It took me 30 seconds to stop to think for a moment about how deck combat might work.

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by prospereau, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

Huzah! well said!

prospereau likes this.
  2. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

You know, too be fair to the OP, when anyone mentions anything to do with cards in a video game I do panic a bit too.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I've been playing a kid's MMO with my daughter as of late, Wizard 101. It seems to operate off the type of system I've seen described in SotA.

You have a full deck of abilities and spells you know. As combat starts, a few of these cards randomly are pulled out and you choose between them. Combat is dynamic. The problem I've seen with this in Wizard 101 is that combat is already really slow and a chore. My daughter and I both loathe it and spend the whole time trying to avoid it as much as possible because the mechanic is anything but fun.

I don't mind if someone expresses concern or criticism in the forum. The point is to end up with the best possible game.

That being said, I'm trying to keep an open mind and waiting to see combat in R4 before I really make any judgement.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Dammit man! Stand up straight and stop blubbing....you'll take your cards and you'll like them.

Now drop and give me 20!! o_O

DF.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Wizard 101 is a turn based card game.
    SotA is neither of those. It's just described that way by people don't know what they're talking about, or people who don't want anything to be random.

prospereau, NRaas and Time Lord like this.
  6. enderandrew

The descriptions I've read of SotA's combat system sure makes it sound like a turn based card game.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sir Frank

Well, it's not. Combat will be going on as fast as you can get spells off or swing your sword. Meanwhile, runes that offer boosts or combination moves will be flowing in and out.
    You may not even have to use the runes for most combat. You might just touch them on high end battles.
    They call it plate spinning. You'll have to be able to pay attention to a couple of things at once. You'll have to divide your attention between the combat and the runes to make yourself most effective.

It's not turn based, and it's not a card game. People just call it that, because they haven't been paying attention. And a few people are spreading misinformation to try to eliminate the randomness they've decided they don't like, even though they haven't tried it.

We'll see in March.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

After researching a bit I have drawn a new conclusion.

The combat seems to be point click and wait for animation to swing the weapon, maybe alongside a few "special" attacks. But no hand eye coordination will be involved.
    The spell system seems a bit like darkfall but probably more lenient and tab targetting like where you cast and have a giant circle to put on the area you would like targeted.

I hope they develop something better than this, because this would just be a disappointment.

9. Sir Frank

This description is pretty much what we saw in early testing. Closer to "click on the monster until it dies". But that was the place-holder until they get the real system figured out.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. enderandrew

RG has called it a card game with a deck repeatedly, and he is only the lead designer of the game. Now suddenly it is being spun into something else. If you have cards coming out of a deck to play, that is a card game mechanic. Claiming otherwise is just playing a semantic game.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  11. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

It *is* a card game mechanic! That doesn't stop it from being dynamic though. Card game doesn't necessarily mean turn based.

DF.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

This deck thing is both interesting and strange to me, these cards sound like magic scrolls, some being one time use, some being permanent, some saved for later, some useless without a full deck, some ultra collectible thus valuable and a currency of their own, some used to increase in skill etc. If this is the case and it's just speculation as I've never played a virtual RPG with a deck system it gives a new dynamic to cards "magic scrolls" or "spells", perhaps even "skills"? I know cards aren't magic scrolls but this is the best way I can relate to their existence in a virtual RPG.

Wizard101, I've never played this game in my life, I've only seen commercials for it on tv and banner ads on the internet, but somehow perhaps subconsciously my mind randomly decided to google 'wizard 101 deck', and this was the first result...

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?15961-All-Wizard101-Decks

Is this the game SOTA will compete with? Like I said I've never played or even seen this game in person other than in a commercial 1 second before I changed the channel, but something caused me to google it and now I'm questioning whether it has something to do with the deck system in SOTA.

Has anyone ever played Wizard101? All I know is it's a little kids game with decks. Has anyone played a virtual RPG with decks? What are your thoughts on this? I really don't want to check this Wizard101 game out, really don't want to play it as I would consider it a corruption of some sort as I don't like to play inferior games even for a second but I may have to investigate if no one knows about it. If I do play, which I'd rather not I'll see how their deck system works and see if they have any breakable barrels.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

No one, not the PvPer or the PvEer, wants to play an MMORPG where luck is the foremost defining characteristic - especially when determination of said "luck" is based on a random number generator (RNG )*. Eliminate skill from the game and you eliminate both the PvPers and the PvE Raiders.

I certainly expect a fair amount of RNG to determine the to-hits, criticals, failures, damage, resists, etc. However, to imply that even the next available skill will be randomly chosen ( luck ) makes no sense in this setting. I believe this to be the major crux of all current fears, uncertainties, and doubts ( FUD ) . Unfortunately, we haven't been given enough intel on this yet. Thus, 1 year later, the FUD remains. The R5-R7 alphas will hopefully be very telling.

*Ok, to all the language lawyers: First, I apologize that, technically, it's pseudo-random number generator ( PRNG), but not everyone is a software engineer. Second, I apologize for the extreme generalization: Only 2 people on this planet would play that game on a consistent basis. Better?

14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Awesome thread!

I'm exited the most about the possibility of changing my character on the fly.

It will free up a lot of time arguing about balance. Players will be more honest about balance if there is no time loss involved with rebuilding a character. Knowing that my character development is not going to become a colossal waste of time, because I didn't spend enough time complaining to the developers about how overpowered every other character is... is a huge relief.

I think this will really open the game up to CREATING a wide range of characters and help eliminate the "cut and paste" school of gaming.

15. enderandrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.