Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

It seems a magical build is difficult

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Jhorus, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, those skeletons are brutal when you're at low level- but well worth the loot and experience ;)

Sunswords and Time Lord like this.
  2. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Yeah...standing still isn't a good survival strategy at low level in SotA o_O:D. If you simply run back and forth letting them chase you and loosing the odd spell you'll find that you'll hit with your sword pretty frequently and the MOBs miss with pleasing regularity. I'm guessing that sadly there will come a point at which someone improves the AI enough so that I get my bum handed to me on a plate when I try this but it works pretty well at the moment.

DF.

3. Net

Net Avatar

Use cloth!
    Keep moving!
    Invest points into Life (Helaing touch is great), Focus and Light Armor (and Tactics).
    I also prefer bit of Fire magic and Death magic, but you can use any to deal damage.

It is hard on low levels because you start with little health and focus. Focus regenerates in battle, health does not, so healing spells are quite important.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

The very little amount of focus at low levels is crippling for pure mages or hybrid characters :( Locked combat bar drains way too much focus (even after investing points in focus tree skill to reduce the cost o_O) and regular combat bar has too many slugs (i.e., because you don't have enough skill points to come up with a full 20 glyph deck :eek:)

Taking forever to level up ( went up two levels in two hours last night...) At this pace, I wonder if I will be ready for the Bear Tavern Brawl on Sunday :(

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

You need only 5 glyphs at low level I think (5 till level 10, 10 glyphs till level 15, 15 till level 20, 20 till 25???) And you should not use locked glyphs if yo uare mage, they cost too much focus. Always random (with few exceptions for low cost spells that you always need ready).

PS: To levelup I think it is best to kill Kobold mages at Clink, they are not as strong as they seem as with heals in your deck you should survive long enough to be able to kill them. Once you get better you can try attacking Chest mimics, as long as you keep your distance you can cast fire arrows and run around.

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I found that the AI would make certain mobs (bears in the swamp and skeletons at Obsidian Keep) chase you but then give up and reverse course at a certain, constant boundary. So I would pummel them with spells and retreat. They'd go after me but stop at the same place every time, turn around and head back to their original position. It made it easy to kill these creatures but it became monotonous because the AI was so predictable.

Time Lord and Sunswords like this.
  7. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

I was able to tweak my deck a bit so while it was hard at first, I was able to kite some wolves. Then after a couple levels it would be a little easier, etc. :) It was fun and challenging after reading hints/tips from you guys. I like how levels aren't quite the same as in other games. In other games, you can solo starting things (if you come back as upper levels) naked if you want. In this game if you're naked with the wrong deck, things can quickly not go your way fast. :)

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  8. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Athanil and I just discovered that if you equip a wand / staff / bow, your fizzle rate drops. You can view this by hitting the "V" key. When you move around, your fizzle rate jumps up very high, and your attack skill drops. In this case:
    • Fizzle Rate (Stationary to Moving): -8 to 22
    • Attack Rate (As above): 55.2 to 36.8
    I guess it varies from player to player.

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

So I guess they were able to implement that feature in this release after all ;) Time to change my strategy :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

So the trick is, to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off and spit like a spider... "got it!" ...
    You're always my hero ~prospereau~ Thanks ;)!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Why go for strategy when a bit of good old fashioned panicking will work just as well....cluck cluck bwachkk. :D

Glad I could be of service TL. :)

DF.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

According to the update notes, the game is balanced to be easiest in the area around Braemar, and get harder the further away you go. Other areas (like Solace Bridge I assume) aren't balanced yet. I found a good place to go with a mage to start is Dragon's Cave just around the corner from Braemar, the little lizards in there give good experience and you don't need to keep running around. Just make sure you put some points into increasing your health, some focus and speeding up your cards. And it's good to have a healing glyph in your deck in case they are doing too much damage (and you get lucky with the healing card coming up when you need it).

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.