I feel lied to by companies that do Early Releases.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xanthirius, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Really? You see no progress from 6 months ago to today? Since then, SOTA has added Trolls, Dragons, fishing, used based skills, and both of the remaining starting zones.

2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Plus, they've added a ton of developers to the staff for one purpose: To start churning out content. That's the glorious stage we're in right now, and the next few releases are going to see enormous strides in the direction of a full, fun, content-rich world to play in.

3. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

Truly ridiculous. They never gave a concrete release date, ever. They always said they were completely speculating and simply voicing their hopes for when the game might be done. The game design has become much more complex since that time, just FYI since you don't seem to have noticed that little fact. This game is still being developed at incredibly high speed by a still very small team comparatively, and I'm sorry but this whining about being lied to is both untrue and ridiculous. I invite you to go back and reread/re watch old posts and videos because your memory of them 'promising' release dates is simply untrue.

I knew back then they shouldn't have said anything, even tho they said again and again and again that nothing was for sure and that anything they said was simply their hopes and goals. No matter how careful any dev has ever been about any game, some people will always read/hear only what they want to and then get mad about it and end up hurting the game by complaining about nothing.

Sorry to go on a bit of a rant here but come on, seriously.

Beaumaris likes this.
  4. Xanthirius

Xanthirius Avatar

bump, see Update EDIT.

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Holy thread necro... Well, it does feel as though the game is progressing, and we are on track for the final wipe/land rush in July for the world to go permanent and player housing to be committed.

Have to see how it goes, but it will at least get us over the large development hill that has kept us spinning.

Beaumaris and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

There is nothing to be concerned about with the development of SOTA. Sure way more money has been raised then was asked for , sure releases keep getting extended, but hey FINAL WIPE is coming(and all the mechanics of the game are fantastic).... i dont see anything here that indicates things might not be as they seem.... HURRY UP and go upgrade to the top tier pledge you can afford before the rewards expire. Who cares if there will ever be a game to be enjoyed its all about the social experience and being part of something "ground breaking"

DuKe NuKeM and rez like this.
  7. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I hope this is ironic !

We all pledge to support a game development, not a friendly roleplayer gathering on a forum...

I am quite disappointed with the low progress the game has made since I support it (begin of 2015). I love the music (so immersive, I feel like i'm back in UO), the graphical part is fine (except the animation), gameplay infrastructure is here and still has to be polished but SOTA is far from being a fun game to play at that stage, lot of bugs, quest are yet to be implemented, sound effects are bugged and immersion breaking... More than 2 years of developement later and >8million $ later we all expect the game to be more than an alpha/beta/early access ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

Typo. I'm sure you meant trillion.

margaritte likes this.
  9. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

English is not my mother language. I corrected this point...

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

same here.

A tip though. Since the anglosphere doesn't use the same number terms for higher numbers I usually switch to Mega Giga Tera so that there is less room for confusion... And to slowly corrupt them to the superior metric system muhahahahahehehecoughtihi...

11. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

No need to panic ! We are in good hands...

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

milli means thousand, so bi-llion should mean a thousand thousand, and tri-llion should mean a thousand thousand thousand. ;-) Darn Americans messing things up again....

I agree with Spoon, we should use 8 Mega-bucks! Sounds silly, but won't be mistaken for something it isn't.

Duke Raas, HoustonDragon and Spoon like this.
  13. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

first I think everyone is allowed to speak his mind...

...that being said. Before putting had earned pling-pling into a project...you have to believe in it yourself. Yet please understand that giving your $ for the development of a game doesnt entitle you to anything. Basically you get a promise, but you gota be grown up enough to understand that "development" means "change" and that stuff, yeah, simply does change.

Money is a resource, its what you make of it that counts. I think I can say that from 100% backers, maybe 1% or less actually have the insight to understand the exact financial details of game design. Further...please dont fall for the illusion that the goal is a simple date called "release" or "final wipe" if you so want. In an MMO it might be the day we are waiting for as players, but the real deal are the years to come. How many MMO's have you loved that dont exist anymore? Ultima Online, StarWarsGalaxies (blame you Sony!) Tabula Ra...no...sorry...I wont draw that card here, thats a strike below the belt. But you get the point. So, understand that even if you see 1.000.000 on the front page...a smart independent MMO doesnt put everything in go-go-go-fast production, but keeps the most part back simply to make sure the company is doing well in the years to come.

Further, we have an elefant in game designe at the helm. Sorry for the word, its ment as in "strong, never forgetting, hard skinned" designer...thats seen from my little mortal customer view, that has no need to make a cash grab. He is making a game for himself, the game he wants, no producer behind pressing for release, no disputes in design at the office (well...those are always there, but probably less then usual). Really...go to a games con...have a look at the stressed game producers standing in their booth, sweating. Then comes Garriot, an ankh around the neck and smile saying "been there, done that" you could believe he has an air elemental in his sneakers the way he floats.

So, relax...sit back...watch this flower bloom when the sun rises end of july and watch it grow further into a strong tree with time. And besides...in MMO's the soul, the pathos, the quintessence is not found in game mechanics, its found in the community. And I think we are pretty safe on that side...lucky us ;)

14. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hehe, I agree with you in everything but temperature. Fahrenheit is superior to Celsius because the degree marks are smaller, no need for, "the water temperature is 20.3 today". But, I'm getting used to it :p

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Alley Oop and Miracle Dragon like this.
  15. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

o_O

16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Why do I feel like going to Albion's forums and making a post called "I feel game companies don't listen" and then proceeding to explain that there's this game called Shroud of the Avatar that I really do enjoy and that I hope everyone over at Albion has a great time not being listened to?

Or maybe I'll just haunt the Albion forums and make snide comments or post emoticons to continue a narrative that only a select few can dance to. Why not? It seems like it would be super productive and helpful to Albion. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. I'm sure it would result in me getting a great game that I could have fun playing.

Or maybe I'll just stay here, ignore the trolls and have fun playing Shroud of the Avatar. Yep, I think that's what I'll do.

17. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

The correct term of reference is pirate-ninjas, as shown in the Martian :p

Again, I don't fully agree with the mindset of "we're all part of the social experiment!", since that's not what I paid for. I paid for a game that is hopefully entertaining to me; if I wanted just a big chat forum, an IRC server would have been a hell of a lot less costly. But I also am very encouraged to see the movement in just the last few months towards the July final wipe towards reality.

The game won't be perfect, and that's not always a bad thing, since the pursuit of trying to please everyone can also end up angering them as well.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Nah, I just didn't go back to find the other one :p

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yay. this again.

re-reading the op as it was 'updated' - i still see many of the statements as contradictory to each other. if the op actually understands the things they say they do, in the forward, then what is the issue? while behind, they are still making fast progress. there was an infographic somewhere that showed how far behind some games were in development, alongside their budgets. can't seem to find it now, but sota was not that far behind, and nowhere near the top in budgets for these games.

most of the debate has already been had in the seven pages before this post, so i will not reiterate any of it...suffice it to say that i firmly believe the op is mistaken on many points. - i hope you find your fun here at some point, but if you do not, then i hope you enjoy your fun elsewhere. regardless, thanks for the feedback - i hope this thread has and will continue to help the devs in some way.

4EverLost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.