Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Huge archer DPS nerf

Discussion in 'Release 48 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Who is that mage lobby that makes Chris to nerf crits so hard ?:D
    1) I understand that Chris want to do as better, but nerf is very hard, yes may be a crit of archers was a bit high, but a bit, I saw no need of nerfing for 30%-50% of crit damage and for 10%-15% crit rate as you made.
    2) Why exotic build which are need huge ammount of skill to play, when any mistake could bring a death to you, which give great fun are nerfed so hard, I say about charged berserk in a leather which was extremely dps but brittle as crystal, and one archer in Rise can took me out with two shots and it was good balanced this way.
    2A) I see very small difference now in usage bersek and brittle and not using it now, so you just killed this kind of play:(
    3) Berserk + brittle not the only kind of gameplay what was killed, boss hunting with charged attack was killed too, there is just no reason of usage charged attack when 10 shots will be not crits(with my 217 dex), so welcome back dumb autoattack:(
    4) Bow on which I spend few hundred $, which was just devastating now same as my old bow(which one become even worst), I`m ok with 13 fails in a raw with 49% (its btw -500k in 5 minutes) but I understand the lesson very good: "when you play in Risk and Reward in Sota, risk will be much higher then you predict, and even if you will get the reward it will be easily taked away from you very soon":mad:
    5) When you remove dex bonus from multiply by crits on gear its already was huge nerf of archer, and I still dont understand in what side I need to progress now as high level archer...:mad:

P.S. And again who is that mage lobby ?? Aoe NOT crits = 400-500 is ok by magic but, but 600+ single target archer crits needs immediately nerfing...

P.S.S. Again I`m ok with nerf, I'm not ok with sum nerf SIZE of high level archers. Which is just devastating for archers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Rada Torment and Elrond like this.
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

1) How did you get those stats exactly ? Just curious (even if I think I already figure out).

2) We don't have the whole picture. I would say that balancing is not an easy way (and it's very unsatisfactory as you can't reach perfect balance).
    But you are right about the current state of the game : I have this same feeling that game is evolving towards slow fights and buff management, which is totaly unfun for me.

3) Charged attack still preserve your bow and your arrows stock. That's something to keep in mind. Also, the round generator should approximatively give similar results when you hit a target ten times or one hundred.

The rest) I don't know what is planned about AOE. I can say that the AOE spells are actually a "must-have". First, it's a fire and forget mechanic : you can hit a target and be looking at something else. Secondly, even with 60ish level AOE, I can grind experience faster than I would do with my high ranged skills (before the patch). As a multi-target attacks, AOE are far too efficient.

I think that the current state of the combat mechanics are unfinished and I hope that many concerns that we have will be adressed. Mages also got some nerfs in the past. I don't think that there is a lobby defending their magic spells :).

But as far as I can tell, as long as you need to learn magic to resist magic, as long as you can use a defensive heal on another heal without any logic restrictions, as long as buffs can be used one on another with a lot of buffs in the magic trees, it is obvious that Shroud of the Avatar won't be the promised classless system but a One-class-system with everyone training everything in order to compete. And this way, don't even try to rely on soft caps to limit the gap between high players and the others... Soft caps and exponential learning curves don't help when it's about to learn a lot of skills.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Chatele likes this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Guess that explains why theres almost no difference in my damage with or without the brittle ring ... i normally run 200 + str archer build ..if i strip to 150 str i pretty much do same dmg... I GM - ed crit dmg and yet my aimed shot crits for 200 -300 dmg but mostly 200 when im lucky...crit chance is way down. :(.. I even tested a bow with 20 % crit chance and the crit rate was really bad..Hope they reconsider these changes .. i can can crit 500 dmg easy with polearm ..

