How can I tell what adventure level I am?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I truly love this example. Those are the types of feelings we, as a gaming community, want SotA to be capable of evoking :) And slowly but surely I believe we're headed there, the direction is sound, even though the road is rocky as hell.

Time Lord and Nikko like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I will not be surprised when AL is impossible to get as that is clearly the intended. That would prevent all related questions on its relationship to anything else.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Not really. We could still prove what it is doing by creating a character in offline mode, giving it 100,000,000 XP (keeping it in the pool), and then killing mobs that we shouldn't be able to kill with all combat skills at 1 or 20...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Why? Hiding it wouldn't make it any less important.

Lazlo and Time Lord like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is already hidden, hint, hint. Players are not expected to be log diving. It is profoundly easy to put in the GUI, but they don't want you to know as the game is not level based. Originally, MOBs were not color coded and zones did not have skull ratings either. It was supposed to be fight at your own risk.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I've never really understood why it isn't already this way. I've always gotten the impression that the developers would like the game to not be about levels, and as far as I can tell, most players seem to be fine with that idea also.

Time Lord and Spoon like this.
  7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Mobs got colored around the time they started hiding the adv level. If they completely hide adv level we'll have folks posting in the forum wondering why their friends have twice the HP and focus that they do.

Hiding the information doesn't mean people will stop being interested in it, entire online ecosystems spring up around games that hide critical pieces of information like that.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Technically, originally AL was also not hidden either.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Solid point, but that is the game design. I don't mind the way it is. I always hated maxing in other games because it discourages having fun by focusing on being competitive over doing what you want. For the most part, you don't have to level in the game in any significant way unless you are PvP focused.

I always hated going into dungeons in other games because there were those that had to be best and ***** at everyone who wasn't.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Adventure level is an overall measure of the total progression of your character.

The number itself has absolutlely no calculation in pvp combat, use to be PART of the calculation to determine your hit chance for melee in pve.

Now, in pve, the highest number of eithe your adv level or weapon skill level is used to determine your hit chance, and aside from that it only increases you health and focus a bit.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

SotA design is a grind-a-thon, for better or worse. If we cut the devs some slack and assume the game will be loaded with awesome content at launch, the vast majority of that content will be gated by difficulty. How the game is designed, two characters can having almost identical skills in a weapon but one can be vastly more combat effective if they gave ground through a magic tree or two, even if they are only using weapons and armor with the same skills as the other player. Level is the only and best way to determine if you are ready for an area.

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I have about 2 combat skills above my adventure level, hence it matters a lot for me.

Folks have posted how at higher levels adv level is responsible for the majority of you health and focus.

13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is exactly the problem we're trying to identify, and define here. It seems to STILL be level based. The skills help, yes, but I feel like they are something like 50% of the real "power" that people possess in the game. The skill stuff is sort of a half-lie.

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I would argue that the skill levels are a much better indicator and coincidentally the adventurer level is proportional to skill levels. It is however, possible to have a level 70 AL, and die in a noob zone if the skills you are using are not leveled up.

EMPstrike likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

see my post above for what adv level actually affects. It also affects a creatures chance to hit you, but there is a broad range (like +-20 levels) before thats very noticable. EDIT: alley oop corrected me, it no longer affects a creatures chance to hit you

This is no longer the case. Most of a characters health is attributed to strength and Healthy skill, and depending on the character, gear.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The real power of a character is coming from strength, dex, int, attunment. The adv level number only has a minor role in health/focus and (if your weapon skill is lower) melee hit chance in pve.

I have confused friends 20-30 levels higher than me as to how i was doing so much damage in combat when i was lvl 60-70 EDIT: they tried to take many skill trees at once. I specialized in light armor melee so my skills were higher

Nikko and Tahru like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Nikko, Tahru and EMPstrike like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I wish that was true. But the info we get from Chris says otherwise.
    Yes the base stats and your skill selection are really really really important BUT when calculating health and focus they are multiplied with the base which is dependent on Adventure Level.
    So if P1 and P2 have the exact same skills giving the exact same STR DEX INT values but P1 is Adventure Level 80 and P2 is Level 100 then P2 will according to the info from Chris have 17% more focus and 14% more health. Which would have a major impact in things like PvP.

Now I haven't tested myself if what Chris states is true in game (there are potentially some bugs regarding STR to health math) but if one has artifacts which increase the Adventure Level then one could easily check if the math actually adds up that way. Or if one simply add some xp in offline mode.

EMPstrike likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

According to that formula it looks like at level 100 your base healths goes from 200 to 500. And if a lvl 100 has 800 health then lvl is the biggest factor in health at that point. So spoon is correct.

EDIT: hold on. Base health isnt 200, because my character would have more health than it does

If base health is 100 then lvl 100 has 350 max health without any other stats. So what is "base health"?

EDIT: base hp is 130? So adv level adds 325 base health at lvl 100. Roughly the same ammount of health 160ish strength adds. So yea spoon is correct

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.