How to get out of Owl's Head beside Rift

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Deemize, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deemize

Deemize Avatar

Yikes. Spent 2 days trying to leave Owl's Head to get onto main map. Bunch of electrical lines and doesn't seem to be a way out thru back of keep. I tried as lvl 5 to take Rift but couldn't make it through Blackblade area without dying. Read several posts but couldn't find an answer. Advice?:eek:

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Walk through the electrical lines on the road just south of the rift. They'll part for you.

3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I believe you can also exit to the starting menu (esc) and start from the overland map also. I've done that a couple of times. More than a couple of times. Still do sometimes.:D Did it last night in Ardoris. Will probably always have to do it for Ardoris:rolleyes:.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Follow the roads to help not getting lost! It is frustrating and can be disorienting entering new areas in game sometimes, but this is also true of real life. I find that once you've grown more familiar with the area it becomes much more natural and less frustrating. Also, using maps to get oriented really helps. You should have some maps (double-click to use) in your inventory when you start the game and others can be bought from vendors.

In Owls Head, the exit is at the south end of town.

Feel free to browse stop by the deCani Tour and Expedition Company and browse our collection of maps!
    [​IMG]

Here, let me get the Owls Head Map unrolled for you.

Leos and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Deemize

Deemize Avatar

Thanks all! I did discover the opening game option to start on world map. And I saw a youtube person run through the electrical lines. Silly me. I should have been more gutsy instead of worrying about being fried. Enjoying the game but surprised at cost of new recipes for crafting. Trying to make money for lot and saw youtube efforts there as well. Things looking better. Thanks again!

4EverLost and Balec Fares deCani like this.
  6. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

I played this game for the first time over the last two days. Travel is so frustrating. I started at Solace Bridge (or whatever that starting area is called) and I was bumming around and I found this blue light, tesla coil-like thing that could teleport me either to some random location or a fixed location. So I used it. I found myself in the zone with Owls Head. That was cool so did some stuff there. The only exit from Owls Head that I found took me to some place called The Veil or some such; so I did some questing there. But when the time came that I wanted to go back to that starter zone I had NO IDEA how to do it (I wanted to go back because I was pretty sure there were more level-appropriate quests there that I should to do). Do I look for a different exit from Owls Head? Do I wander around The Veil looking for that zone? What? I never got back to that starting area.

There is a map key ('M') but all it does is toggle the compass (which does have destination markers on it which is helpful but not enough IMO). But no map pops up like I expected.

I started the game with two maps that look like scrolls in my non-combat ability bar. I wanted to find a similar map for Owls Head while I was there and equip it. but I never figured out how to do that.

Also, finding one's way around town is rough. So much player housing it is hard to know what is player housing and where the real town (with merchants and such) begins. Then trying to find a specific person in town is brutal.

The over land map only shows destinations within a certain radius of where your character is. So if you are like me and trying to find a specific town you have to travel around the overland map (hoping not to get ganked by some spiders with OP poison or some such) and have destinations (many of which I've seen before) become slowly revealed as you go. I guess the bottom line is that it is hard to know if you are going in the right direction and it's hard to remember what places are actually "out there" in that over land map.

My number one take away from my stint at playing this game is that the navigation system needs a lot of work: maybe a mini-map, map markers, a world map (that shows your current zone and, if you want to go to a different zone, which way you need to go), fast-travel to places you've been.

Some folks might say that such-and-such thing that I am drawing attention to is "realistic" in some way and that may be true. But it's a game and a balance needs to be made between realism and convenience. I don't think travel and knowing where to go should be on the side of realism; it should be convenient. As a new player I found it incredibly frustrating and since it is one of the very first things a new player has to grapple with it would be good to make it easier to use as there are other things the new player needs to do and which are dependent on travel. The little popup text boxes that explain stuff are good but there are so many things to learn and so many of those popup boxes pop up it is hard to remember it all. Built-in, in game mnemonics for travel would be a good thing IMO easing the demands on memory and allowing more attention to be given to the things that are fun and central to the game.

Sea Bear likes this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The lunar rift you mention that takes you to Owl's Head has been removed from the game. The Hidden Vale (where Owl's Head is located) is an island off the main continent of Novia (where you started out). Up until Release 14, the Hidden Vale was the starter zone, so there are many locations there fit for new players. To get back to Novia, walk on the overland map to the town of Kingsport and either enter the town and take the ferry to Ardoris (currently the largest town in Novia), or don't enter the town and take the ferry on the overland map which will take you to the Novia overland map. Booksellers in-game sell maps of the various towns. There is one in Owl's Head on the main market I think.

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it's good that you point out the new persons view of things. Many of us have been here quite some time and have grown with the game. Like we started out with not being able to go anywhere but owlshead with no combat, jumping, or anything, just us and owlshead, talk about limiting lol;)

In some ways I see your point but also I have been trying out several games during this games development here and there and the first thing I never know how to do is get around. Then next is movement, how combat works, how quests work etc. In star wars old republic it took me forever to learn how to get around, let alone get to my ship which was stolen by the villan anyway, but then after getting it back I had the hardest time getting to it. Of course it was just me not reading about how to do these things and trying to figure it out myself lol.

So now that you have let us know, we can advise you of all kinds of things. So welcome to Shrouds Hairballhacker. So fyi the boats in kingsport and ardoris are one way out and also the exits of any area will take you back to the map. To get to the Novia map go to ardoris accross the bridge by the oracle which has a red eye on it the building does that is, and you'll get back to the map that way too. To go back to the Hidden vale map, go back to kingsport via one of the boats in ardoris. I usually jump in the water and swim around to find the boats at ardoris lol . Friend majoria in game and I'd be happy to help anytime I'm in game. Send me a whisper.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.