Is it me, or is it pay to win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bornhald, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

It is amazing how adept you are at sailing blithely past the point...

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

That's because you seem to miss the basic premise that this is a for profit company NOT a charity. I volunteer for a charity, give up every wed night and most weekends to do various things for them, I run there training, I manage the division. Would I do that for Woolworths? HELL NO, they make a profit they can pay me. The same goes here, they are intending to make a profit out of this, the "equity" that any investor would get is the pledge rewards. They aren't gifts out of the kindness of RG's heart, they are returns on investment

BillRoy likes this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I'm so glad you validated your position with real life experience... while you continue sailing away...

The point, since you seem to have missed it, was that EVERYONE who pledged more than $10 to support this game did so with the receipt of a working copy of the game as a return on their investment. Yes, there are SIGNIFICANT sweeteners on the dish for pledging more, but at the core of it, EVERYONE pledged for one thing: to help make this game happen.

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Quoted For Truth

Lana Rhiane, Lord Baldrith and rild like this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

You mean everyone bought the game. Hey I bought a block of chocolate yesterday, not because I think cabury is a great company and I so want them to do well and blah blah blah. No I bought it because I was hungry and felt like it. I also bought Tomb Raider yesterday and guess what, I bought it for the same reason, it sounded like a great game and the price had gone down to a level I felt like I was ready to buy it. Everyone who bought a first responder pledge did so for the same reason, they thought it was a good game and worth the price of $25 (or whatever)

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I think it says GAME

Look further down the kickstarter page to Bonus rewards & Pledge UPDATES.

$25 - FIRST RESPONDER --- DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF FULL GAME.

And That's what people paying the $60 on release will expect.

Bornhald and BillRoy like this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Now, please excuse me while I go hunt down some deer with my Elven bow, carve it up with my skinning knife and cleaver of Prosperity, retire to my Lighthouse, and kick back to a good read of Novia's early history, as penned by Tracy the Elder, of Hick.

(Seriously... I'm going deer hunting in Novia... have fun! :D)

(P.E.: Please note... I don't have any of this (which might be indicated by the Elven Bow, which probably isn't even in the game yet).

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  8. rild

rild Avatar

This lil nugget right here just *sparkles*

smile1930 and Dame Lori like this.
  9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

So by that logic, there should be no pledge tiers, because everyone who pledged should have full ACCESS to everything in the game? Sorry, I missed where the words FULL ACCESS TO EVERYTHING were in those pledges...

*pulls out scrying lens*

(See what I did there? Being able to download the FULL GAME does not confer ACCESS to everything inside it... back to hunting deer...)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Except it's not true. Is it really so inconceivable to some of you that at least some people pledged for the rewards associated with the tier?

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Exactly, so paying for pre placement of your house on a lot is a crap shoot. You could place your house in a seemingly high traffic location only to find out that the players are congregating somewhere distant. Someone that builds the assets and purchases everything from within the game could end up with a prime location.

smile1930 likes this.
  12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Nope... waiting for the update to download on crappy hotel internet because my job has me in a different state every week :p

Maybe you should come hunt them with me... I am hunting them to see what improvements were made on one of my first suggestions *laughs* If I approve, only a couple will die... If not, there will be BLOOD!

rild and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The property out on the front lines could be way more valuable. Maybe more risk of being under siege but those hard core PvPers that you sell to probably want to get your house back for you ASAP.

It's all about perspective.

smile1930 likes this.
  14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's not a crap shoot. It's nice because I can be fairly sure to get a spot close to the players I know and want to live by. Backers who get lot deeds definitely have an advantage where it comes to community building, unless they plan to live in a player owned city that will hold a spot for them. But on the front of material advantage, yeah, I'd agree--except for those players who plan to use community to build an attractive POI, but as far as I know almost every single one of those people will be living in a player owned town anyway.

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yep I pledged founder lord marshal just for the perks, as many people do. It is a trade off. The game needs funding, but people are not going to give without incentive. You do not give money for nothing.

16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Did you miss the "at the heart" part? EVERYONE pledged, because they wanted to help make the game happen... SOME pledged MORE because they liked what they saw. I won't lie... my immediate pledge (when I had the money) was Collector, as I wanted access to all 5 episodes, the collector's box, coin AND the map!

rild, Kaisa and Hardy like this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Right? There's no shame in admitting that we are getting valuable perks in return for our pledge money. If that makes it P2W in the eyes of some, so be it. Personally my take on it is in line with RG's argument, which is that similar bonuses would be purchasable from other players anyway via eBay and the like. I admit it I did prefer the original pledge structure, which offered less in the way of rewards, though. That felt pretty appropriate and not so overwhelming at the higher tiers.

BillRoy likes this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I see posts getting deleted. And the regret sets in.

Lana Rhiane and Hardy like this.
  19. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

No, I didn't miss it. I called shenanigans on it.

BillRoy likes this.
  20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

oh... I'm terribly sorry... it was naive of me to think that everyone pledged to make the game... I guess some pledged for the rewards or perks not caring whether the game is made or not... I was wrong with my assumption... T_T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.