Is there a way to tell a level of a wandering mob, or is it random?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by sarbonn, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

The other night, I ran into a bandit on the road (on the main map), and a group of them spawned. I had a fun battle, then found tons of nodes to take advantage of, and then continued on my merry way. Did it again last night and had a fun time. Then another bandit was walking towards me (and he was the same color above the head as the previous two), and then Tier 5 guys spawned and seriously killed me. Not just killed me. But SERIOUSLY killed me. My dog was sitting next to me watching me play, and even though he's never spoken before, he said: "Dood, you got seriously p'wned!" And then he went back to playing with his Nintendo Switch.

So, do they just spawn random tiers, or is there a way to figure out what you're going to get before you attack?

Kara Brae and FrostII like this.
  2. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

The random plain encounters are usually tier 5 mobs,but the way to tell the difference is by the color of there name i.e.green.yellow,orange and red being above tier 5 and green being tier 1 and so on,hope i helped in answering your question and welcome to SotA!

Numa and sarbonn like this.
  3. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

It is all about the terrain you encounter them on. Stick to roads for low level encounters. Wandering the wilds between the roads can sometimes be a shortcut, but the random enemies there are much harder.

discipleofweb, Alley Oop and sarbonn like this.
  4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

once in the encounter under the compass you should see the level of it, now there maybe lower level mobs, but, and say teir 2/3 but this can still then once you wipe stuff out spawn higher level mobs - such as if you get in the corpion one near desolis, its lower lvl corpions.. and then 2-3 huge corpions appear which are much higher, and possibly a darsktarr corpion who has >1k hp, clearly not teir 2/3.. same is true with a number of zones.. if you go to wyntons folly its teir 3 I think... except in there is the pheonix.... nasty little whatsit and he is not only hard but you have to kill him twice! he is much higher he would be 5+

in short a tier of a zone is only a guide to some of it :) there maybe some nastier bits of it

5. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I could have sworn that guy was a green. Kind of thought that was a good way of figuring it out but that definitely didn't work out to my advantage.

rpgmaniac82 likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Lol..... Next time, take him with you and see what he says then ! :p

Numa and sarbonn like this.
  7. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Aye when just looking at them from afar they are all green unless you engage them.

sarbonn likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this. if something in the wild is chasing you and you're not gonna be able to outrun it, drag it to a road.

Numa and Jaesun like this.
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

That's a relatively new and uncommon thing the devs put in the game. Sometimes, after killing all the opponents in a wandering encounter, a second and more difficult wave appears. I believe some even have mini bosses after a few waves. I've actually been engaging in random encounters looking for that 2nd wave but haven't found it yet. I know you don't feel so lucky since you were killed - but I've been dying (no pun intended) to encounter those multi-wave random encounters.

10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

go do the corpions by desolis :p

Numa and By Tor like this.
  11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Ah, thanks!! I will. :)

12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The loading screen for the easy roadside encounter says something like “Something alongside the road has caught your attention”. Once the scene has loaded it tells you at the top of the screen that it is a tier 2 scene. The difficult plains encounter scene tells you it is a tier 5 scene. Although I can now survive the tier 5 scene if I’m careful, I always just immediately sprint out of the scene. Although there are nodes and resources, for some reason I don’t enjoy collecting them there.

I don’t know if it still exists, but there used to be a plains encounter in Drachvald with a dragon. My deaths in that encounter remind me of the death of Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter books. I spawned in the seemingly empty scene. Death. Never saw it coming.

13. Alley Oop

that's tied to the stag encounters up there now. you kill too many of the dragon's food supply and they show up angry

Kara Brae likes this.
  14. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Disturbingly, on the roads right by the Middle Downs, I keep getting tier 5 encounters, and if it's the bandits one I rarely survive as you seem to start in range of at least three archers. Even if I'm running from the moment I get in the scene, one or two of them slowing me means I'm dead.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the color depends on your level comparison, like other "con" for mobs.

Click on the wandering creature to see it's health, which is always crazy high (maybe a total?), but it does scale up by tier. Unfortunately, not always helpful while being chased.

16. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

But typically you only see the color in the zone, not on the world map. I've noticed things like trolls have different world map colors, but skeletons and bandits were always green on the world map regardless of whether standing in plains or road.

17. Alley Oop

oh no, if you're low enough level they'll turn yellow or higher when they start to chase you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.