Hiding player names till...

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lisalibelle, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisalibelle

Lisalibelle Avatar

...they told you their name.

I would like the idea of not seeing the names of other players, till they tell me.
    Like the way it works with the npcs.
    When you first see another player, he could be named Stranger or strange person. Something like this.

Not much more to say ;)

Best wishes
    Lisa

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well we have some options now if you check in the game options you have a choice to 'hide player nameplate' and another choice to 'hide unlearned names'. So if either of those would help you they are available for you to check.

Epona, Ravicus Domdred and Mastese like this.
  3. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Welcome Lisa! Nice to meet you. Interesting idea that would encourage engagement. I suppose it would simply display your current pledge title alone (Adventurer, Ancestor, Citizen, etc) until you were properly introduced. Though it could turn out to be as much a barrier as a conduit for socialization. Still, there's something in the concept that intrigues me...

Either way, hope to see you in the game!

4. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Learned something new today...thanks Majoria!

Ravicus Domdred and majoria70 like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This subject has come up before.. I shall have to find the appropriate thread(s) to plug in a most shameless manner later on. :)

Epona and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Lisalibelle

Lisalibelle Avatar

Thank you all so much for you feedback.
    Havent known it yet, that this option exists, thank you Majoria.

And also I need to say: Till now, I ve only met really nice people in this forum. Thats great and I have got really big hopes for the future, that this politeness stays.

And Bowen, thank you for not raising the "Search-the-forum-sign" to me. Because I really havent searched the forum before I wrote this,... I must apologise ;)

Mastese, for the next few days, people will meet me in the starting areas. But, well, I am not one of those persons who are interested only in the storyline. I am really interested in a big roleplay comunity, with crafterguilds, or skill related guilds, like guards, mages, knights etc.
    So as soon, as I found my way in, I am around, I promise.

But I am not named Lisa ingame.
    Let me introduce myself: Greetings, I am Soraya Hasenfuss, nice to meet ya all

p.s.: Sorry for mistakes I do in writing. I am not using a translater before I write something

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Lot of times it's hard to find stuff when you do search. I only remember a previous post because I wrote it. :) And it's probably about 2 years old now.

Well instead of digging up an ancient thread I'll just reiterate the main idea.. which is essentially what you're suggesting but with some design suggestion..

The premise is that your character can learn character names by catching and parsing dialogue they here. For example.. if I'm within a certain radius of you and my name is mentioned, then your character hears it and you now know my name. That was about the jist of it. Right now that's more or less how it works with NPCs but I believe you have to actually be in an active conversation with them.

Incidentally, NPCs learn your name the same way. Whatever you tell them your name is is what they remember but they won't know your name until you tell them.

Epona likes this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That's why your English is so good! :)

Welcome to SOTA! You will find all the things you mention, but keep in mind that at this stage of the game development lots of people are just logging in to quickly test the mechanics of each new release and get the quest hat. Also, some of the core functionality (e.g. crafting skills) hasn't been implemented yet. So even if there is a lot going on already (community events, etc.) this is really only a "preview of coming attractions". The game experience is getting better and better with each release.

9. Epona

Epona Avatar

Hi Soraya Hasenfuss! It's very nice to meet you. I find that it's mostly, if not all, amiable and friendly people on this forum. Have fun in SotA! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.