Inventory System

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Viper0hr, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

I like the inventory system from the Ultima games that has a bag that you can actually move the items and inner bags around. I would like to see a similar inventory system in this game or at least a system that is not standard MMO/RPG Bag and upgrade system.

2. Lord Bruce

Lord Bruce Avatar

I agree with this concept but there must also be a way to easily transport excess inventory to secure storage. That could be a banking system available in most cities and towns or parcel delivery system available in cities, towns and villages or some other means without having to travel excessive distances to unload excess inventory.

An example of a Parcel Delivery Service would be where you can leave excess inventory you wish to keep at any shop or bazar stall and for a fee, based on either value or quantity of goods being transported, a courier service picks up the packages and delivers them to your home or (if available) rented room.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I kinda like the idea of couriers.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of inventory system I want with the exception that I think it should include a weight system, if not space limitations. It seems absurd to me for everyone to have bottomless backpacks of holding.

4. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

I like the Ultima bag system as well.

5. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I liked it but I like the WoW inventory system better. At least its a bit more organized then everything on the same spot so you have to move stuff around to reach the correct item.

But... they should make it optional. It should be pretty easily to make it an option that you can have one big bag or you have a grid in that bag where items are stored (with up and down arrows of course). That would be the best solution. Then we can swap. :p

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

If pick pocketing is going to be part of the game, then the pidgeon hole system would be bad. it would be better to have the UO system where the pickpocket would have to rifle through subbags, move things that covered the good stuff, and so forth. Snooping someone's back should present the pickpocket with a supermarket shelf full of goodies.

7. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I am also a fan of UO's system.

8. InNoxAnNox

InNoxAnNox Avatar

I too am a fan of the UO system, and would love to see it brought back in this game! Loved being able to stack my stash how I wanted it, as it was almost a mini-game at times trying to keep your stuff stacked the best way to make it hard to thieve.

There are so many little touches just like this one that I think could be brought back and expanded/improved on.

Bottom line is I am NOT a fan of the "grid system." :)

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Bags are better than slots PERIOD. UO system all the way.

10. joeymeyer

joeymeyer Avatar

Backing the Ultima Bag inventory.

"A five ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut"

Strength and stamina base bag with open inventory space not segmented by squares. please? ;]

I am not sure what feeling it gives me. maybe it's just not a modern day MMO or if it feels more tangible. I like the ability to loose my items in my own clutter as if I would in my backpack that is perched next to me.. (scavenges through his pack for his cell phone now.)

Well my submission is in! I hope we win this battle between the non believers.

11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

UO system! I want to make draws with my stuff in the vendors! ;)

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I like the UO/U7 bag system too, except for the fact that you could do things like put a huge item in a tiny bag, it would be nice if items had sizes to them.

I didn't find the mess a problem at all. Only a problem when the game didn't offer you options to organize your stuff. So for instance, at first, U7 didn't have a keyring. What made that worse was a bug that caused keys to disappear. It would be nice to also see things like belt purses that are for specific small volume items like coins and reagents, which existed in the middle ages.

13. Kisai

Kisai Avatar

I like the UO/U7 style inventory system, but I want to see a "sort" button.

Like, if I'm the player, clicking a "armor" "weapon" or "food" icon would show only those items in my bag. If I'm a pickpocket, then those buttons don't exist (one game I play right now, Wizardry Online, actually has all the items "unidentified") so it's possible to loot a half-million gold gachapon item, or a 100g shiny rock, because they look exactly the same pre-identified.)

Like one of the problems with U7's inventory was in fact the manual organizing. Particularly with items that look identical (keys were especially problematic.) I really hate WoW/EQ/SWTOR/WO's "one slot, one item" approach because these tiny images all look alike. Likewise Mabinogi/Diablo's "tetris inventory" makes things easy to identify, but hard to organize.

There has to be a good compromise where we have the self-organization of U7's inventory, with the auto-sorting mechanism found in other games. Like... Mabinogi lets you specify a bag as "only food" or "only weapons" so when you pick those items up, they only go in that bag, and if it's full, it goes in the general purpose backpack.

When buying items from PC/NPC's, they should also be like the inventory bag, but hiding items not for sale. A pickpocket who wants to steal from a store could try to steal any item for sale, but they'd be noticed if there are other PC/NPC looking at the store.

Another possibility is buying different types of backpacks with different capacity and sorting options.

14. koden2

koden2 Avatar

Sign me up for U8/UO style bag system also. As long as its easy to target the objects. Playing UI on high resolution screens, the objects are tiny.
    I loved being able to sort my bags how i wanted, even dyeing them colours. Also moving around bags full of itemsrather than item by item.

I found it difficult to manage bags in WoW with the grid slots. Trying to keep the good stuff separate from the junk as the bag fills up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.