Is there enough Gold in game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

*I* don't have enough gold, but there's no reason to start building goldsinks yet. Just analyze who is getting gold legit and who is exploiting to get overbalancing gold, and rob the exploiter, giving that gold back as loot drops for the rest of us. It Cant take THAT long to run an analytic program nowadays and interpret the data.

I'm grinding about two hours a day, saving about 400 gold an hour after equipment replacement/skillpoint buying/etc buying. this is DOWN a bit in r33. At this point, I'll have enough gold to finally buy a lottery ticket in a week i think... but... i'll never make the gold for the 10k one ;( At this tender time in my startup, i cant afford to gold sink, I'll probably have better luck saving gold to buy a house somewhere down the line. I'm up to 500 gold just to expand my bank 10 slots now which is a double :(

I generally like the game. The mechanics are coming along, and gold per hour is no where near where it will be soon. I'm taking it as it comes, because ya'll know there's a wipe coming. There's no way there's not another wipe.

THE HENDOMAN

2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

First off sales are going to be slow everywhere except owl's head. It's getting better but it's not.
    Secondly, Many crafters have gotten to the skill level they want and aren't buying or have run out of money due to slow sales.
    Thirdly, With the gold per hour of adventurers getting tightened every patch, there is less and less original gold getting into the game. So everyone has less money to spend, because the economic engine has been throttled.
    Finally, with money being so tight and the only viable path to money right now being a gatherer, everyone is gathering, so there are very few people left to sell gathered goods too, because everyone is getting them.

Currently the only way to make money, is look up the BMC price list, undercut it, and hope some reseller comes along and buys up your stock to relist at BMC prices.
    Other than that, there is always teleport and recall scrolls, which are about the only thing a crafter can make with a profit margin instead of a loss margin.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Never going to happen.

Outside of this, you make some good points that I forgot to add into my feedback post above.

This is actually what I meant by the loot tables being tricky. As a mage I'm keeping all of my reagents that I pick up, others might very well sell them and make more per hour than I do. I'm also not factoring in repair costs which are less than someone wearing plate and wielding a sword but still significant.

And that becomes the question of R33. How would someone legitimately make money?

I was thinking last night about going into the recall scroll business because it's so cheap and easy to do (@Lazarus Long I have no idea why you keep saying it's not, I've done it enough times on my own to know you're wrong.) however you still need buyers and who's going to buy when people don't have a lot of gold? Well, people that want a huge discount. It costs 6 gold per mandrake and you need 10 mandrake to make one scroll (if I remember correctly off the top of my head) so even if you're growing your own mandrake (which I am) you're operating costs are about 60 gold per scroll. Some people are still selling scrolls for 100 to 175 a piece, so if you undercut them you're making what? 40 to 100 gold per scroll? That's not a bad way to subsidize your income per hour but the days of getting rich off of it are probably on hold at the moment.

But I'd love to hear experiences from people that try it.

4. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

The Nerf Hammer beat us adventurers hard, so hard... I am still reeling from the pain of the large, heavy, powerful Nerfing beatdown I received..! :eek: The pain is real from the wicked Nerfage wrot by the force of the hammer! :confused:

Seriously though. Gold per hour is way down period. Taming was beaten so very very hard it languishes in the dust, unuseable, further reducing gold intake. And the new gold sink has formed, you better save your week of grinding or you'll never get a chance to own an in-game deed.

I will not be buying anything from here on out until I get a land deed... Right? Everything I can possibly save has to go into that... I imagine lots of people feel that way. I certainly hope everyone who wants a deed can get one, especially those who were counting on in-game deeds!!!:)

Snikorts likes this.
  5. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I'm down 66% gold per hour this version.
    I would still say my earn rate is better than listed here but it's a lot less than it was 2 Days ago.

Last weekend I found a very expensive item I wanted so I spent a few days grinding out the gold and gave it to another player. I saw another one last night (for a bit less actually) but there is is little chance I'm going to do that again at these rates. It would probably take a month or two of normal play and not buying anything.

Which is really where I would love to get to.
    Being able to make a decent return clearing a dungeon with some decent loot at the end (and not just reagents or whatever else they have talked about putting in the loot bundles). Grinding for gold isn't fun on green mobs but it's the only way to make any significant return.

I think I saw the book store mentioned earlier, it was a happy find but yeah, other than throwing gold at them as a kudos I don't have a need for the product.

Pikuko and Kaisa like this.
  6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

To be honest I wonder what's the point of getting one of those lots now though? I mean even if you manage to win what then? Those lots are taxable so some people might find themselves getting "lucky" and winning a deed only to find that they have to end up spending most or all of their playtime just to afford the taxes on it. I mean some people are lucky if they get an hour a day to play.

