I'll say it - I don't like Automatons

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Satan Himself, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well I don't see the imersion breaking if he will just be hiding away in someones house, doesn't make sense or am I missing something?
    I think he looks just fine even if just a bit like the tinman in the Wizard of Oz, hmmm wonder if he as a heart;) I do like the simpler style mentioned by Redfish also though.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I don't think the automaton is immersion breaking :D Don't you know that he is simply one of the Oracle's minions sent to spy on you :rolleyes: If you're not loyal to her, you know what will happen :eek: Hope everyone is a light sleeper o_O

Hmm...sounds like the basis for a good side quest (unravel the mystery of why your "loyal" servant just tried to kill you) ;)

Lord Baldrith and Tarsin like this.
  3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

When you put it like that, I'm not sure I'd want one of these in my house :) Maybe this side quest will need to align their loyalty to me :)

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Sure, after you complete the quest you are able to reprogram your servant to be loyal to you and do more tasks (i.e., other than wandering around your home, making small talk, and opening and closing doors) :D Hey, it worked in the Terminator films ;)

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Automatons and New Britannian technology are only immersion breaking from the traditional medieval set. If you're expecting a true medieval setting is only a discrepancy between what you're expecting and what you're getting. Nonetheless not having guns and other tech stuff is an interesting point; maybe what's needed is some books about Aether and clockwork technology into the game. If a proper explanation is given, immersion is no problem.

Talking about other tech stuff and steampung technology now i'm thinking about the giant spider in Wild Wild West... :rolleyes:

6. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

This is it exactly. I really like the non-traditional steampunk-ish vibe of SotA, it sets the world apart rather than being Generic Fantasy World #7,359,268... :)

(One reason I enjoyed playing DDO was that Eberron is not your standard fantasy world. I was very disappointed when they added Forgotten Realms to it to appeal to the masses, rather than exploring more of their own unique world!)

That said, I have to agree that if there are things like automata in New Britannia then how come the most advanced weapons are your standard fantasy fare like swords? I started watching Warehouse 13 recently, and something similar to the Tesla seems like it wouldn't be entirely out of place in SotA, considering they already have the towers and generators. Perhaps there might be other types of technology yet to be revealed? The team do need to keep some surprises for us, after all! ;)

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

They don't talk about it much BUT.. I do recall they have indeed hinted at the possibility of other times of weapons.. possibly even something based off of the same kind of 'Tesla' tech as well as gas guns. Not that it was guaranteed mind you but it seemed like something they wanted to add at some point.

If memory serves, they had talked about using alchemy to creating ammo for the gas guns so that in theory you could have some kind of healing gas or poison gas etc.

8. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I didnĀ“t like the idea of automatons, at first. Then i learned that they existed in our history for a long time. They even exists on previous releases of Ultimas. Finally it seems that Richard Garriott loves them, so it isnt a surprise that they brought them to SOTA. The idea of them in the game have grown on me.

Here you have a video about a kind of famous atomata collector:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.