i would prefer the term share. maybe i'm just a stickler and a dolt but as far as modern recording production and sales im in the dark.

just because someone buys a cd of you or me doesnt mean its their song it means they paid to use/listen to it. it kind of makes me wonder why some people dont save their good stuff for actual release and sales on a CD or something, if they made a soundtrack with your/our songs in it do you/we get royalties or after you sell it one time to them do they get the royalties.

i mean i have ideas but they are very bare and unfleshed out not worth really paying for but if i spent a ton of time making it perfect a one time fee would seem not as good as royalties for use on soundtracks and other media, how much are the one time fees they pay anyway?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The creative proses here allows for a type of moderating polishing the way I understand it. It would seem to me, (though I surely no authority on it) that once the work is taken, then yes it's sort of out of your hands. I've had similar works taken by stage artists that changed my lyrics. I don't know what the case is here, but that happens quite frequently that I know of once you've been payed from where my experiences come from.
    You can also think of it like this... "where else can you get $ for medieval styled music :D?" So, I think it's sort of a niche market ;)
    I've heard so many artists talk about "Hey, that's my baby, why did you change it and add you name to it?" o_O
    Because it was out of their hands... just a total fool's 2 cent opinion :p
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Veylen The AenigmA

well the original author should always get credit for it IMO. im thinking they do but if someone takes it and polishes it and changes it, it wouldnt exist had it not been for the original creator thus they should always be credited as such.

it depends to me on how much they pay and i would prefer a licensing deal than giving away full ownership unless the price is right. i'm sure places in the malls would play instrumental themed music occasionally. theres not much of a market for it, but there is one just very, very small.

i mean it depends on where the creation comes from, if its out of emotion and meaningful personally i would tend to save those for myself and keep ownership, if its made specifically for a game then its less of an issue but to me music without emotion is like food without tastebuds.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

When I was a soldier in the California desert, a friend and I had made a bet together. Each was to choose a song style and the other would write whatever the other said. (BTW there wasn't anything else to do out there in the desert) anyway... his mother worked in LA in the music industry as an agent. We both sent ours to his mom and she sent me back a check for $1200.00 from what she said was Sammy Davis's agent (he chose Jazz for me and all I could think of was a record of Sammy's she had so I kind of went off of that style). Well, he wanted 1/2 the cash from it because it was his mom. So, we decided to go to Vegas where we both got drunk and blew all the cash gambling. I never heard that song ever player or ever noted anywhere and always wondered what happened to it... but nothing I could ever find ever came up in my searching, so I don't know if anyone ever did it at all...
    That was the most $ I had ever or would ever make for any of my works...
    I did some other lyrical work on "I think 2" songs by the BloodHound Gang just in collaborating, but all the BloodHound Gang ever did for me was have a good time, so we all did.... :p
    And I couldn't say here what those lyrics for the BloodHound Gang were here... or I'd surely get banned for life here ;)

6. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Let me help clarify things a little bit. I'm not an expert and I'm not in control of the process but, I've been participating enough to be able to explain the procedure at least semi-well:
    1. The artist submits a song, or at least a melody idea, for one of the tracks on the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide" (which is currently not locked out, in progress, approved, or paid) via PM to Holt and FireLotus. (A PM on this forum is the "Conversation" function accessible in the "Inbox" menu on the upper right hand corner of the screen)
    2. If the preliminary song or melody idea is approved by Poets' Circle and FireLotus, the artist is given a one-week "lock" on this song, where nobody else can submit a song for this particular track, and the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide" is updated show said lockout.
    3. During those seven days, you have time to work on the song to your liking.
    4. Before those seven days come to an end, the artist needs to get Poets' Circle Approval (PC Approval) to submit the song officially to Portalarium. You get that inside the PM with Holt and Firelotus by submitting the potentially completed track in that conversation.
    5. If "PC Approval" is, the artist needs to post their finalized submission in the "Crowdsourced Music Final Submission Thread" and inform Holt and FireLotus via PM.
    -- At this point, the path branches --

Possibility #1: Your song is reviewed by the Portalarium staff handling music, but is not accepted. (It may take some time after your submission for this to occur, depending on how busy the Portalarium staff is)
    1. The lockout on that particular track the artist was working on is lifted, so other people can apply for a "lock" to submit their own song ideas for that track. (Note that the other artists have no rights to the songs you have worked on, and nobody can take your work and continue it without your permission.)
    2. After five days, you can apply for a "lock" on that track again. (Assuming it isn't currently locked out by another artist, in which case you need to wait for it to be available again)
    Possibility #2: Your song is reviewed by the Portalarium staff handling music, and is accepted. (It may take some time after your submission for this to occur, depending on how busy the Portalarium staff is)
    1. The Portalarium staff reviews your song and contacts you to work with you regarding any final changes they would like made to the track.
    2. Once any additional changes that the Portalarium team request (if any) are completed and your song is accepted, you will be paid according to the information in the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide". (I do not know the timing or method of said payment)
    3. Your song then becomes licensed to Portalarium based upon the license terms stated in the "Crowdsourced Music Terms of Use" thread. Front Line and Major pieces share the same licencing, and "Tavern/Travel/Filler pieces share a different, less restrictive license.
    I hope that helps explain things a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

7. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Thank you Kailef... that sums things up nicely.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: I'm glad somebody figured out any proses that sounds that reasonable to have offered it for being able to have everyone a way to submit their musical talents :rolleyes:
    and to maybe get paid... that's an unbelievably good bonus in my book ;)!
    But also, am I to understand that Portalarium is still willing to give more for the music, if they can pay in virtual property or add-on store credit?

9. Holt

Holt Avatar

Musicians have a hard time when it comes to people paying for their music. The bounty, however high or low, offered by Portalarium is definitely the proper reinforcement to a person believing in themselves as a 'professional' or at least 'semi-professional' musician. I think it is a very encouraging gesture.

On the other hand, I really would rather the focus be on producing exceptional music.

If Shroud of the Avatar ends up with a soundtrack that rivals other MMOs, except done by its own community of supporters, I think it will be noteworthy, even historic. Much more glory than a mere bounty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.