Whyterose Flowers and Snikorts like this.
  7. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I bought the wood you put up a week ago or so. Came back a couple of times, but didn't see it for sale again. I personally don't need the cotton (I grow about 1k Raw Cotton every 3 days) or the animal hides (I'm a mage). I'd definitely buy more pine wood in particular though for the right prices. I've been away from the game for a little while due to work travel, so I haven't checked recently.

8. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

youre basing your math on wrong numbers. a recall scroll is 10 blackpearl, 10 nightshade and 5 wood pulp. lets forget about the pulp. cheapest to buy i found is bp for 6g and nightshade for 4g.... thats 100g. so undercutting 100g youre actually losing money.

Snikorts likes this.
  9. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I just looked in my pockets and saw the same lint that has been there Since release. I don't remember the last thing I bought. I do remember buying some recipes way back. Now I can't afford to buy anything. I may have to go to L.B.'s castle and ask for some temporary assistance. Not a complaint mind you I am use to being poor so this is no change.
    I just wish Port would quit dangling things like lot deeds for 5 & 10K in front of my nose.
    It is a good thing I can use public crafting stations because @5K a pop Things would really come to a standstill.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ha, true.
    There is usually some pine up for sale ;-) will put some more up during the weekend hehe.
    But you weren't the only customer missing.

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Not if you grow your own. Each plant yields 10 or so Mandrake last time I harvested some. You'll have to buy or gather the black pearls in the wild though.

12. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

thing is recall doesnt need any mandrake ;). j/k

i didnt consider that, but i somewhere picked up that planting costs something aswell? not as much and the 100gp could work then.

13. Selene

Selene Avatar

Seeds and water. :)

Snikorts likes this.
  14. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Where I'm at, school started this week so I haven't been in game much at all because other things needed to get done instead. I'm probably not the only player affected by academic schedules, so at this particular point in time, widespread changes in behavior are just as likely to be attributable to external factors as in-game ones. I would guess for things to start stabilizing more after Labor Day.

15. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

From a look around yesterday, post R33, what used to bring me a reasonably steady income has become far less rewarding in gold terms - killing a humanoid creature that dropped a halberd used to mean about 20-25 gold 'cash' and maybe 80-100 selling the item, that dropped to in several cases 12 cash, and the halberd now sells for 35...

Perhaps long term it'll balance out, but I'm bothered by this sort of change dropping in like this, since it's been said the prices determined for the lottery tickets and lot rents was influenced by the money they saw us making. Well that income scaled down very dramatically, and it looks like, especially for people coming in to the game now, the lottery prices and rent prices will be out of reach - until the next changes, if/when those happen.

Sure, still not released .... but it's a persistent world that people have to pay to play on, so a little more restraint on the massive drop-of-a-hat changes might be more sensible, not just 'boom' and the world changes dramatically every few weeks....

Snikorts and Kaisa like this.
  16. mass

mass Avatar

Seems like they are clearly trying to control inflation. They allowed a large gold supply in R32 to allow character growth and stimulate the new economy, now they need to curb inflation to stabilize.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  17. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

They can't wipe it would basically be suicide for them to wipe at this point. Really though the game should have not gone into persistence yet. They should have delayed it but now here we are and there is nothing to do but try to fix this mess as best they can :/ But they need to stop trying to "fix" things by hitting everything with a giant nerf bat

Whyterose Flowers, Snikorts and agra like this.
  18. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

I was doing this for a while last release, but determined my time was better spent harvesting or making potions instead, because the wood pulp is a huge time sink to add in the equation. I was selling scrolls almost as quickly as I put them up for sale at 150g each, but after getting enough gold from them to meet my immediate needs, didn't find the opportunity cost of other things I could be doing instead worth continuing. I would certainly not do it for 100g each, unless there was something else available of greater investment value that I wanted the cash for.

19. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Welcome to the world of inflation control, my friends. ;)

When money gets too cheep and abundant and products and services are more valuable then they should be...the 'man' steps in with the 'scarcity' hammer. A contractionary money policy is implemented (reducing the amount of cash in the economy) and thus the market is 'forced' to adjust to the change. People with money stop spending like madmen, commodities get cheaper depending on supply/demand, and those with land must focus on keeping it, clearing the way for those who want it (and have the capital to buy it, because they are not under any existing tax burdens) to get their shot.

There's little the Devs can do in persistence to force economic changes w/o playing with the availability of capital. Buckle up, folks. Like the RW economy, there's going to be a lot of ups and downs. Also, learn from what just happened. When money is cheap, save it for days when it isn't. That's what the wealthy do in real life, and its how they stay liquid.

:cool:

20. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Severely dating myself here, but the last line reminded me of the old commercial, "How do you think I got so rich!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.