i my opinion it is false advertising

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufio, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

when i saw the demo of the game it was not turn based and card based combat.
    if the game looked like sivilisation or games like that i would never have funded it.
    the game should look like the 3 moth demo real time combat.
    people that want card/turn based combat should go and fund a game like that.
    i am very upset about this,more people play real time combat games than the other.
    you would have gotten mush less funding if the game was advertised as turn and card based.

Ara likes this.
  2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

What are you looking at that makes you think this game is turn based? And the combat system has not been revealed in ANY depth, so you can't actually say it is "card based" yet or not, that's been an idea the devs have mentioned.

I think you need more information.

Mordecai and licemeat like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think anyone has ever said combat would be turned based. It is clearly not. The card system was also known from day zero. It may have timing elements in it, but it won't be turn based like Civ.

RelExpo likes this.
  4. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Rufio, calm down a bit and exhibit a little more patience. We are all sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation about how combat will work. The devs are investigating different models of combat mechanics, and the community is tensely awaiting more information. You'll hear about it when they have something more thorough to share with us. Everybody will be analysing the combat system to pieces and giving more than plenty of feedback, you too of course.
    Until then, lets not jump to any conclusions and have a spaz attack without due cause.

Montaigne likes this.
  5. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I disagree Rufio. They said in the demo that this was not going to be like other MMO's and RPG games, that it was going to be a new idea. Trying to compare it to other games when they are trying a whole new idea is not going to work. You should give their ideas a try during beta before you get too upset. The whole point of beta is to test these new ideas and get our opinions on them. Having a very biased opinion on what a MMO should and should not be is not what they want, since again this is NOT suppose to be anything like other MMO/RPGs.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The only "turns" you're likely to see in a game like this are global cooldown based. Combat is slightly throttled to keep people with a much lower ping from dominating.

7. vjek

vjek Avatar

While I don't believe it will be turned based, the following may be worth considering..

From here, on Tuesday, 26 March 2013 : (there are no kickstarter details regarding combat that I can find)

What is described there is "fighting the interface" (random) rather than fighting the monster.

So far, based on this and the dev chats to date, I'm convinced what is described in that article, and what Richard describes when he talks about this system, is entirely a game of chance. Narrowing the amount of randomness is still random.

How could " And sometimes it will be the ones that are of great use at that moment, and sometimes it's ones that aren't of use at that moment. " be anything else?

8. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Vjek: Yes, but at this early stage, I regard the above as a model that they are investigating. I have faith that if that model doesn't perform well, it will be abandoned for a better, more robust model.

9. vjek

vjek Avatar

We can always hope. :D

Eligor likes this.
  10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."
    - German military strategist Helmuth von Moltke

Anyone that thinks combat is not random is fooling themselves. You prepare and practice, but in the heat of battle it is all about hoping for opportunities. SOTA will not be turn-based and not enough information is available to truely discuss the combat system. However, what RG and Chris have described is a system where you prepare which "skills" you will practice before going out into the world, and based on that training you will be better suited to take advantage of opportunities.

For example, train on parrying and maybe you will catch that opening in your opponent's attack and be able to land a stunning blow. Train on dodging and make you will be able to leave an opponent unguarded after dodging a heavy attack.

This is not necessarily to add "randomness" but to bring actually training into miltary manuvers, and create a system that requires you be engaged in combat rather than watching cooldown timers and pushing buttons.

The game is still undergoing developement. Starr posted in the Dev+ forums, which I do not believe gives anything away, a quote from Otto Von Bismarck: "Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." He related this to games. We are watching the sausage get made. If being involved in stuff before its been totally decided or fleshed out is grossing you out and will turn you away from sausages forever then you might want to look away until the game is in Beta.

11. vjek

vjek Avatar

With respect, Umbrae, you're describing reactions, not what's been described by the developers so far.

If the "innovative" portion of SotA combat was just reactions, with a fixed set of available skills available at any time, and reactions were random, that would be an entirely different system. It was also make those reactions entirely optional.

12. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

i am feeling mush better now,thanks for informing me about the combat system.
    i want this game to be the most immursive and most exilirating ecsperience of my life-
    maybe a bit mutsh but i have high hopes.

Phredicon likes this.
  13. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

We all have high hopes Rufio. So far the promise for them has been high and looks better every day. Nothing wrong with being a little passionate about something you look forward too, but aye don't jump the gun on things either. We all do sometimes, on different topics, its natural. But don't sweat it. We shall see how it goes in beta, and how well it works out for us all.

14. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Nobody will have to wait for beta to get the feel for the combat system, whether it is good or bad, overhauled or fixed will be well apparent in alpha. By beta time, the combat system will be determined and undergoing minor tweaks (hopefully).

BillRoy likes this.
  15. Eligor

Eligor Avatar

I guess we'll have to wait and see, maybe the tagged element would make it palatable. Reading the article first time through I'll admit to being pessimistic.

Reading through it again, I'm warming to the idea, though maybe that's just the beer ;)

16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Ping is a very little problem today.

Combat will most likely be slow so the less skilled and experienced PvE player can have a chance in PvP. That is what i suspect.

And when alpha and beta arrives then it will be to late rearange combat system. What we have then is what we will have.

Have to say i am very surpriced we dont know more about the combat system.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

I see you didnt experience UO magic system where you pushed buttons and waited for cooldowns. That game was the most skillful game created so far and i have never been as engaged in any game afterwards.

Changing that to looking at random cards popping up and PUSH buttons and wait for cooldowns in a slowpaced game without twitchskills is not going into the next face of skillbased PvP, it is a giant leep backwards.

You can quote more people but it wont make the PvP system any better, im sorry.

18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Ping is a gigantic problem in nearly all PvP games. That's why they play tournaments on the same LAN. If you've ever tried playing an MMO on say Korean servers, you've seen how fast you get crushed. And that's with GCD rules in place.

"PvE Players" are likely just as strong at the twitch stuff. Pushing buttons fast is even more important there. PvP is generally less twitch and more anticipation than someone used to pounding out dps rotations.

vjek likes this.
  19. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

The game is going back to the roots for Western CRPGs, which were largely turn based, anyways.

Besides, cooldown timers/etc are still turn based anyways. It's just really well hidden.

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Ping wont be a problem in SOTA since you will never have Darkfall sieges and UO factions with hundreds of players on same screen. Pure PvE players have less skill since they are just that, PvE players. Sure they could have same reaction but then you need to implement that speed into the game and there comes the experience and training PvP players gotten of playing just that game type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.