Hittin' the Skins...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gopostalman, Mar 27, 2015.

?

User Created Content (Models/Skins) (Steam Workshop)

1. Totally!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nuh-uh

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gopostalman

gopostalman Avatar

Hey all!
    I'm new to posting on the forums; been a lurker since i first dropped the donation.
    Of course, i see many articles of people complaining about graphic detail, and i see many counter articles and explanations that. Of course, this is a work in progress and that the level of detail will continue to increase.

That said, is there ANY WAY that we can have free, pro-bono, range, to update character skins? =P
    We just need the meshes!! THE MESHESSS!!

On a serious note; is there any thought for future contests being that of Skinning/Texturing? I would enjoy this very much.

<3

fattymoomooman likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You don't even need the meshes. All you need is a decent UVW map of the meshes.

Dev+ backers have access to the basic character meshes btw. I would find it extremely unlikely that we'll see any kind of contest.

Ice Queen and fattymoomooman like this.
  3. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

Whereas just allowing character skins to be replaced to be seen by anyone in online mode without restriction could pose issues both in terms of copyright infringement and unsuitable material being used, I don't see why the skins could not be replaced on the local system so that just the local user saw them when online or could use them in single player mode.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi gopostalman and cool that you posted and stopped lurking. Well if you like doing meshes and have a Dev+ account perhaps you can bring up the idea of a contest or some way to help out.:)

fattymoomooman and Ice Queen like this.
  5. gopostalman

gopostalman Avatar

Thanks for the input!
    I wish i had Dev+ account... but $450 is a bit too steep a price to be, potentially, doing pro-bono work. I'd like a "free" option to allow me to submit some "free" content, that they might be able to just slap on and use; granting a shout out to the author for the work. Call me cheap; head of household, with a wife and child, and i do not have that kind of money for digital-wares.
    Maybe if there was a $100 package that allows you some Dev+ time, but doesn't give you a house and extra digital content? Having a deep wallet doesn't necessarily make you an asset to a developer community in the same way you'd need them to be an asset; unless the asset is $450

They have had contests for full unity maps... i find it peculiar that they might not think of a skinning contest, or consider the request for one.

No disrespect at all, by the way. I know text has terrible translation tones. Love the game, regardless, and will continue to play and enjoy what comes next.
    Thanks for the welcomes!

6. gopostalman

gopostalman Avatar

Oh, yes i don't believe i'd like free entry of user based content, with the rest of the community. Of course, i would expect it to be a submission/approval based system, if it existed.

The point of this topic was really just to see we would get a chance to re-skin the player character models =P.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh no worries and I totally understand what you are saying. I can imagine if I were married, well I was lol so I can for sure;) and he was not a gamer like me. Not the end of the marriage in my case but for some. Sorry got off my point sheesh. Anyway I just did payments and have been here since 2013 and that was my choice. Would I have done it if I had to argue with someone about whether I should do it or not, perhaps I would have just made the initial pledge for myself since I love the idea of what this game will be. So it is fine whereever you are. I think it would be great for you to be able to contribute, who knows if you put something together and present it to portalarium and they love it and want it, then who knows. So if we always think inside the box what fun is that? lol Also giving feedback is so important, I look forward to hearing what you have to say.:)

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

at this point, your only real option is to go dev+ to get access to the model(s), textures, and shaders. However, the chance of that actually making it into the game (to replace port's existing version) is slim.

EDIT: sorry, looks like my points have already been addressed... i needed to refresh my page :p

fattymoomooman and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.