Holdfasts and wasted space

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Malchor1, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So let's see here. For the Daedalusian market trial
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s-the-daedalusian-market-concept-trial.37032/
    I did a lot of POT deco.

There are lots of options for being creative outside of the addon store.
    You can craft streetlamps, pavers, walls, blocks, etc. There are plenty of NPC deco that one can "borrow" or buy.
    The diversity comes from creativity.

Yes it's easier to be more creative or add a bit of flair using fancy store decorations. As evidenced by those pics I had a bunch of friends to borrow some stuff from. But it's not even close to being a requisite for diversity.

What is holding most owners back is the grinding to get to such levels of crafting, purchasing and decorations on top of testing and adventuring. Knowing that the wipes are coming to take it all away.
    So most don't bother. They place their dynamic lots and that is about it.
    Those who do bother are usually those who have a whole team to help out or which gets a boon from TPTB.

Now the only thing I actually miss is the farming stuff. Right now the variety of trees and bushes is very limited and you almost have to resort to some store or pledge items to get diversity. However we know more is coming this quarter.

2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I'm all for more deco options; Like... heck.... I'd love to be able to turn the Wal Mart zone into grassland. Streets... lights.... etc.. cool BUT; I'd like to see those items craftable and not just more add on store pixel crack. I haven't tried placing buildings (like the stable or w/e it's called) in other spots than the lot.. but with all the open space I'd hope we could place them wherever we wanted.
    It'd be nice too (maybe this is in the pipeline) to be able to add just an NPC store; a holdfast only allows for 1, if I don't want more player lots I'd still like to be able to add an NPC for less than $500 LOL.

As for the "size" of the instance...I for one wouldn't be pleased if my overall size were reduced. As it is (I just have the holdfast) I can allow for people to have a "country" living experience instead of having my POT look like NYC.

just my 2 cents again

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Why can you not place lots outside of the "Stone Square" in the center? Sorry but you are doing something wrong. There are places all OVER where you can place houses in the Forest Biome. What Biome are you in?

Womby likes this.
  4. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Oh, there are lots of places where you can place lots all over. There just aren't enough places where you can place lots next to each other in a sensible layout due to that stupid bumps.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ty I know but not what he said he is saying he can only place on the stones - sorry that is Dead wrong.

Jacqueline and Womby like this.
  6. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I would love to decorate my pot with a lot more trees, bushes etc. so its actually a densly wooded island. What is holding me back doing this are the much too low item limits. To use all the space, that i love to have in the scene, the limits should be multiplied by 100 at least.

7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Yes i have been placing buildings in more areas after reviewing the map. The expansiveness of the forest biome,however,doesn't really work for what we intended. I get it, some people enjoy the "country living" aspect of it but it doesnt have the feel of a town. It has the feel of a forest with a big parking lot in the middle. Hopefully changes to size will occur along with further tailoring of what our holdfast was intended to be

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

One of my frustrations is the current main template. If you have a smaller PoT then the square is just too big.......if you try and create the town square elsewhere you start to run into difficulties over enough flat land.......and not being able to place enough deco to make the place look reasonable.

As things stand every PoT owner has a metro template, the scale down on the amount of deco you can place in a smaller PoT feels a little unreasonable......it would be good if that could be addressed even if it meant a "small" charge to unlock the abiity to place more items.

9. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Just the same as with bank slots. Upgrade deco limit as an add-on store item. Would be happy with that if the price tag shows an affordable amount.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

@DarkStarr would this be possible?

11. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

I remember seeing this back in March...
    If PoT owners can increase number of external objects via add-on store, they can place fences outside the lots to simulate larger lot sizes. This will devalue large lot deeds.

I, for example have "Lord Marshal's Great Hall", which is ugly huge to place on a town lot. If I can spend $100 to buy enough additional external decoration slots, I can make it appear as if it is located in a City lot with spacious extra spaces without purchasing the city deeds.

If they can change placement cost of most objects (including lamps) to be less compared to big object like fences, that would be great.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Solazur, Albus and Spoon like this.
  12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Not for Episode 1.

13. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

What are the current item limits for each of the PoT sizes? I haven't seen that posted anywhere.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Bones13 [MGT] and Retlaw like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What about the idea that smaller POTs use smaller maps (or at least have the option for this)? I know some POT owners that were hoping for smaller amounts of land that gave their scenes a smaller look and feel. Would it be possible to take a holdfast chunk out of an existing Metropolis map to accomplish this goal?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Not for Episode 1 (note you will hear me saying that a lot as we get closer to Alpha).

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's fair. But how does that apply to Player Owned Town design? Static vs. Dynamic? Are we still on track to have those for EP1?

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yay!! Go go Alpha!

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Go Find other town templates that are out there take your maps with you wander around them and see what you like, I might suggest the Island template, much more what I think you are looking for.

They are not going to change the fact that ALL towns will have the same space capable of handling a Metro, Unless oyu are willing to pay for a Private Unique template.

20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Technically when we were asked to design our towns and supply a map/ background story we were designing and paying for a unique template with a design session as well. What we got were generic one size fits all scenes that dont include living wildlife? Which is fine for some who like the idea of an expansive scene. I envisioned owning a town. I had envisioned a walled off defensible harbor town with the design infrastructure to match and some surrounding woodland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.