Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Losing 7700 gold for LOOKING in a chest

Discussion in 'Release 44 Bug Forum' started by Hemswal The Descended, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

For immersion purposes, I get that people should have to be punished for stealing from towns (if they're caught) but this is outrageous. That's basically all of the gold I made while playing for several hours and lost it over nothing. I think it would make more sense to be jailed or fined a REASONABLE amount.

[​IMG]

8/22/2017 3:19 AM
    Title: Losing 7700 gold over some over zealous Justicar
    Reproduction Rate: 100% but I'll be damned if I'm going to even bother trying to prove that.
    Blocker? Yeah, it's blocking my coin purse from existing. (No, not actually a blocker)
    Details:I opened a chest to look in it in Soltown, a Justicar appears and I'm "fined" 7700 gold without having stolen anything.
    Steps to Reproduce: Go to camp by Soltown entrance, open chest, lose 7700 gold.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16348
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6049
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.645.Date.08.03.17
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (437.6, 13.0, -310.4)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCg0MzcuNjQ2LCAxMy4wNDcsIC0zMTAuMzc3KXwoMCwgLTAuODg3LCAwLCAwLjQ2MSl8MjE2LjQyOTF8NDIuMjg3NjN8MjU=

Relmwalker and Raistlyn like this.
  2. Hemswal The Descended

The box contained 2 or 3 books. I'd go screen shot the contents but I'm not interested in losing another 7700 gold because of an overly zealous scripted npc . :(

3. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Not cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Applerust likes this.
  4. Relmwalker

Relmwalker Avatar

Agreed ! As a brand new player I was curious and examining everything. I just clicked on a cabinet and was immediately accused of stealing and had all the gold I had Taken.. Perhaps the punishment could be linked to "TAKING" items.

Applerust likes this.
  5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Applerust I assume you are also Reiimwalker on this thread as well?
    Unfortunately the bug information above takes me to Novia, so I want to make sure I've narrowed it down to the right chest (at the right entrance)
    The chest I'm seeing is somewhat a small square (trunk-shaped) between two tents at the camp. So far, I'm not able to repro and I want to make sure we got the details right.
    Is this the right chest? any chance you can /loc the location?

Certainly, don't open again. I just need to make sure I have the right chest.

6. Lexie

If it is the chest next to PoT wagons (between two tents) I'm still not able to repro. In various instances, it is either empty or has a single leather piece. I haven't found one with 2-3 books nor I've been 'dinged' by a guard yet.
    Right now in multi, someone has looted this entire camp so I've tried in friends only, as well.

7. Strahd

Strahd Avatar

This happened to me in one of the Ardoris palaces.

8. Hemswal The Descended

No, I am not Relmwalker. I have 1 forum account. I will go there and get /loc for you.

9. Hemswal The Descended

Area: Soltown (Novia_R1_City_Soltown) Loc: (40.8, 34.3, 166.8) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9Tb2x0b3dufHwoNDAuODMsIDM0LjI3OCwgMTY2Ljc3Nyl8KDAsIDAuMiwgMCwgLTAuOTgpfDMzNS40ODkyfDI3LjI2Njc2fDE4

I did not and will not open it again. Sorry for the incorrect location info.

10. Lexie

@stahd
    Can you do a /bug at the location of the chest (without opening the chest)
    I can't do much without it...

11. Lexie

@Applerust
    Ok, it is the chest I thought it was. I've been looting this chest off and on since yesterday, multi and FO mode. I'm still trying to get busted, let alone get busted with a hefty fine. I haven't seen any books in it yet.
    I'm trying to repro by just looking in the chest, but I've also been looting as well. I'm just seeing the truth hits from that, at the moment.

If anyone else has any more information to provide we will gladly review. I'm sorry for the problems. I know that was a pretty hefty fine.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It is a random loot table. The books can be quite often worth 25g. So if it is 7700g fine then three such 25g books + something. This since the fine is 100g+(100g*value).
    When I did my testing on 44QA (not live) then if you talk to the guards/merchants and then open containers they are sometimes "focused" on you and you will get the fine quicker.
    So my guess is that the new player talked to the NPCs in the camp first and then opened the chest, but if I remember I can do a repro test when 45QA is released and report back.

