How do you write about Truth, Love and Courage?

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Vyrin, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Three virtues will take center stage in New Britannia, and we have already heard them referenced in BotA. In the restoration of civilization after the cataclysm, there should be those who have thought about and written about these in different ways. So one of the questions is: how have they chronicled their ideas of truth, love and courage?

My first thought (and there are many more to be had) is that each virtue would align more closely with a form or style of writing. Love is perhaps best rendered in poetry. But also song, adventures, and comedies. Courage is visible in epics, biographies of famous figures, moral exhorations, and martial strategy. Truth is conveyed in proverbs, reports, history, philosophy and fables.

Do you have ideas about how to write about these virtues? Share them here!

To explore this idea, I'm going to use this as the launching point for a series of books, and you're welcome to join me in trying to represent these virtues in their own unique way. Some of you have already done so in what you've written, and if you would like to give those stories a nod here, go ahead. Editing of these can be done on our Round Table site if you are interested.

My idea is that the series was collected by a man named Paren Vonne. He started life as a farmer, then became a baker, then spent time as an adventurer, and much more besides. He never had great success at any of them and so felt his life hadn't amounted to much. As he pondered all his missed opportunities, failures and hard breaks, he believed that if he had only been schooled in the virtues at an earlier age, he would have had a much more fulfilling journey. Because of this, he set out to collect books reflecting the virtues, to bequeath to younger generations this hard lesson learned. But he also did it to feel like at least one thing in his life would count for something after he was gone. As he died, he gave what he had collected to his son who was unfortunately only interested in personal profit. This became the last sad chapter of Paren Vonne's story. Paren's son sold the collection to a bookseller for a sum far below what it was truly worth. Realizing this, the bookseller started to reproduce the collection and publicize it around Novia. Nobles and librarians worked hard to acquire it. Some of them even used it to teach their children. In the end, Paren did achieve the fulfillment he desired, despite an unfortunate life and an unvirtuous chain of events.

I provide for you one of the first volumes he added to his collection. It is one segment from a larger compilation called the Wisdom of Sequanna. She was the Titan most representative of love, and this segment is a bit of poetry. Many who were brought into the court of the Titans tried to recall what they said and pass it to others orally and in writing. There is no guarantee that this was originally something Sequanna said, but everyone believes it to be so.

Love at All Times from the Wisdom of Sequanna

Love in the Spring is new,
    Appearing with dawn's beauty,
    Making bold its advance,
    Setting out for new adventures.

Love in the Summer is full,
    Savoring nature's goodness,
    Exploring the depths of everything,
    Strengthening into fidelity.

Love in the Fall is true,
    Producing blessings for all,
    Giving more than receiving,
    Accepting hardship with grace.

Love in the Winter is eternal,
    Bowing humble in wisdom,
    Hoping even as night falls,
    Abiding when all else is gone.

So there it is! Share your thoughts about writing about these virtues, add volumes to the collection, or provide suggestions on the poem, here or on the Round Table.

blaquerogue, Asclepius, Womby and 8 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Good ideas.

Although I would add there are cross-overs for all of these. Epic poetry for instance would be suitable for courage, like the Romance of Alexander and the Odyssey. I own a devotional book by a 17th century priest, Jean-Baptiste-Elie Avrillon, which for every week of the year has a meditation on a different form of love. Allegorical poetry like the Divine Comedy is about revealing truth.

3. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I believe I shall like to bring forward one of my newest poems. Written for a very special person who shall always be part of the community and a part of Amber's story - Mori Tura!

Perhaps I may be wrong, I feel this represents all of those 3 foundations of the 8. Yes, yes. Virtues... Even the chaotic *can* be virtuous. They often do. The difference is... we on this path *choose* when, where and why.

This will be entered into a larger book entitled "From Beyond the Grave", a sequel to my already created book "From the Grave and Beyond".

Thank You For Giving Me Hope

Feeling the tears well up in my eyes
    I fight them back, I do not want to cry
    This is the hardest thing i will have to do
    Wear this mask of smiles as we say goodbye to you

My heart shatters and I just want to hide
    racing for the shadows, "safer here" i lied
    Facing the people, I worry and dread
    This pain in my heart making me wish i was dead

With a brush you stroked the very essence of my soul
    Gave me strength to move forward when life dealt such blows
    For you helped me awaken the greatness in me
    Without your help it may have never been seen.

With colours more vibrant then my personal greys
    You helped me learn of a future with brighter days
    Now the clouds have rolled over, the sky turned pitch black
    I am returned to the shadows, where I can not be attacked.

A feeling of cold darkness enters my soul
    Alone once again, can I keep fighting, i do not know.
    No one will ever understand the strength I got from you
    Watching you create masterpieces as only you can do

NO one will ever understand what I am trying to say
    Why I feel like this for you, you helped show me the way
    I soon started to remember what you helped me want from my life
    I must seek out the light, it will hurt but it will be alright

Things will move forward, although my heart feels like dying
    I will face another day, with an exclamation mark
    ... of sighing.

Asclepius, Time Lord, Womby and 6 others like this.
  4. Holt

Holt Avatar

Writing on virtues; draw on real life.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

You present some interesting ideas, Vyrin. Like redfish, I favour only a loose alignment of each of the virtues with a form or style of writing.
    More an observed trend than a rule, perhaps. It is, after all, possible for a single work to explore all the virtues.

I enjoyed the poetry presented here. I look forward to seeing more of it.

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Indeed, Womby. I try to explore several virtues in each of my pieces rather than focus on a single one ;)

Wonderful poetry by both Vyrin and Amberraine :D

Asclepius, Vyrin and Womby like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well and remember the virtues can turn in on each other ;> You can have something that's about the truth of love, or the love of truth, or love of courage, or truth of courage, or courage of love, or courage of truth.

Gabriel Nightshadow and Vyrin like this.
  8. Holt

Holt Avatar

Sounds like what I had to do for the TLC theme songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.