How about we start a moritorium on posting of Quest Walk thrus for at least 2 weeks from publishes?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Weins201, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I like the walk thrus and those that have generated them AWSOME work but how about we let the game go at least 1/2 to the next release before we post walk thrus??

Just an idea?

Would be nice to have players actually work the quests other than just hop on and race thru them :)

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I understand the reasoning behind this suggestion, but I would prefer to leave it up to the individual to decide whether or not to use a walk-through to complete a quest, and walk-through authors might agree.

Many people log in only once a month to complete the hat quest and have valid reasons for doing so. There are some hat quest areas which would be impossible for a casual level 5 player to complete without a walk-through. Imagine a level 5 player wandering around the Spectral Foothills looking for the mine entrance :eek:.

With my level 5 account (Sara Brae), I entered the Spectral Mine through the sewer system (a different path than the one described in Envy's video), avoiding any enemies whatsoever until I reached the mine. Once in the mine itself, I barely managed to talk to the tour guide before being killed by the couple of skeletons hanging out near the guide. If I hadn't had the knowledge of the sewer route, I would have had to seriously level up my avatar before exploring for the tour guide.

Jatvardur, TRLobo, smack and 2 others like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

How would you want to enforce this anyway?

Jatvardur, TRLobo and Katrina Bekers like this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In the day and age of internet, one such moratorium would be simply wishful thinking.

You can't prevent anyone from producing, posting, finding and using any walkthru.

And even if people race to them, what's wrong with that? There's a prize to win?

I'd say they're ruining their own fun, too bad for them. But in the end, they're free to do as they please.

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

If you don't like the idea of 'zerging' a quest then don't look up (or click on) the walkthroughs, too easy! But this question bothers me more: why would somebody care about how others play a game?

margaritte, Jatvardur, TRLobo and 3 others like this.
  6. Lained

Lained Avatar

There are players like myself that don't want to play the game until it's complete, the walk throughs allow us to claim the release hats without opening up too much of the world.

Jatvardur, TRLobo, Heradite and 2 others like this.
  7. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I think the sooner the masses get in to test the system each release, with the amount of traffic heightened by the publicity from these helpful videos, the better off the game designers will be as feedback will hit this page a bit quicker and help drive their developmental direction. Typically the videos take a few days to hit the web which seemingly gives the team a few days to beat back some of the bugs before more people log-in following the walk-through releases.

There was maybe one video that was actual quest related that I was slightly annoyed by as it skipped over the opening of the quest entirely in lieu of first gathering items to gain rewards (in our testing environment). Just a pet peeve I guess. Anyway, I can see where this could potentially be annoying for actual quests at game launch, but its likely going to occur.

Jatvardur and TRLobo like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say most videos are very well labelled to advertise what they are actually about. If players don't want spoilers then they don't have to watch them......its a choice.

majoria70, Jatvardur, TRLobo and 3 others like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I do like the spirit of Weins' OP. Speaking for myself, I like to do the hat quest ASAP. If there's a video available (thanks Envy, Mad Hermit, and others) then I'll "cheat" and "get the quest over with". In prior releases, the How To videos came out later, and I usually made my own way through the quest. More immersive and more satisfying, and required more exploration of the game.

Now, admittedly this is because I have no willpower to just do the quest without available help, but ..... Weins does have a point. I'd love to see these videos appear many days after release, just to keep lazy folks like myself from using them as an easy pass.

This, in a nutshell, is one of the fundamental difference between conservatism and liberalism, in our little gaming context. Do you have a truly free, unregulated market, or do you do some paternalistic things to keep people from hurting themselves?

TRLobo likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

I look at it more as a meta-game of enticement, of which we know this game about virtues will try to entice us to do many things we wouldn't otherwise do both for our benefit and to our detriment. It's about choices and consequences and owning it.

With that, here's the final boss in the game, that I extracted from the game binaries: Click on it, if you so desire.
    [​IMG]

11. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

"Like, like, like, like, like, like, like"...ad infinitum

Jatvardur likes this.
  12. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

So then...let's declare a moratorium.

In the event of a moratorium, please PM me and I will offer my services as a 61st level guide at my earliest convenience for as many folks as would like to tag along. As frequently as necessary. Gratis.

I am usually awake and first in game between 4AM and 6AM Texas (Central) time. I pop in and out of both the forii and the game, frequently throughout the day. In the event you cannot reach me, please leave a message. I will get back to you.

13. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Great...I have to kill
    Bill Murray
    ? That stinks. Seeing him get blown away in
    Zombieland
    was bad enough. I almost wept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.