Lexie likes this.
  13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Although as I have stated it in another thread, I 100% support the current system of fines. When you get busted and fined,a lesson is learned. You deem it too harsh? Some of the harshest lesson in life are the ones we never forget.
    If everyone wants a simple way to resolve this,it's not by removing or reducing the fines. Upon stealing the first time,let the guard appear and give a warning,letting the player know what will happen from now on. Or, introduce one starting quest in each staring zone where the player is instructed as to what happens to someone who steals.
    By the way,the fine is 100 gold plus 100 times for whatever you steal. If you didn't intend to take any items,don't open the chest.

If the cabinet didn't belong to you,you had no reason to click on it. Clicking would involve looking,which you would have no reason to do if it didn't belong to you. No one would come open my garage door to "look" around.

14. Hemswal The Descended

If you want to use real life as a point of reference, You would not be fined 7700 dollars for opening a box you found behind a tent. It would be more likely that the owner of the box would ask you what the hell you were doing or nothing at all because you wouldn't likely open some random box like that out of curiosity with the probable owner standing right beside you.

It isn't even illegal to open an unlocked container in a public place in real life. Alas, this is not real life. It's a game and as such, 7700 gold is far too much for opening a random box in town out of curiosity and without even having stolen anything. This is the exact type of thing that would turn off a new player. It needs to be fixed and made reasonable.

Ohh, as a side note, if you leave your front door unlocked in most states in the US and someone walks in your house, they have broken 0 laws.

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Hemswal The Descended

@Lexie Could my massively low truth virtue score have anything to do with an increased fine, possibly? I was under the impression that the fine was the base value of the item you stole * 100. What determines "stolen" and how many items can you be fined for at once? What is the time window for your criminal actions? Are you fined for what you stole that day or within the past few minutes or what you JUST stole that moment?

16. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

The fine is only for what you got caught stealing the moment before he shows up and lets you know you were caught. The reason I know is after it was put in, I tested it on a alt.
    If you have been destroying your truth virtue,that either means you would have to lie when you are asked your name by an NPC or you have made a habit of clicking one things you should not.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  17. Hemswal The Descended

@Lexie Have been discussing this with guildies (some of which are new players). An idea that came up was this: Give a warning that the person is about to commit a crime, kind of like when you flag for pvp on another player.

So, you go to pick up a candle/book/mug/plate/whatever from inside an npc town, then instead of the Justicar teleporting to you and taking your money, you get a warning that you are about to commit a crime and you're then prompted with a yes/no menu if you want to proceed with the crime.

Something like this would greatly benefit new players without causing undue frustration for something that may seem like no big deal to someone that is new or doesn't understand the system.

Browncoat Jayson and Rentier like this.
  18. Lexie

@Applerust
    I'm a little confused because the original report stated 'looking' in the chest. Is that still the case?

It's a good suggestion and don't take this as being dismissive because I'm just trying to help you. :)
    If you haven't yet, get your feedback in the feedback section! I'm so busy looking for bugs, people post here thinking this is the best place for feedback as well, and I promise everyone it really isn't :)

I do like it though. Seriously. It makes sense to me.

Applerust and Rentier like this.
  19. Hemswal The Descended

I don't think you're being dismissive. I'm not sure why you're confused though. I apologize if I wasn't clear. The answer is yes, all I did was look in the chest. I did not remove anything from it.

20. aseltine

aseltine Avatar

Actually, if we want to get technical, in real life you aren't guilty of shoplifting in a store until you leave the store (even if you put the item in your pocket). So if you want to get realistic, then we should have guys spawning outside trying to apprehend you, and then you can fight them - which some shop lifters do. Furthermore, most states have a $500 cap for the fine, so stealing a $25 book would get you a $500 fine. TL:DR - If you really want it to be realistic we're still overly harsh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.