Hire system a way to protect PvE players and have PKs and Anti PKs get in!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Saladid, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

Hello all I know we want a total open world pvp, loot all, real RPG world (at least alot of old players). Yet we have people in fear of being attacked all the time and the ruining of there play style. Well I figured out the ultimate way to work every type of real player in the mix.

THE CRAFTER PVEer : Usually the victim of a PKer. He will have the ability to hire guards through a hire system: pull tab from 100-1000gold with option of 1-5 guards

THE ANTI PKer : The hero the BLUE the guard when the player is online he will be able at any time to opt in or out of guard service. What this means if a victim gets attack he will get 100-1000 gold for service and teleport to victim instantly.

THE MURDERER : Hes the guy no one likes the RED. If the red targets THE CRAFTER PvEer or any player that has hired guards except reds, upon the first hit if that player put in a hire for guards the guards will spawn (ANTI PKers)at the victims site of attack.

I feel this system will work great as it will be very fluid. All chars crafter PvEers, anti pks, pkers. Will all be doing what they want to be doing. After the attack is over crafter and anti pker will have to re-Que for service of guards. crafter PvEer :request for service, anti pk: service.

please feed back.

2. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

This all sounds very immersion-breaking.

3. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

This actually sounds like the Mafia. Pay some players to guard you or accidents might happen to you.

4. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I like the idea of hiring guards but somehow all this instant popping in and out sounds a little messy for me. I have really no good ideas how to make this work but i like the concept.

5. marthos

marthos Avatar

There will be a large number of crafters that don't want to deal with PvP at all, and having to hire 1-5 NPC guards in order to do what they love to do is going to be an added burden to them. The guards still won't completely protect them from PKers (unless they are the invicible one-shot kill type of guards, but that kinda kills the whole open pvp world atomsphere). Ultimately the crafters don't want to be loot pinatas for PKers, and since there are dozens of games out there now that cater to that desire, there won't be a massive crafting community in open world pvp games anymore.

Ganking crafters for ez-mode loot or for griefing is not good PvP. I would much rather have development time spent on creating a solid guild war system, guild ownership of castles with seiges mechanics, and interesting story based meaningful PvP scenes. For all the killing and dying that i'm expecting, I want the crafters to be as unhindered as possible to keep my equipment costs cheap.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

This thread evolved into a similar idea:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=proposal-bandit-functionality-positive-pvping

This one a little different:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=abstract-companions

The one thing that they all have in common is the mystery of not knowing what you will be facing.

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Surprise! Another post about PvE and PKs.

I think if you look at the videos and understand how the game is being designed it would be clear that a system like this won't be necessary. Not that some of the ideas don't have some merit, but would not need to be used in the OP context such as mitigating PvEr and PKer interaction.

I really think we need to just hold for a few months until we get more information on the game. I don't think that continually making new threads about features that are still being developed is productive. No offense to the original poster, but there are many of threads where this post would be on-topic and not touch raw nerves over the flood of rehashed threads on PKing.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

I disagree Umbrae.

For starters, this is the PvP section of the forums so it only makes sense that there would be a lot of PvE versus PK discussion here.

Secondly, though a lot of the threads cover similar ground they are not carbon copies of each other. Some times it is good to start with a fresh slate.

Lastly, I very much disagree with your suggestion that we hold off on discussing potential features while they are still being developed. The guys at Portalarium have mentioned numerous times that they value our input and in a number of instances it has caused them to tweak or rethink their initial plans. Portalarium does not wish to work in a vacuum so it is important that they know what is important to us and what is not, what compromises and concessions players are willing to make, and what concerns we have that need to be addressed.

Once we have an alpha build in your hands we will all have a much better sense of where Portalarium is going with this game. Until then I think it is healthy and productive that we actively discuss the possibilities even if it does ruffle a few feathers.

9. Margard

Margard Avatar

@ND3G
    I think enough feathers have been ruffled - and discussions about PvP - have not really evolved past (full loot, minimal death penalty, karma systems - and the crowd favorite - I want my UO)

I'm not saying those things should not be discussed - but a cease fire for a week or two would help - As someone who is new to this community and has had a lot of free time to read over 90% of the discussions - and I notice the trend, that threads are purposely being created to hash out the same ideas; it may be time for a break of sorts.

As a new member of your community and who for the most part is neutral - I intend to take part in all aspects of the game, so I want all of them to be great. But many of these discussions are not productive at the moment; because people are not trying to actually have a discussion - they primarily seem to want to steam roll the other person into opting out of the discussion (which I may add has already impacted the game - think flag system, people asking for blacklist, mechanisms to force people to be separated - affecting time, energy, money away from what could make this game rock - as apposed to how do we keep these folks from killing each other)

I also think - that people can get turned off the game by the language that folks are using in the forums - and the entrenching that is going on - that is only going to push people away - the game losses when that happens - and these discussions are really going no where (that is not to say that some discussions have not provided good content for the dev team to look at)

My primary concern is that the game has a year to go before it is released - and if people are attacking each other in the forums - I may turn a lot of people away (people like me - people that are attracted to games for the community they are joining - when said goal is to have lots of community interaction)

I think I already lost something from this game - I wanted to be playing in the world were I might run into Lordrex and Holt side by side - I don't think that is going to happen now

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@ND3G

I understand your points. Call it bickering fatigue on my end which many of these tend to be a magnet for, and I am not certain many will be relevant. This thread for example: I really don't see PVE and PK interaction to intersect unless they want too.

