Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I finally saw an archer actually placed where an archer should be...

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Traveller13, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

... and it didn't do anything.

Finally, I saw an archer with the chance to actually be an archer. It was a kobold archer placed at the top of the guard tower outside the entrance doors to Skrekk: Area: Skrekk (Novia_R10_Forest01_SkrekkEntrance) Loc: (-97.1, 71.1, 122.2) . I discovered it when I went to the top of the tower. I thought, "hey, great!". Then I remembered it hadn't taken a shot at me while I was outside the tower, fighting it's brethren. Oh, well. Maybe one day.

A different visit had a kobold warlock placed there, with a kobold fighter in the bottom floor of the tower. That was even better. However, the warlock didn't cast anything at me while I was outside the tower-- just like the archer.

On the bright side for me, the top chamber is so small, neither the archer nor the warlock could run away.

2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Nope. Nothing can attack what cannot directly be reached by walking on the ground including us. Realism snuffed to prevent grinding XP while completely safe. Mechanics that could be exploited in more advanced content allowing a low level player to kill trolls caught in a AI glitch by hitting them from a tower or cliff. Personally I hope that mechanism can eventually be modified to let us rain fire from above, but the MOB would follow a more complex route and be able to get to us eventually (for example run to the edge of the tower and then poof up to us on a slight delay timer to feign the MOB climbing up or if magical they could teleport up to us. Definitely bigger fish to fry right now, though!

It would be nice for them to make exceptions such as for MOBs in the scenario you found.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bluefire,

Or, if the mobs couldn't follow us, they'd just get out of harms way and not just take our fire until they die.

Leelu and Bluefire like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Is this issue related to the "cover" question asked at yesterday's telethon? Or is it something completely different? I don't know what "cover" means in the context it is used in.

From the post by @redfish https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...veals-all-or-things-to-look-forward-to.52279/

Bluefire likes this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

AS long as I, as an Archer, can get to them as well, I would love to be able to stand on a rock, or a roof, or tower, or wall etc and shoot my arrows at a mob, and if they are casters or archers, they could hit back from the ground, only problem is with the tank types, they would need to climb up to me... that's how this all worked in every game I have ever played.... IT CAN BE DONE....

Bluefire and Leelu like this.
  6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I have been shot at by mobs that were up on fairly high walls, like in Ruined Keep or the back gate in Vauban Pass.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

The mob makes a pathing check, if it finds it can navigate to you, it will attack and can be attacked.

If it finds it can not navigate to you, it won't attack and any attack you hit it with will hit for zero.

Some mobs have a variation that if they can't path to you they are still immune (you hit them for zero), but if they can attack you, they will anyway.
    I've seen this behavior mostly in liches and ghosts. (I think it is supposed to fix an exploit where you attack a mob from range, then jump onto something when they get close, wait for them to walk back, then jump back down and continue killing)

I think at one time the policy was one way and then changed over to the other, however it is not uniformly applied.

Lazlo likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

. Let ranged npcs attackable as long as they can also shoot us. But it is also easierto makeone rule for all npcs, until theres time to refine it.

9. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Cover means you'd be harder to hit if you're behind something. It is safe to assume it is not implemented yet, as archers and mages can hit you through dungeon walls and floors and around corners. Maybe the archers have special heat seeking homing arrows.

Anyway, this was the first time I'd seen an NPC archer in such a location. I see them most often running around on the ground or floor, in the open.

I've seen only one player archer doing something like this. That was Mata many, many, many releases ago on top of the rock formation to the right of the entrance of the Mysterious Swamp, shooting the wolves and spider that spawn near the formation.

Bluefire and Kara Brae like this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

The room with obsidian guard dogs in The Rise has well placed archers that are functional.

I'll admit is a bit weird that the mentioned instance doesn't work.

I'd bug report it, really .

11. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

They can. Just some of it seems to be bugged at times.

You can shoot enemies from above, but they usually just stand there and heal as quickly as you can damage them if they have no path to you.

However if your dps is high enough you can still kill something this way. I once killed a lich from a balcony at a very low level this way with ranged and fiery decay stacking. Took a long time though...

On the bright side, the dev's seem to be making enemies smarter. They seem to pathfind their way to you much better than before. Just jumping on a rock doesn't always save your bacon like it used to.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Noric and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.