Holdfasts and wasted space

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Malchor1, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

In a sprawled out scene, of course you will need plenty more light sources. In a structured town, key light sources in specific areas can make all the difference such as having street lights (along structured streets, which should be included with towns), a few lighting sources along key structures, a lit town center (which should come with all towns). So I think it's the size of the scene contributing just as much to the need for large amounts of lighting.

2. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

I know this won't be for episode 1 but now that my Holdfast is in game I was thinking and had an idea to run past those with larger PoT owner community.

The challenge seems to be two things. Performance of the instance and not devalue larger town purchases.

This is assuming lot decoration is stored separate from the town structure as it keeps track of those items independently. So really the PoT is just keeping track of a single item, the lot. This of course is similar to it keeping track of a single decoration item (not counting light sources which do have additional overhead).

So what if we were able to either place a lot marker or a single town decoration item? That way the larger PoT will still have the possibility of more but the smaller town that maybe won't use all the plots could trade in for additional decoration items and no additional server lag because its a 1 for 1 item to keep track of. Please reference the following list that represents the maximum number of row lots placeable per town, and possible maximum number of additional decoration items.

MAX ROW LOTS
    -----------------------
    Holdfast 84
    Hamlet 132
    Village 168
    Crossroads 224
    Town 336
    City 448
    Metropolis 556

Of course the larger the lot you place the more it will take away from this total. So based on lot size if you placed the following it would remove the associated number of possible items from the total.

ROW 1
    VILLAGE 4
    TOWN 8
    CITY 16
    KEEP 32
    CASTLE 64

So for example if in my Holdfast I was to place 12 Village lots that would remove 48 items from my total leaving me with an additional 36 decoration items.

Light sources are tied to graphic optimization so that would be a separate issue, but I believe I did read somewhere that as performance increased the possibility of more light sources is being considered.

This is of course a work in progress and I'm sure there is some scenario I'm not thinking about, or some technical back end that doesn't work as imagined.

3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Interesting idea.

4. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

I kind of like this idea. It seems to give more functionality to smaller pot's and possibly larger ones if they so choose. More choices is always a good thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.