Is row right for me?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by aaronvf, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Hey folks!

Was thinking of purchasing a row lot through the add on store and before I pulled the trigger wanted a little feedback.

I am a someone casual player, about 2 hours a day 3-4 days a week. I am looking to have a house to decorate and store stuff in. Might have a shop out front to sell extra loots and mats. I understand a row lot comes with the 2 story house.

Is keeping up with the upkeep going to be time consuming for a more casual player? I don't want to spend most of my in game time grinding to pay for the upkeep? Is there something I'm missing?

Is it going to be a nightmare trying to find a row lot whenever I get early access to lots (founder pioneer)?

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's impossible to know, however the Row House should be the most affordable.

One thing you should know. Starr has stated categorically (not something he does often or lightly) that there is no space to put a vendor outside a row house.

Lord Baldrith and Themo Lock like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Hi aaronvf!

I don't know why upkeep would get in the way, but I guess it is too early to tell. But in my opinion, a row lot is an excellent size to run a business if placed properly.

Welcome and best of luck! See you in the game!

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I quite like the row hoses, they look nice. Not a large area to decorate but you can add a basement to it later. The rent wont be backbreaking i think and you also have the option of signing on with one of the player owned towns ahead of release to secure a lot and perhaps low or even no rent (depending on how that ends up being implemented).

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Sounds reasonable. I was guessing since it's the lowest tier lot the upkeep can't be terrible.

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hi and welcome aaronvf. Oh I think you'd be very happy with the row house.. Maybe the only thing to consider would be the land issue. Row lots take the whole lot and I've heard we will have some farming ability later and if you
    are interested in that aspect perhaps the row lot and house would not be for you. I have a row house 4 story in game right now and I love it. I have the 5 story basement, and it's a lot of room. So above is a video of some of the
    housing from of a community member Mad Hermit. Also a couple of pics of my row house ingame now that is located in Ardoris. So feel free to ask any questions, enjoy. The middle picture is my basement and hot tub.

7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Getting the lot is key as there is only so much land. Once you own the land, you should be able to upgrade the lot to a larger row house I would imagine, or add a large basement.

8. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Can you put a smaller house on the lot and use extra land for a garden?

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  9. enderandrew

Not with row lots. They are designed for no yards, with houses right next to each other in an urban setting. You can with a village lot.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There isn't a smaller house really, a couple of the row houses jut in a bit and leave room to put a couple of things in front of them. There maybe some other options for growing things without land and don't quote me it's just ideas I've heard
    here and there that people would like to see, but anyway perhaps ability to grow things in flower pots or ability to grow or in other areas of the houses. There are a couple of balconies in some of the row houses. I'm sure there will be something
    availbable for the row house people, we just don't know what exactly at this moment. The row house concept is actually a fairly new addition to shrouds, but it is lovely.:)

11. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

That's good to hear!

Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
  12. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Last question, will a pre-purchased lot be usable in solo mode?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. enderandrew

It will be there for solo online. You will see other people's lots in solo online and they will see yours, but you won't see the other players. Just their lots and the online economy.

For offline, you're not competing with anyone for lots and you can buy any lot in the game with in game gold at your convenience.

Lord Baldrith, aaronvf and Tahru like this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Remember purchasing a Row Lot will still incur in game rental for the lot, THEY ARE NOT RENT FREE, if oyu want a rent free lot oyu need to upgrade your pledge, If all you want is a row LOT you can wait and just by it with in game gold and wont have to spend $ to get it and it will still require in game rent. And yes they are usable in Single player.

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The pledge teir is called Ancestor and you pledge for t$275 that includes rent free row lot and two story house and all rewards plus whatever is on the teirs below. lol ok not trying to fry your brain. You can probably earn the rent fairly easy
    in game and should just go the route that works best for you. Please don't worry about asking a zillion questions, it is understandable being new. ***cheers***

16. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

After my small house in UO when I first started out I was surprised how much space there actually is to decorate on the most basic house type on SOTA.

A 4 storey house with 5 sub levels? Much better than I expected from the games most basic housing lot.

I wonder if the devs considered making houses similar to these with steps up the side where you could rent a floor?

You would not be able to change the exterior of such a house but maybe buy different interior wall designs and choose from 1 large room or 2 split rooms on the floor?

Would be ok for those players less into home-owning/decorating but want somewhere to store their loot at the end of the day and maybe put up a couple of trophies.

17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

If you need more space later on, you can always buy a basement (up to 5 stories) that gives you a LOT of extra room. The first floor of a row basement has very high ceilings and is fantastic space. You can actually put 10 crafting tables in a single level of a row basement.

majoria70, Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  18. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

I pooled funds with my nephew yesterday and we put up a row lot to try the housing out before the next release. We put down a row lot with a 4 storey stone house and 1 storey basement, we both commented at the time on how large that first basement floor is - its a pretty impressive space.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Most row houses have more floor space than most village houses.
    This simply because row housing not only uses the full 10x15 they also have a minimum of two floors, usually more.
    You really need to go up to high pledges like Knight to see a village house which has larger floor space, than the 4 story row.

Same thing with village 5 story basement vs row 5 story basement. The floor space on the row is about 40% of the village on a quarter of the space. Staircases are placed more neatly. You don't get any doors though.

So even if the description says a row lot is a quarter of a village lot, it really doesn't feel like it in living space.

Budner and Themo Lock like this.
  20. enderandrew

That being said, houses are not limited the way lots are.

Once you've secured a lot, you can upgrade to a larger house in game for gold later. There are some really nice 4 story row houses, and 5 story basements. You can get tons of room with a row lot, but no yard. If you're fine with no yard, a row lot is great.

If you really need a yard, then try to get a village lot.

Themo Lock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.