Chatele and Spinok like this.
  4. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Is there a source for all of this..?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't noticed any change in DPS.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Just compared numbers before and after nerf on solo fighting daemon. I get daemon for 1.50-2.30 minutes before, now is 2.30-3-4, my best crit into daemon was 800+(fireflies +25% dmg bonus from elevation and bonus from the back) now my best is 600, my averege crit before was 450-500 , now is 300. Before charged not crit attack do at least 70-100, now it can do even 20, 20 dmg for fully charged attack from high level archer with one of the best gear in it class ? really ?
    Balancing is not easy way hm, many times hear it. I have an argument against it: archer was zero in pvp for may be more than half an year, (all ranged archer skills was countered by just one spell - fortify defence) for half an year nobody done nothing to change it. But as archer gain the ability to devastate mages in cloth and fight with fighters and mages in heavy they were immediately nerfed.
    Arrow stock really? 20k arrows it is ok for looong grinding. We use best gear to be more effective we dont make/buy it to put it in the bank.
    If you average crit before nerf was less than 400 you would not notice it(btw it still noticeable(especially for crit rate in this case) but change are much less)

Update: high level bludgeon users feel the same...

7. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Sorry to see the nerf bat hit you @Spinok - Asked earlier to see if Chris or someone had documented something on a Facebook post or whatnot.

Numa, Chatele and Spinok like this.
  8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

If this is true (we don't have any official word yet) sounds weird because Chris said ranged did not need a nerf.

@Chris May you can plz test this and verify if all is working like before r48?

Seems like more affecting your crits.

This is the more noticable change I found too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Spinok likes this.
  9. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I notice less crits when charging attack, and more when auto attack. There seems to be a difference. And yes, my upper-end damage is significantly lower. I posted a bug about it.

At first I thought it was just one weapon, Crossbow of Accuracy, but it is all of my ranged weapons.

My crits test much lower broad spectrum. I have done hours of testing with various gears, and both of these screenshots use exact same methodology and gear.

Before changes were noticed: [​IMG]

After changes were noticed:
    [​IMG]

Numa and Spinok like this.
  10. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Can you please post your stats when posting your damage? I have a feeling that you may have used some buffs that you might not actually use in combat on a regular basis to get those figures. I could be wrong though?

11. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Of course I used buffs. It was for testing maximum achievable damage.

I was testing impact of strength on damage.

The set up consisted of 250 strength, 115 dexterity, 135 Ranged Combat, Crossbow of Accuracy, Fireflies 5x stacked to get a 90% bonus, using charged shot, was standing behind the target...

The point of maximizing the damage like this also allows for a wider range of performance on the low end to the high end. This is not a practical setup for high level mobs, because I move too slow and have low defense (since maximizing strength was the only focus here).

12. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I understand what you are testing, but feel that if its not explained and said that its not practice to run this setup whilst fighting mobs. This data may be used to scale the whole tree if viewed incorrectly or not questioned.

In reference to why we may be seeing a massive decrease in damage...

13. Rada Torment

In that case they changed something about mobs (resistances?) but we did not see anything related in the notes.. so any official explanation would help a lot.

14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Investigating. I just verified that the only change I made this release was to Eagle Eye. I double checked that and there is no way it could have helped or hurt damage. The eagle eye change should have increased damage. About to verify that as well... If it truly did change, it was an unintentional change by someone other than me. Following up on possible causes now and I'll also try and verify it is worse than it was.

Elrond, Bow Vale, Numa and 3 others like this.
  15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Oh dear lord... I think I found the issue. It was me but it isn't archery but rather Fireflies. Brace yourselves.... Casting fireflies doesn't give you a crit bonus but instead gives them a crit bonus against you!

Aeryk, Ben_Hroth, Sea Hunter and 13 others like this.
  16. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

@Halfwitte I'm using the Crossbow of Accuracy, which has the same Very Low strength damage as a normal longbow.

17. Rada Torment

[​IMG]

Grumpy, discipleofweb, Numa and 2 others like this.
  18. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Chaos flies!

Spoon, Mishikal, Numa and 3 others like this.
  19. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

That explains this Swipe for 985 [​IMG]

20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.