Hi + some questions

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by LordBen, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordBen

LordBen Avatar

Hi community.

I started playing Shroud of the Avatar 3 days ago and enjoy the game so far. It reminds me a bit of UO, one of my favourite games in the past.

I'm playing the game in offline mode and after finishing the starting area, my char is roaming tier 1-2 zones killing enemies and gathering crafting materials. So far some questions came to my mind, I'm grateful if somebody could answer them

Gear progression
    By now, must of my archery skills hit a level above 50. Still, I don't feel as if I'm really able to kill any better monsters than before. I guess it's due to my beginners gear my char is still wearing.
    In another thread, I read that monsters until late in the game don't really drop quality gear. It was recommended to buy gear from players vendors or start crafting. Since I'm playing offline, buying gear from others is not possible. How long does it take to craft viable weapons and armor? Is there any other way to get good gear?

Binding
    In the manual, I read that it's possible to bind at a town crier and port back to him. Talking to the town crier, I haven't found a dialog option to bind. Did I miss something here?

Housing
    After finishing the beginners quest line, I got a housing deed. I can't use it, I guess because it's for player city housing slots only, right? Where can I buy housing deeds for NPC villages and towns?

Offline mode
    In general, is it possible to enjoy all aspects of the game in offline mode? Or will I miss a lot of content there?

Best regards,
    Ben

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that deed will work anywhere in offline mode.

Colin Storm, Anpu and Numa like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Click the bind keyword in the conversation window or the keyword at the bottom when speaking to any Town Crier. Or manually type the word bind in the dialogue window and press the return key.
    [​IMG]

In general, yes. You just will not be able to use Teleport to Friend Scrolls (sell them), speak to other people in the Universe Chat, own a Player Owned Town, buy gear from other players (you will have to craft your own with masterworks).

If you wish, you can edit your save game file and give yourself millions of XP and gold.

Colin Storm and majoria70 like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to SOTA!

Colin Storm likes this.
  5. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Sorry just my opinion, i have not played the offline version, I expect it has many limitations... But I expect it is a good way to experience the game without some of the online limitations... If/when a player moves to the online game it opens up many options that would not work the same as the offline game...Simple example would be trying to craft your own gear. The crafting system takes time to collect the resources, time and gold to secure the recopies needed for crafting though i expect they might be discoverable in offline mode... Then you need to bring your crafting skills to levels that will help you...at your level even +5 gear will help you advance to higher levels...but soon you will need +10 gear to progress further. I guess the point of my post is to encourage you to play online. The community is very helpful and it will make leveling so much easier and in my option much more enjoyable. The crafting system requires dedication and time to figure out much less mastered... In any event welcome and enjoy!!

Colin Storm likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Loot and resources drop a lot more in offline mode. Even COTO’s.

Colin Storm and Redhammer like this.
  7. Jarek Aumarr

Jarek Aumarr Avatar

I'm +1 for playing the game ONLINE :) There are few limitations, you can even have zones to your self in Private Mode. All the fun in the game is the multiplayer aspects, in my humble opinion. Even for the solo players, being in the world with the full population is a benefit (crafting, buying goods, etc).

Hope you make the switch and we'll see you in game, look me up!

8. Colin Storm

Colin Storm Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia Ben! I've been here in SOTA about 8 months now so still new myself, and I am inclined to agree with Redhammer and Lore that playing online in this particular game has tremendous benefits, number one being the community of players who are always eager and willing to assist in any way. There are many in online mode who do play solo but enjoy the many benefits the community can provide, some of which have been mentioned above. If you do decide to come over to online, one thing that I find helps new players most is strength, which really improves survivability in the first phases of game play (more health and more hitting power). If you come over please contact me ingame (same name) or leave a PM here on the forums and I will happily gift you some jewelry and a cape or backpack that will boost your strength enough to get you to higher tier adventure areas. Regardless your decision, I too wish you welcome and hope to see you around the game.

Redhammer likes this.
  9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

You really can’t go wrong playing online in this game. The community is amazing and like others have said always eager and willing to help. It’s far more community based than most games. It’s a world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.