But you make valid points even if my head still hurts every time I see another similar thread launch. Guess its better than putting everything under a "demands" thread.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

@Margard

What I think would ultimately turn off far more people than arguing in the forms is a poorly implemented PvP system. I would not deny that many of the current threads are little more than shouting matches though.

The fact of the matter is that there are two very distinct groups of Ultima fans with very distinct interests. Many on either side of the PvP/PvE argument seem willing to walk away from this project if they do see their goals realized. For that reason, I do not see a compromise that will have players from either side interacting to any large extent in the game world.

That is not necessarily a bad thing though. It is better for Portalarium that they have two (or more) groups of players playing in separate and distinctly different representations of the world than for one group to get what they want while the other abandons the game.

Then again, Portalarium might surprise us all and create a world that we can all live with.

12. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think a lot of it stems from every thread getting derailed and dragged off topic. Then after several pages of BS someone decides to make a fresh start.

I like the idea of calling reinforcements. I don't expect a lot of discussion though because it's new ground and no one has their go-to arguments to throw around. That and as far as we know it may just be a waste of time.

The OPs idea is to be less vulnerable. If I appear to be alone in the woods, I'm less likely to be attacked if there is a chance that I am actually being guarded by someone or something. Maybe my pet is wandering around or maybe there is a henchman hidden in the nearby forest.

A clone spell that causes myself to duplicate every time I take damage would be way overpowered. Not letting a party reach numbers higher that 5 by allowing 4 slots to the party leader would be an example of how to make a more balanced game for everyone (depending on how combat works).

The slots could be filled with a variety of things: Pets, Henchmen, Players, Spells..

I have heard Richard mention the possibility of 10's of people per hex. Something is going to have to give if only 10 players will fit in an instance. A group of 6 people will always have the advantage otherwise.

I think the subject has more than enough merit to be discussed even if we don't have a clue yet. Someone may discover an idea along the way that the devs find useful. The ranting and derailing is what is counter productive. I'm guilty myself. You can only argue so much before you start imagining trolls everywhere. Maybe even test out trolling a little yourself.

13. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Acrylic, you realize that for the OP to "have merit" you have to first have your "total open world pvp, loot all", right?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

There will be PvP and if I'm flagged for it, I will likely be grouped that way. If the rewards are greater in PvP zones, then some players are going to want to play that way. His idea leaves players less vulnerable to being ganked.

Using the Idea to sell Full Loot and Open PvP might not have been the best approach but the idea itself has merit.

15. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

Could we please talk about the idea i have posted. I feel it would work rather well.

The PvE char now does not have to worry about being killed all the time now that he has a guard system.

The Griefer now cant just go around everywhere killing PvE crafter chars that have no combat skills.

Anti PKs now dont have to worry about camping a mine all day long waiting for a red to possibly kill there Crafter friend.

The guards are not NPCs they are infact Blue players called in to be the guards. The whole community comes together in a very fluid system.

As opposed to being very broken time consuming.

The crafter does not have to run to town find a good player to follow them the whole day while they harvest in the wild.

The Blue can be out adventuring in Que for guard service and be called to rescue and do some PvP.

And the red no one likes finally gets put in check from griefing. He has to think to him self did this guy by his taxes to be protected by guards and how much tax did he pay how many guards will he have.

It also works as a gold sink as most crafters in a lot of games now can run bots with no gold lose there for wreak an economy.

Thanks again for reading!

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

I posted this earlier...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=means-for-player-protection

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you want to hire an Anti-PK, hire one (or more). I don't think an I-wish-you-were-dead teleportation system is necessary or desirable.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

I think if a Non-PvPer wants to hire on a sell-sword for protection they can just work that out between the two players. I dont think you would need to add a system to the game.

Maybe just add a posting board in towns where one could request assistance. Maybe player run newspapers could have a help wanted section. These both could be used for guild recruitment, resource supplier requests, adventuring party grouping, in addition to crafting advertisements and the usual spam you see in most games general chat.

I probably wouldnt hire someone as a guard outside of RP reasons, I think my non-PvP character(s) will probably just try to avoid PvP areas and buy their goods from PvPers... If I do venture into a PvP area for whatever reasons, I will probably try to talk my way out of a PvP engagement.

"Kill me if you must, but know that I have nothing of value on my person" "If you spare my life I give you my word that I will craft you a masterfully forged weapon of your choosing"
    If that doesnt work, I will run...

19. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

With PVP and PK I really don't see a need. The scene and instancing system should separate people with different playstyles and any PVP only area are not likely to have anything non-PVP would want or need.

However, there does need to be a system to bring people together. Say you want to talk to the player that owns a store or want to post a job such as guarding or material gathering. I would not say teleporting or anything. You would just put out a call, somone would accept it and have to travel to the scene location. Once you enter the scene you would be pulled into the instance that contains the player who owns the "job".

I imagine a similar type mechanism would be used to fill in your friends. A job trigger would just be a one time flag to meet up with a player.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

What keeps the blue from collecting the reward, teleporting to your side and then doing nothing?

Why not let players hire NPCs if they want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.