Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed]Launcher "Steam not Available"

Discussion in 'Release 42 Bug Forum' started by mass, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

I have been logging in through steam since, well, it was available. This release, several times I have launched through steam as I always do, and the 'login through steam' button is greyed out, and when I try to click it, it says 'Steam Unavailable'. I confirm that I am logged into steam when this happens. Sometimes a computer restart will resolve it, sometimes not. I can still log in with my SOTA credentials.

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Are you also on the most updated version of the steam client when that happens? I have mine set to auto update.
    I get this from time to time but I'm looking for a way to repro it. I assumed it was something I was doing as I often leave the client up (logged out) then come back and immediately try to log in again.

3. mass

mass Avatar

My steam client is set to autoupdate (and I see it update occasionally when I launch a game). I've been playing SOTA pretty regularly since persistence and this is the first release I've had this issue. I typically do a full shutdown of my PC at night, so the steam client has to launch fresh nearly every time I play. I'm on Windows 10, but I don't think there's been any recent updates there (though they are sneaky about it these days). Can't think of what else might cause it unless a recent steam update stopped communicating with the SOTA client or vice versa.

4. mass

mass Avatar

For what it's worth, logged in twice tonight through steam with no problems.

5. mass

mass Avatar

As an update: I find that when this occurs, if I simply exit steam and restart steam, it corrects itself, even though steam does not install an update.

6. Lexie

@mass
    I'm not seeing that at all, and I test with both steam and sota launchers. It was working over the weekend. Did you try it then?
    You may want to re-install the steam updater client (not SoTA) possibly. I've had to do that before with another game but it was awhile ago.

7. mass

mass Avatar

Yes, it happened last night just before I posted here. It seems to occur after the steam client has been running for a while, and then I launch SOTA, and it 'can't find' steam to login. Exiting SOTA, restarting steam, relaunch SOTA provides a work around. I'd never had the problem until R42, but I may try to reinstall the steam client if I can do it without playing havoc with my other games. I'm on Win10 for reference.

8. Lexie

As am I, Windows 10. Very strange. I can still launch from the main menu even if I had the client running for awhile. Since you play from Steam you may also want to try to verify files for SotA through the Steam menu.

mass likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've ran into this a couple times, and noticed each time if I close SotA and go back to Steam that there is another window open. Its generally been a notification that some event is ongoing (like the weekly community videos), but even a chat notification seems to prevent SotA from communicating with Steam. Close all of those and relaunch SotA, and I can connect without an issue.

I don't recall if this has happened in prior releases or not. I tend to close notifications as they come up.

10. mass

mass Avatar

I don't think I've ever had a notification popup in a new window. I didn't even know that was a thing.

11. Lexie

I didn't know either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.