Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I like the new fast harvesting/gaterhing speed and I cannot lie

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Roycestein Kaelstrom, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It is sooooooooooooooooooooo much better now that I don't have to go make a coffee before my harvesting/gathering is done.

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Or go watch a video while it's being harvested. :)

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, I used to read the forums.

4. Womby

Womby Avatar

I still do. I'm mining right now. (But it is better.)

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Better, but mining is still painfully slow early on.

Ice Queen and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Too fast for me :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. agra

agra Avatar

So, harvest time in the none/one skull zones isn't too bad.

But as soon as you step into the two/three skull zones, it becomes quite lengthy.

The main problem with this is... the materials are the same, at least for mining, skinning, and forestry.
    I mean, if my goal is to get a bunch of resources, why would I go to the higher level/risk zones to get exactly the same materials? Pine and Maple wood, animal hides, iron/copper. I can get all those faster in lower level zones, and the harvest times are faster.
    I know that rarely, multiple harvests happen, but that doesn't appear to be related to zone difficulty, it's just a harvesting skill result.

So what am I missing? Why would I go to the higher level zones, PURELY for resource acquisition of wood, hides, and ore? Is there any point, currently, in R26?
    Are there better hides/ore/wood? 3, 4, or 6 results per harvest, that I can't get in a none/one skull zone?

8. agra

agra Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but I broke out the stopwatch on this one today, as of build 371

In West Perennial trail, it's 9 seconds to harvest an iron ore.
    In South Brightbone Woods, it's 38 seconds to harvest an iron ore.

Same node type, same resources gathered.

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

If different tier nodes are generating exact same content please report as bug with /loc locations

Miracle Dragon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for? It seems that they should be generating the exact some content, if they're nodes of the same name? (for mining/forestry)

For each harvesting action.. they're both iron nodes, or maple trees, or pine trees, or wolves. A grey wolf, a large grey wolf, a timber wolf, a brown bear, a large brown bear, a grizzly bear all produce the same animal hide (just different heads).
    I mean, it's a maple tree or pine tree in a shardfall zone or a 1 skull zone. I've never seen anything other than the same animal hides, the same iron/copper, the same maple or pine wood.

Maybe I'll ask this another way. Should I be seeing something other than Pine Wood, Maple Wood, Animal Hides, Iron Ore, or Copper Ore between no-skulls, one skull, two skulls, and three skull zones?
    Is that all one tier?
    And is the 9 seconds versus 38 seconds harvesting time for the exact same named node (iron ore) in different zones working as intended? Or is that a bug?

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There are different levels of the same node type. The higher level nodes take longer and are harder to harvest but they give more crafting experience and have a higher chance for rare materials (such as zinc and tin).

12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I'm asking if you are getting the exact same NUMBERS of ore from different nodes no matter what your skill level then please bug

Snikorts and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This, I believe, is what the OP is failing to realize - but it's 100% correct.
    Tier 1 Nodes are quicker to harvest, but have less chance of containing higher level resources than higher nodes.
    Once you have mastered Harvesting (you're at 50 or above), including Swift Gathering and Meticulous collection - that is when you really begin to appreciate those skills - especially in higher Tier areas. ;)

14. agra

agra Avatar

Ok, the implication then (and because you aren't being explicit that this is the case, I don't know if this is true) is that higher 'tier' nodes should be returning multiple ores, without the benefit of a critical harvest / meticulous skill. I guess?

Personally, I've never seen more than one resource returned from any non-critical / non-meticulous harvest, ever (ore, skinning, forestry, reagent-plants) but I will continue to watch for it in R26.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I"ve mostly been leveling this patch for combat skills.
    I haven't noticed gathering being any faster, I'm still getting mostly 1 ore per node still unless I get incredibly lucky with a meticulous. I'm only at 31 mining atm though so I go for stuff that I have around a 90% chance at gathering. I was in Owl's next last night at 40% chance and getting on average 4-7 failures and some 10 failures. That's a lot of time to waste for 1 ore. Most every time I gather for mining it's just 1 ore per node, it's painfully slow and the yield doesn't seem worth the time. I'm sure it gets better in the later levels but at where I am at the moment it's not good, hehe.

Lord Baldrith and Leelu like this.
  16. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'm still a fan of lower level miners not wanting to mine the best nodes for Tungsten, Zinc, and Obsidian because of high failure rate and/or mining time (although I'd be nice to get get a failure result a little quicker).

If these were nearly as fast as the lower level nodes, what would be so beneficial about being a high level or GM miner? I just want to ensure that these high level nodes are more for the highly-skilled miners.

This goes in line with the 40% success rate of a 30 skill miner and as a GM miner a player could mine these nodes very quick.

17. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

The biggest problem I have is that both Iron Ore and Copper Ore Nodes in the lower tiers are both difficult to find and very limited. As far as I can tell every so called Mine whether on the first floor of that mine or the bottom floor all have level 5 Ore nodes. That gives you the choice of spending hours running around looking for an ore node in lower level instances, including being attacked continuously while you mine OR going to a mine where there are a lot of ore nodes but are all level 5 and take 30 - 40 seconds on every attempt, not including a low success rate. No wonder people are complaining. We need mines with lower level ore nodes and more ore nodes in lower level instances. The difference between availability of hides and that of ore nodes is ridiculous.

KuBaTRiZeS and Lord Barugon like this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

100% agree. There definitely needs to be more lower level nodes... nearly impossible to find enough in a smaller area in which to level on so you're definitely forced to mine the higher level nodes.

If new players are starting out as a miner, I think they need to have lots of level 1, 2, 3, and 4 level nodes including some dungeons of all of these types as well.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, it's not realistic, currently, (imho) to actually just mine to make ingots. I'd say, to avoid going insane, you'd have to use the metal scraps and salvage all the metal weapons you obtain. A normal ingot is 4 ore to 1 ingot. The scraps recipe is 2 ore 12 scraps for one ingot. Personally I would prefer that be 1 ore 12 scraps for one ingot, to encourage salvaging, but oh well.
    I mean, you're talking hundreds of ingots required to craft some specialty sets of armor. You're not going to get that from mining that one iron node in the entire hex, once very 30 minutes. (which is how bad some of them are, today)
    It's the difference, say, for a 400 ingot suit, of 1600 harvests vs 800 harvests. Pretty easy choice.

20. Sir Grant

Sir Grant Avatar

Where can I mine ruby gems???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.