Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Directional keys no longer work after leaving scene

Discussion in 'User Interface (Including Launcher)' started by ErikRulez, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

4/29/2018 12:50 PM
    Title: Directional keys no longer work after leaving scene
    Reproduction Rate: this is the second time it has happened
    Blocker?no, can still use both mouse buttons to move but very annoying
    Details:After leaving a scene, the normal directional keys do not work for movement. Keys recover function after entering new scene/town or possibly alt tabbing out of game then back in (can't confirm yet)
    Steps to Reproduce:leave scene, try to move with keys
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4) System RAM: 16356
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GPU RAM: 1979
    SotA.Win.64.769.Date.04.27.18
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (371.9, 20.1, 178.9)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgzNzEuOTIxLCAyMC4xMDksIDE3OC44NzIpfCgwLCAtMC4xNzQsIDAsIDAuOTg1KXwtMTkuOTM5MDh8MzEuNjEwMjF8MzUuNTk1MTU=

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I'm afraid we are gonna need more info on this. I do have dual monitors and tab out of the game quite frequently so I wonder what is going on here.

Have you attempted a full reinstall? What steps have you taken previously to try to troubleshoot this?
    If you wait a moment does it begin to work then? Do you have anything else running on your machine along with SoTA when this happens?
    Let us know if you find out more info on this.
    @econner

3. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

It has only happened two times, the first time I zoned to novia and from eceter or crag hills (forget which) and found I couldn't use my keys, it took me a little bit to remember the mouse move as I don't usually use it so it definitely takes more than a few seconds to go away by itself if it does. In that case, I ran to a nearby POT and when I appeared in town, the keys worked fine.

The second time it happened leaving Vauban pass, at that time I alt-tabbed out of full screen mode to check the bug forums which took maybe 5 mins or so to see if there was an existing bug. When I tabbed back in to run to initiate a bug report, the keys were working again so I am not sure if it was time or changing windows that did it.

I haven't attempted a full re-install since it hasn't happened often in relation to how much zoning I do, though I did have to do a full reinstall recently because Steam lost my SOTA installation when I went to download one of the recent patches (764->765 I believe). I am now on a SSD instead of a HDD.

I think the only other thing I had actively running on my machine at the time is firefox.

If it happens again I will try letting it sit to see if there is a slow thread and then I'll try the alt-tab

4. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

@Lexie , it finally happened again. This time it was after I entered Ferig's Camp. This was the first time it manifested in a scene and not in the overworld. I tried letting it sit for 5 minutes, then 10 mins, but I still couldn't move with the keys. I alt-tabbed to Firefox, then back again to SOTA and I was able to move again with the keys. Like before I was able to move via the mouse.

5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@econner
    What kind of devices do you use? Type of mouse, keyboard, etc. Do you have anything with peripheral lighting?
    Also in the Options tab, there is a cog at the top. I'd "reset to defaults". While you installed recently, it now saves your settings to your account. There may be something there causing it, but it would be rather difficult to pinpoint until you try to customize ita gain. If this is something you tend to do.
    When this happens also take a look at your Task Manager. While you only have firefox running this could reveal something that is slowing down your PC to the point it becomes responsive. Tabbing in and out of programs can be sluggish depending on the current performance. It's a shot in the dark, but worth a look.

6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Key Tronic 104 key PS2 keyboard
    Logitech MX518 mouse
    no lighting

I reset to default and the only thing I usually change is to display numbers on the health bars and assign "Equip Deck" 1-9 to 1-9 on the numeric key pad. I"m fairly simplistic in my approach to controls. When this happens SOTA isn't un-responsive, I can round around with the mouse move at the same speed as I do when I use the keys. I'll check the processes next time and see if there is anything spiking but I have not noticed any unusual lag with the game or switching between apps.

7. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

@Lexie , Just happened again. I check the task manager and firefox was only using about 1-2% of cpu. Other than that, nothing else but sota was using a significant about of CPU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.