Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

It seems a magical build is difficult

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Jhorus, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

I usually go full-magic builds, and this time is no exception, but it seems like I'm getting my ass kicked. I don't know if it's just me sucking at combat, or what, but last build I seemed to do OK (like in Owl's Nest for instance, I could solo 2-3 of the red-sash people, but this time I can't even get past the spiders w/out dying.

Any tips/hints would be appreciated, or should I go a weapon/armor build until I level up?

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, it seems pretty hard to make an effective magic build at such a low level. (I was even getting killed by those pathetic Red Sash bandits too with a pure magic build :eek:) I found it really necessary to rely on weapons and armor until I leveled up a couple of times and got a decent number of skill points to spend on the magic skill trees...

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I'm getting killed by everything whether weapons or spells - no doubt I've gone to more difficult areas or something - usually I last 3 hits on me.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is a pretty big problem...how can you solo as a Mage then?

Jatvardur, Time Lord, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  5. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I've just made it to level 15 on a full mage character, the early levels are on the tough side (but not impossible).

Once you gain a few levels and have access to life magic and some form of combat magic, you'll be much better off. You'll have to be mobile, standing still is a death sentence for squishy characters in light armor!

It seems like damage against players have been increased across the board, or armor values have been correctly balanced for light armor users.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I see no debuffs at all for running around, wasn't that supposed to be in? Or is it in but not visible?

Time Lord and Sunswords like this.
  7. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Off-hand, I don't seem to see any penalties either :eek: I'll probably check damage output later and see if that was affected.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Borbi01

Borbi01 Avatar

Same here, playes as a "full-mage" and got killed so damn easily! :(

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just was wondering if something changed or if I totally suck :)

I'm familiar with the "old" way of things, (like in AD&D) where a low level mage was pretty weak, but upper level mages did all kinds of horrible things to opponents. :)

Time Lord and Net like this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

They made it sound like it would affect everyone. But the instructions or knownissues states that only archers are affected.

Time Lord and Net like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Pure Mage builds have always been tough when compared to the other combat styles. Starting out as a Mage in this release can be tough until you get higher up. Note that you can't just go out and kill the normal stuff, find stuff your level to kill. Best bet is SolaceBridge,since it's supposed to be the starting area. Not sure why they start you out in Breamar still. I would have thought that a better place would have been there anyway.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Solace Bridge seems like it doesn't have anything in it to kill. Am I in the wrong area? I just am in the PVP area, but is this not what your'e talking about?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Once you exit the lunar rift, head towards the bridge. Instead of crossing the bridge, head left to the ruins where a whole bunch of skeletons are hanging out (just like you encountered at the ruins at Ravensmoor before you head down the path to the beach o_O). Be careful to tackle only one at a time if you're solo. (If they double or triple team you, you will die really quickly...:eek:) Also, lots of grey wolves and giant spiders wandering around in the area if you're looking for easier prey...

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Well if there's supposed to be skeletons, I sure as heck don't see any. I went to the area I think you're talking about... like a destroyed building (with some steps that go down to some unopenable doors?) but no skellies or wolves, etc. I did find a few corpses on the bridge (went exploring since I couldn't find the skellies) that had a little bit of gold on them, but that's about it. :( There is a huge fire on another building, but I assume I can't go into there w/out getting damaged.

Am I in the totally wrong area, or is this it?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Gabriel Nightshadow

No, do not go through the lunar rift during The Battle of Solace Bridge (when everything is on fire) :eek: Go through the lunar rift when it simply says Solace Bridge (when it is in its normal state and the Tour Guide is standing near the rift when you first step through ;)) You found the correct location :D You must wait for the proper time of the day in Owls Head to pass through the lunar rift...

Time Lord, Margard and smack like this.
  16. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

ugh, I feel so stupid. :confused: *sigh*

Time Lord and Katrina like this.
  17. Gabriel Nightshadow

Don't feel so bad, Lord Jhorus! I made that mistake the first time, too :D

Time Lord likes this.
  18. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

So I went mage build. The trick I found was to get some light armour early on and rely on both being able to make the odd strike as well as using your magic. The other thing was to keep moving and run passes on the MOBs...this seemed to work really well with the bandits in the Owl's Nest. I managed to amass enough spoils to get my 6000 gold plot in about an hour. I found I could take two bandits simultaneously pretty easily using this method. Also there is some half way decent armour in the Owl's Nest, you can wear almost all of it and not fizzle too much.

DF.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Good advice about movement o_O My problem is I have gotten so used to spending most of my time standing there either casting spells or whacking away at my opponents with a sword :p Not a problem at higher levels, but at level 5 quite fatal...:eek:

Time Lord and prospereau like this.
  20. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Yeah I finally made it to the *correct* Solace Bridge, and I found I have to run around like a chicken with my head cut off letting my wand do most of the work :( Occasionally I can get a fire or obsidian arrow and maybe a heal, and then back to running like a coward :(

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.