Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Innate Skills BLOCKER

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Isaiah, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There is a real problem with the innate skills max points counter. It keeps me from advancing my character the way I would like.

Right from the start I went to the skills trainer and dropped my armor skills and sword skills so I can take magic. unfortunately I am not allowed to do that. I can get the spells just fine but I cannot put the points into the innate skills even though I have the skill points.

*** Not to mention the focus skill tree that pertains to deck speed potential is all innate!! WHAT THE HECK? Are you kidding me?

Why don't we just have character classes then?

KuBaTRiZeS, Quenton, Tarsin and 9 others like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't think it's quite that bad. but I don't agree with the "solution" to over powered innate skills is to limit the pts you can spend on them. In fact I think it compels people to spend pts on innate skills first and foremost bringing the issue even more so to everyone's attention.

As a non-magic user in my 20s I have all the innates I could really hope for and pretty much stuff that should be challenging for me right now can't even scratch me. There are still a few I'm working on but my level 40 I won't have seen much of a difference at all.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

so we just cannot start off with strong magic and weak everything else. We have to be more balanced?

4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it's that bad, i hate my build, i hate my deck and feel like i'm running around with a toothpick. Guess I could do what everyone else is but I don't want to, diversity has died in sota and so has the ability to specialize.

Lord Baldrith, Ice Queen and Isaiah like this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah I saw your post @Bowen so I figured I would log back in and it is really annoying that I cannot even take skills to raise my INT, DEX, or STR because I have innates some place else.

No thanks. I didn't even really like my character last month at level 70. I was hoping that there would be some new stuff to make the character better, but this is a step back. Some eggs broke. ... can't do whatever without brakin a few eggs or whatever. well this is a broken egg feature. lol

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

One thing is certain it will limit the choosing of skills. Who the heck needs light armor skills? REALLY? who needs them? NOBODY!

If my innates are limited... F the light armor skill tree (mage, rogue... etc) useless to me. I'll max my innates in more useful innates.

Moonshadow likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Can't really comment since I don't know what you're doing but I'm trying something new and going pole-arms this time around.. pretty specialized and having no real problem. I even have my 48 pts of Earth innates like I probably shouldn't have.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Although I'm making these claims based upon the current skills I see. Maybe limiting the innates can in fact work... I guess if the skills to chose from were different then maybe diversifying will be the result... I don't know I have enough explanation. maybe there is a good reason for this, but I just cannot see it.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So ive been playing and got up to about level 36.

I have to say at this moment in time combat is the most buggy I have ever seen it. You can't cast spells correctly, you get stuck in animation and you can't heal yourself.

It would be nice to have seen the basic mechanics working correctly and consistently before time was spent over 'balance'.....oh and restricting points isn't balance.....its just plain ridiculous. I currently don't have a home for 80 points......some might say to create another deck......well no I don't want to create another deck, because to do that I need to spend points in the innates for those skill trees attached to the 2nd deck......................some may say that I can just over stack my current deck to more than 25..... well no I don't want to do that either because I don't like my glyphs being that random that I can't stack or really do what I want to do, especially as my focus pool is so restricted. Awful, just plan awful.

Oh and while i'm having my little rant on how bad combat now is.....nice to see that the constantly being locked in combat bug was fixed (yeah right!)

10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I even tried compensating with glyphs i could activate but then my deck looked and functioned like donkey poo.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It makes a bit curious just what you guys are doing to end up in that kind of situation. Will I eventually reach that point the way I build characters? Is it mainly a magic user problem?

I've been saying it since I first heard about it.. limiting passive skill points is not a workable solution.. it's an attempt at a dirty quick fix which during a pre-alpha stage isn't necessary. This is pre-alpha.. what's the rush? Take your time, figure it out and do it right. Rebalance the innates that are over powered or otherwise redesign how they function. Like make the effectiveness of innates based on how many other points are spent in that skill set or something.

Limiting skills doesn't solve any balance problems.. they're still there. It only mitigates your access to those problems.. maybe. In my case it didn't limit me at all and I'm not even level 30 yet.

