Introduction to Polearms

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Cryodacry, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

abridged version:

step 1) put any number of polearm skills in a deck
    step 2) set all your polearm skills to train
    step 3) press 1
    step 4) repeat step 3

Dhanas likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Is there a reason why some skills you mention being very useful (like pull) are not GM? Is there some sort of reason? Why is Skewer best at 105 instead of 100, basically what do those 5 extra points give to make them special (like for blades and rend getting an extra bleed tick at 81 compared to 80).

Ive been using Polearms since I learned I can poison them, but haven't looked at the changes that much. Also, isnt leg sweep decent in PvE too? Tried taking it off of my bar when I read this again, and feel like I was dying a bit more often (or at least I started dying after taking it off of my PvE bar) my main skills have always been Puncture, Leg Sweep and skewer even for regular PvE simply because LS makes them vulnerable and hitting a downed enemy results in backstabs and Skewer helps VS casters that can heal themselves or others. Imput from you being so high leveled in them would be appreciated!

Btw this acts as a slight bump for you at the same time :p

3. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

I may not be the greatest at polearms but I have some different views....

1) I never use "Push", not sure why I would want to push stuff - suppose to maximize my range advantage but its just not worth it imo
    2) This is really good in PvP, PvE not really so much, again my opinion. Was good when everyone did control points to pull mobs in to AOEs.
    3) Puncture is perhaps the best weapon skill in the game.
    4) Spinning attack - Again I rarely use this, its rare Im fighting that many mobs - could just be the zones I go to and the focus cost is redic.
    5) I love Leg Sweep, its a necessity in PvP and its super handy in a lot of PvE as well.
    6) Skewer is again great but as said high focus cost but worth it imo. Why to 110 Im not sure though as the healing debuff doesnt scale except for a few seconds, and you get 100% immobilize at 100. Think Id rather put that XP in to something else...

1) Polearm skill yea, go high, 140 is tough for a lot of people though - 120 min imo
    2) I got reach to 100, increased range is one of the best things in polearms
    3) Defensive position - yea 80 is fine here...
    4) bec de fauc - one of the best innates out there - I suppose trailing by 30 points is ok, Id still aim for 120 though
    5) Spec... this is real good if you want to be polearm specific, I found specs had more impact in my mage trees... Also unsure of the value of it vs its massive XP cost above 80

Id also go higher in STR, this helps damage and chance to hit for polearms. Train strength and the strength buff should be a priority imo. Dex is nice to help with crits but Id take STR any day over dex.

My deck is also pretty different, Punctures as much as you have, same with skewer, I lock leg sweep to use when needed and dont have spinning attack. I also use offhand attack when using dual spears to help a lot on focus cost.

Again all my opinion but I thought Id toss in my 2 cents.

4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I've been using polearm as my primary since wipe (way back when). Secondary is Long Bow for those annoying archers who like to run away!

I'm a big fan of Pull. I've taken push off my deck mainly because I want to bring enemies in closer and I can keep womping on them. Push usually means I have to move closer again to attack. Depends like it's been said on the situation.

Skewer has been very handy. Love the immobilization. And Puncture of course. Been thinking of pushing those past my current level of 100. Guess it's time to revisit The Rise for more XP :)

I play spear and shield. Found it's handy having that shield around. Also using chainmail armor and I've pushed most Earth skills up in the 80's or higher.

Good write up btw. Has me rethinking the innates now.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

At Polearm 70, the rest of the tree to 60, I do find Push handy from time to time, say, against Corpions or Footsoldiers etc...

You can typically still hit them while pushed back, but sometimes they get pushed back far enough where they are not in hit range. I don’t know if range at 80 will make a difference though.

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I love pole arms. My only gripe is that the 'knockdown' animation isn't as good as it was back in the R24-29 time frame. Back then the avatar could do what looked like a flying kick, with a knock down effect, while wielding a pole arm. Others observed that animation and commented on it. At or around R30, that animation effect really lost something and has been bland since. Now the knocked down NPC mostly just falls over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.