Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I am not enjoying this game

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Sophi, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

Crafting isn't hard. Crafting is boring and repetitive. Those are completely different things. It is possible for something to be hard and interesting, but what we have now is easy but time consuming and repetitive.
    Planting and tending a garden is not hard. Rather, it is a pointless and annoying click-fest.
    The "it needs to be hard" argument doesn't fly, because nobody is complaining that crafting is hard. They are complaining that it is a waste of limited game time and isn't entertaining.

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@Womby, youre right, and thats why I specified gathering should be harder than the OP suspects, cuz like I said, youre not going to create a siege tower out of 2 pine boards, a tent out of a harvest from one single cotton plant, or a sword from a single hack at an iron ore.

I agree that the wonky UI is not hard, but non ergonomic.

3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I'm glad these restrictions don't exist IRL or we'd all starve. Seriously...what is wrong if somebody wants to earn a living farming?
    AND.. O M G, it's such a royal pita currently..you have to drag each component over every stinking time to plant... wth? Why not have a recipe for planting? as for the clickathon...is it that hard to put in a "repeat last action" hotkey?

Sophi, Doctor, Womby and 3 others like this.
  4. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Yeah you only gain 1% on chance to craft per 4 levels after 100. So at 110 she should gain +1%.

Daxxe Diggler, Solazur, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  5. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@109 one would think you'd at least get a crit now and then.

6. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

I admit, this caught my eye and reminded me of a long ago beta that might have been something had the CEO not pitched a hissy fit that it wasn't immediately the industry darling and shut it down. The game was called W.I.S.H. and it had the most interesting and fun crafting/tradeskill system I've ever experienced. Essentially, stats were tied directly to a combination of gathering, refining, and production skills (GRP for short) and, if you chose to GM a set (i.e., lumberjack, milling, carpentry or herbology, steeping, alchemy, etc) you received gains to the stat(s) tied to it. This made your GRP related to your "class" or at least to your chosen preferences for fighting (i.e., rogues frequently went with herbology, steeping, alchemy as it both raised their dexterity, patience, and judgment skills (avoidance/stealth/combat anticipation).

It was an intricate and deep system; it also made "crafting" important in a way few games have ever truly mastered (AO and UO are on the list, hard to think of others).

The fellow who created the system was a co-worker of mine on another MMO project and remains "in industry" today; I think he's working with in Malmo at the moment.

To this day, I miss that game. It could have been spectacular. =/

edit to add: oh snap - I completely forgot that he actually SENT ME that design a few years back... I wonder if I was smart enough to keep it... if so, happy to share (I already have his permission, but can get it in writing if you like).... standby, going to check.... :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  7. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

Meticulous "X" skill is a great idea however hitting the high 80's and very rarely does it ever go off

8. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

Another note I wanted to mention is about going back to that old way of gathering so while you are getting materials, from that stag you just killed . . .

"A Wild Large Red Spider appears. . . ."

He runs up to you and swings and manages to glance your thigh . . .whelp that just interrupted your gathering now another spider shows up its getting scary you are forced to leave but, thats ok, because you got a few moments to gather which netted you a hide and a few animal bones so it wasnt too terrible because it only cost you a few moments of your time and you were able to get out.

Sophi likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The game is right on track as for the gathering, crafting to make it so the game isn't "completed" in a week or two ;) But yeas all the mouse clicking is deffinatly a problem.

What I think needs to happen is a much more in depth macro program, one where you can pick a skill / object to craft / target and hae the ability to set a hot key for what you have just chosen.

ALSO the ability to Craft ## amount :cool::D:oops::rolleyes:

Other than that they are on a great trajectory :)

10. agra

agra Avatar

Does this mean you can't crit reliably unless you're above 100 skill, for any production crafting skill?

11. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

We hear you! fear not, we will be addressing this. Don't forget we are still in development. Thanks for the feedback, but don't give up on us addressing this! Cause we will.

12. Lord British

GREAT suggestions! I will take these to the team! - Richard Garriott

Quenton, Mata, Acred and 28 others like this.
  13. Lord British

I sure hope we are more than a "niche" game. And yes we DO care to address the CTS'ness of the current implimentation.
    Fear not, we hear you, and will be addressing this!
    - Richard

14. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Well and this is why I hang on to tell you the truth. We are being listened to.
    :)

Ancev, Mata, Acred and 19 others like this.
  15. Lord British

Womby,
    Our internal Mantra is "Stable, fast & fun - In that order".
    Our servers are now stable and the client ain't so bad, so we are good there I think.
    The render pipeline still needs and is getting some work to be "fast" enough. In progress, but we will be there.
    Fun. We have been piling IN all the features, as they interact with each other and they are hard to balance and fine tune without the others present.
    Now that MOST of the ship features are in, we are in the tuning phase, but just at the START of the tuning phase.
    Please fear not. We hear you. We will address this. But DO PLEASE CONTINUE TO COMMENT!
    That's the way we know and know how to priority.
    Mention problems, mention solutions if you think you have one, and have faith that we are listening and working hard FOR you!
    - Richard

Mata, Acred, Wilfred and 30 others like this.
  16. Lord British

I hear you! On it!

Mata, Acred, Wilfred and 20 others like this.
  17. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

I fully get that you intend to be more than a niche game. I am curious to know why the shift to new player experience is lagging; however, as a player, I may never get to know this. UI and new player experience has to be in before the final wipe or the last thing you're going to see at land rush is new casual players racing to leap into the Skinner box. (winks at you slyly)

Love that you post; wish it were more regularly.

Mata, Sophi and Sheamus McGuinness like this.
  18. Lord British

Some great ideas in here.
    Reviewing now.
    - Richard

19. Lord British

Agreed! Lum is focused on the new player experience for these next few releases! - Richard

Mata, Acred, Duchess Fionwyn and 16 others like this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

thank you! that means i can spend more time in game!

and for the record, i hope i'm wrong with the 'niche' comment. :)

Mata, Acred, Duchess Fionwyn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.