Sinclair and Moonshadow like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Depends how you wish to play. For me, I play with a deck consisting of 25-30 glyphs. Once im at the point where all my chosen glyphs are in my deck, its all about innates; so I end up with a load of points that are redundant.

Lord Lonn, Vermine, Womby and 5 others like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah I'm really annoyed at the spells getting stuck in animation. Is that bug report already posted? I would like to get my darn levels before the end of this month but I'm done trying today.

The spells getting stuck in animation is really annoying.

Lord Baldrith, Arianna and Moonshadow like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I start on my innates early. Maybe I need them cause I feel like a wuss? I don't know. As a fighter type though maybe I just don't use as many?

I'm reminded though of the first time the skill trees were revealed and I saw the moon and sun innates I was like "hey wait a minute! Everyone and their mother are going to invest in these no matter what kind of build they're doing. They're going to want that Str/resistence/etc to min/max their builds"

It's one thing to have those kinds of innates in their own separate skill tree like tactics.. it's another to spread them out so that they overlap with each other like a lot of them do now.

Moonshadow likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

EXACTLY. anything over 30 glyphs in a deck is a waste of skills. This is where the deck system disintegrates.

By not allowing us to take the innate skills we are forced to diversify. However if we do diversify we cannot get the innate skills of the tree we are forced to diverifiy to. For example: Say I'm a death and fire mage. I max out on the innates on those two trees... now I have these extra skills... I need to go buy some life magic I say... problem is the healing sucks because I cannot buy the innates to make it useful not to mention diluting the deck.

The real problem here is the DECK! All these changes are made so that people diversify their skills, but the deck is limited by its very nature. We cannot have 50 skills.

So what else do we do? Make alternate decks?... okay fine but we cannot get the innates to have a solid alt.

The failure of the deck system is proven by the fact that NOBODY wants to create alt decks. People make a solid deck and choose innates to fill out the character.

Now they are forcing us to not take as many inmates so we diversify, but I personally feel hindered by this forced diversification. Why are we doing this again... so we can FORCE people to create alt decks? DROP THE DECK SYSTEM and let us pick the skills we want, and use them when we want.

Lord Lonn, Vermine, Jaxtron and 7 others like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I can live with the deck system.....in fact I have used 2 decks......but I want to build it how I want to.

Lord Lonn, Jaxtron, Womby and 5 others like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also the static deck is hindered too. I start out with this guy with swords skills. However after i click my skills I have to wait like 20 seconds for cool downs before I can fight again????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So I destroy that default deck and make it a normal deck and I can fight just fine. The switch is gigantic and I didn't even buy any new skills... same level 5 guy, same skills but swaped mechanisms.

I don't know what other combat system they can go to. This card / toolbar thing is really a problem, and the combat is weak. The fact we cannot pick our skills intensifies this.

I think it is GREAT that you guys added the innate blocker because it more readily exposed the state of SotA combat. I hope it changes state... maybe to the "state of change".

Arianna and Moonshadow like this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe you can. I had hopes, but I think the people who are saying this genre is dying or dead might be right.

19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

on the plus side, I had enough left over skill points to invest in bezerker

Isaiah likes this.
  20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Isn't that an innate skill? In any case I have no interest in any of those stances. I think a stance should be a choice that we can change at will (apart from the toolbar/deck). We should be able to learn a stance and enter it via shortcut key. I don't want to put a stance in my deck.

Come to think of it I really don't like having potions, dodge, and lots of things in the deck. I acclimated myself to the deck system, but it really controls too much. I want more control. I reread my statements I made in 2013, about the deck system, and that unbiased opinion I held ... I think I like it, I knew what I liked back then and it holds true now.

Basically I said let offensive stuff be put in the deck, and stuff like stances, potions, stealth, etc be non deck related.

Although I'll go a step further today, and say we could do without a deck entirely. Now that we've tried it I liked it in R8, but I cannot stand the stacking and combining we have today.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.