House questions

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Tegner, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tegner

Tegner Avatar

I am completely new to SOTA and have been trying to determine how much to invest into it. I am interested in housing but honestly it is difficult to find up to date information that addresses how it all works in one place. All the information seems so spread out. There seems to be many different facets, which is great, I can't seem to find a one stop shop so to speak. Is there such a place?

A few other questions:
    I understand you need a lot deed (or village etc) and a house deed. Also the only lot deeds left apparently are in player owned towns at least according to the ad on store. Beyond that the information is really scattered and frankly I am finding it frustrating to compile it.
    Somewhere I read about "Player run towns" but I don't know much more about them than they are player run. Do they exist? Is there housing there? What is the appeal to them over a POT?
    You need permission to be in a POT, if they kick you out what happens to the deeds you have paid for?
    If you want to move can you?
    There are according to some player owned town websites in game 1 month or more receipts you can purchase in their town? Are they the same as regular houses, they just go away after that amount of time?
    Is there a reason not to purchase a deed with real $$ other than I would rather spend money made in the game?

I have tried to some extent to answer these questions on my own. I know how some people get upset when questions are posted that already have obvious answers to. So please take no offense! I am just tired of trying to decipher old build info new build info and what may or may not be "official". Thank you for any assistance!

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

"Place Anywhere" deeds (as they are called) are achievable by playing in the monthly raffle (you purchase raffle tickets in-game for a set amount of gold).

You can also simply buy them from other players (previously raffle winners who don't need the deed themselves for instance). Advertising for one in the Marketplace forum is probably a good route.

"Tax Free" POT-only deeds are available via the Bundles available on the Add-on store. While the "Taxed" versions are available unbundled on the Add-on store as well.

PRTs are essentially overflow parking, they are suburbs created to house everyone who was unable to fit into the Story towns.

They may eventually receive additional functionality, but at the moment, that is the extent of it.

The appeal over a POT is you will never be evicted at the whim of the town's owner. That is a big fear for some people... Even though you'll never lose your stuff, the effort in setting your house up again in a new location can be a nuisance.

Whether you require permission or not is defined by the Governor. They can set certain lots in their town to "Publicly Available", meaning anyone with the correct deed can simply walk in and claim the location, without speaking with them first.

(That is the way I have my own town set up for instance).

Other towns require that you speak with the Governor first, after which they will assign you a lot to use.

If you are evicted, *everything*, including the lot deed goes back into your bank account.

Absolutely, at any time you want.

The deeds available in the Add-On store bundles are Tax-free, so you don't need to pay in-game rent to maintain them.

Purchasing them in-game is available via the Raffle, which is a gamble, with no guarantee you will ever win.

----

Hope that helps. :)

3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Welcome Tegner. Thrilled to have you with us.

Quick break down:

Town types =
    PRT = Developer created town but no story is ever or will ever be part of it. Also, no (or little) customization to these scenes. (technically this can change, but dev feedback has repeatedly made it sound unlikely to change).
    POT = Player purchased town with layout controlled (within very small margin) by the owner of the town.
    NPC = Developer created town with story elements eventually planned to be implemented. Lots of customization as they manage to unclone the scenes.

Deeds =
    Place anywhere = PRT, POT, NPC
    POT Only = only in POT (don't think it can go in PRT)
    Taxed = pay set amount of gold based on pledge size daily (can pay in advance I think 120 days or something like that)
    Tax free = no tax ever, set limit to when something must be changed or it goes to bank (time limit set based on pledge level)

No real appeal for PRT over POT in my opinion.

Yes, you can be booted from a POT if the owner wants. Most owners won't without a good reason. Lots of towns have web sites or forum posts explaining their vision.

You are welcome to move anywhere that your deed is able to go at anytime you want (POT only can't move to a non-POT location). POT owners can set their lots to restricted, permission only, or freely available.

Currently, if you were looking to buy to live in a POT, real money is just fine (can possibly get it cheaper in the player market here). If you want place anywhere, either player market place or buy lot raffle deeds.

***Ninjad by NRaas 8^p

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Most of our community is pretty good at answering stuff or posting links for where to go. Also, our forums are a mess for trying to find specific information. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask (also feel free to shoot me a PM if you want).

I'm stuck at work currently, but if you add me as a friend (same name as on here) and shoot me an OI when I'm on I'll happily go over any other in game questions as well. I'm usually on 6-10(ish) pm PST during the week and randomly on the weekend.

http://www.sotamap.com/ - this is a great interact-able resource for seeing where towns and locations are if you want to try to find a specific place based on the area you want to live.

Also, here are some great resources:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-housing-primer.67073/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-town-list-pre-final-wipe.27950/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-town-list-post-final-wipe.58538/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Tegner

Tegner Avatar

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks for all the info and links! Moiseyev I will add you for sure. Thanks!

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Tegner!

7. Acred

Acred Avatar

Welcome to SotA, @Tegner !

Have fun and prosper. :D

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Tegner. Welcome to Shrouds and I agree it should not be a stressful thing. If you come to Wizards Rest I would be happy to give you a place to stay while you get the game figured out. There is no purpose for player owned town owners to kick people out. Truly it is to our benefit to have a full town, plus most of us love having our little towns and don't micro manage people. Eventually there will be a buff for having a full town from statues in the town. If you are in game, let me know I will be happy to help you. I am Majoria in the game, we have rooms free for people in need, so no need to stress.

9. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

You would be Welcome also in Port Pheonix,,We have rooms in Capital Building where you can get a chest assigned to you and you can place a bed..So a place to rest and look around

firesparx, Tegner, Mata and 1 other person like this.
  10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Since the community already addressed your questions.. I'll just say: we are happy to have you with us. Welcome to the SotA family!

firesparx, Mata and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  11. Tegner

Tegner Avatar

Again thanks everyone the community here seems pretty cool...

12. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome Tegner :)

Moiseyev Trueden and Mata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.