How to kill monsters the right way!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Savant, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

LOL, the wheel does not need to be reinvented to make the ultimate car.

Why would anyone in their right might change everything?
    A lot of mechanics already work really well and are very fun to do, not to mention blend well into gameplay.
    Should they invent a new coding language too? Why even have quests? Every game has those!

The main purpose of this game isn't fighting, it is but a single component, and fighting specifically sometimes works best when it is a simple process.

hanskrsg likes this.
  2. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I think having special way of killing monsters should be something you do to special monsters only, otherwise I think it will grow tedious after a while. I also think they should be logical. Any non-magical creature, however big and scary, should be killable by good old fashioned violence, although some weapons might work better at some things than others, of course.

How you kill undeads should work logically based on how they are created or how they exist. Are they lost or restless souls with unfinished business? Are they summoned like puppets by necromancers? Maybe something else? In the first scenario, truly removing an undead would be a quest in itself, where you help it go on to whatever lies beyond this life, in the other scenario, crushing the remains should do it, maybe helped by "virtuous" weapons (I am guessing this fits better than holy in this game), or magic that stands in oposition to necromancy. Both of these scenarios might be true in this game though, maybe ghosts and specters and other incorporial undeads fit the first, and corporeal undead, like skeletons and ghouls fit the second.

Dragons are often so powerful, that they don't need immunity to anything but one thing. It should be hard enough to penetrate their scales though, that any weakness they have is the preferred way of dealing with such a beast. For example; you could in theory wear down a dragon with enough sword wielding warriors, but having a hard to reach weakness can make it possible to kill by a small group of people instead. (Tons of books have dragons have some weakness that the hero manage to use to defeat them, often at the risk of the heroes life, of course, or there would be no suspense.)

Now, giving everything from giant spiders to goblins resistance, or immunity to everything else than some special material or type of weapon or magic, seems over the top to me.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

4. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

@Sir Frank KC
    I guess if the guards in the game has these equipped, dragons and PK's will not be a problem in town ;). Although I would like to see what happens to what they hit with that gun, not just how it affects the people who use it.

5. Sir Frank

Me too. I have the equipment to record both me and the target, if I could get my hands on the gun and ammo. I'd find an appropriate target.

Whatever is charging you, you shoot this at it and then run. If it dies, you can go back. If it doesn't die, you want the head start.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea it definitely should be logical. I think if its intuitive and doesn't require you to memorize strange rules then it'll add to the game without making it tedious.

So,

* You need some type of astral magic to strike ghosts, because they don't have bodies and can go ethereal at will. This fact should just be obvious to a player imo. Some NPC asks you to kill a ghost, and your first response as a player should be -- "how?" -- If anything, players will just be used to the idea of fighting ghosts with normal weapons just because other RPGs hxave cheated.

* In a lot of games, skeletons pick themselves back together after they've been smashed to the ground. If this game has that, then some type of magic will be necessary. Otherwise, not. If there's a bleeding injury type from sharp weapons in the game, it won't affect skeletons -- only logical. So you can use swords for their blunt effect, but maces would be more damaging.

* If there are creatures that can regenerate, you need some type of weapon that will have cumulative damage, like fire. Also pretty logical. Zombies perhaps, or daemons.

* For fighting dragons, defense is probably more important than offense. You need armor that can withstand fire; otherwise you're torched.

* Any huge creatures like dragons, or creatures with a thick hide, will probably be able to withstand damage and any bleeding injury will be more likely to affect them than base damage from a weapon. So blunt weapons will end up being less useful than sharp weapons.

* If you have a fire elemental, fire isn't going to harm him. If you have a water elemental, water isn't going to harm him.

The amount of exceptions like this could probably be counted on your fingers and not even require thought, because they'd just immediately make sense.

MalakBrightpalm and hanskrsg like this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

Silver weapons against undead that give a damage bonus, I can buy that. Beyond that, I'd have to see the design specifics before I'd be sold on the idea.
    Edit:
    Changed my mind. I think the best way to approach this question is not from a gear point of view, but rather from a training point of view. If you want to learn how to kill undead, go kill undead. The more undead you kill, the better you get at killing undead.

What I DON'T want to see is the need to once again carry a golf bag with me with one weapon for undead, one for orcs, one for lizardmen, one for ogres, one for ratmen, and so forth.

Train your character, not your gear.

8. Sir Frank

From another game: There are 7 types of damage. Slash, Pierce, Bludgeon, Fire, Frost, Acid, Lightning.

So let's take a Zombie for example. Perhaps Slash, Pierce, and Bludgeon would all do half damage. Fire would do full damage, Acid maybe 75%, and Lightning and Frost 25%.

You see how this could get complicated in a hurry. However, maybe that's fair.

Let's consider a Fire Elemental. You slash at it with a flaming sword. It ignores the flame, but there's still a sword there, so it takes slashing damage.

Ghosts.... Hmmmm. We could say that ghosts are cold creatures, and fire would do some damage. Or as others suggest, some sort of ethereal damage. Maybe you need some sort of cleric to turn them, or you run?

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

A cleric, or a means of defeating him prepared by a cleric. In the Middle Ages, a weapon might be coated in some salve to give it magic.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

"Swords are of no more use here. RUN!" -- Gandalf, at the Bridge of Khazad Dum

Yeah, might need to pick up some magery after all.

11. Lorix Cursedbone

Lorix Cursedbone Avatar

if you have regular sword and need to kill some kind of creature, you can use scroll or potion on this sword who will give it something like 20 minutes effect of some kind magical damage. For next kind of creature you will use different scroll or potion. And you can use your sword in different situations.
    Same are whit blunts, pikes, bows and other physical weapons.
    if you want use regular sword whit scrolls (ammunitions) or you can use magic sword whit permanent effect of some kind of elemental damage.
    for me this is perfect way. every player will have different style of fighting, different weaknesses and so on.
    so there will be a diversity of craftsmen and items. else always gets there ten craftsmen that make all objects because they can all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.