How Many Crafts Can a Single Player Learn and Master?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Kazee, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazee

Kazee Avatar

I have noted in my readings that Blacksmith recipes, for example, can require not only mining and smelting, but also field dressing, tanning, forestry and milling. That's a lot of stuff!

* How many crafts can one player learn?

* One of the reasons for my question at this point is due to the breadth of trade skills each prosperity pack covers. Would one player conceivably use all of those tools?

Follow up questions:

* If any single player could learn to craft anything: What value could someone build in specializing in one thing in the persistent world?

* If other sorts of craftsmen are required for some tasks: How does the single player experience compensate for the lack of player market crafted items?

2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I've asked this about a dozen different ways, but they will not give anything concrete. Just "not all".

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Before that question can truly be answered the skills have to be play tested and balanced. We simply won't know the final numbers until that happens.

5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Soon we will know the answers to the questions we seek.

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

ie: Patience, grasshopper ? :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Patience is a virtue - of which I'm sorely lacking in...

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  8. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

Well, the problem is that they are selling crafting tools for (a lot of) money in the online store, and they are bundled together in "six-packs" without a lot of logical consistency.

This creates the impression that a player can actually USE all these tools, or at least the tools which come bundled together.

Imagine spending $200 on crafting tools only to find out, once the game launches, that you can only learn 3 crafting skills.

Therefore, people (myself included) would appreciate an answer to this question! :)

9. vjek

vjek Avatar

Yep, in my opinion, we won't get an answer because the answer will limit pledges.
    This question was asked at least twice, in various forms, in the weekly dev Q&A, and the answer was evasive/unclear both times.
    It's been asked many many times directly in IRC to devs, with similarly evasive responses, as NirAntae is alluding to here.

Portalarium won't even say what the current design goal is, never mind hard numbers. Even just the logical justification, or the emotional rationalization, anything would be better than just ignoring the question.

Margard and NirAntae like this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There's just too much to juggle for them to know.

I still say the best throttle is real time or a simulation of real time. I can only realistically do a finite number of things at one time or within one day, and that forms a far more natural limit to what I can produce. The world's greatest blacksmith would be economically better off making one more sword and trading it for dinner, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to cook if he really wants to.

11. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

Well, if nothing else, we can probably assume that spending $100+ USD on "Prosperity" crafting tools is foolish until we have an answer.

There are 14 tools so far (12 of those available in discounted 6-pack bundles), which add up to $210 USD if bought at full price, and we have no idea how many of those could actually be used by one player.

Spending money is OK, throwing it away is foolish. ;)

P.S. I know everything bought in the store is funding the game, but those same backer dollars could be allocated better if we had more info, that's all!

Lord Baldrith and vjek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.