It took me 30 seconds to stop to think for a moment about how deck combat might work.

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by prospereau, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

No, not nice, but at least a little bit comical which is more than can be said for the poster of the other thread who deliberately trashed a game because he hadn't stopped to think for...oh...I don't know....about 30 seconds.

There is no onus on us to treat malicious ignorance patiently or even....nicely.

DF.

2. eon

eon Avatar

It was kinda rough tbh lol, but I like rude people atleast you can see their actions comming from a long-range distance and they will always tell you what they think with no censorship or filter, if all people was like that everything would be much simpler lol

3. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

True, but I gave up my taste for such luxury a long time ago. ;)

DF.

4. eon

eon Avatar

But this is the interwebs! :p

[​IMG]

acrylic_300 and majoria70 like this.
  5. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

Yeah lets limit a gorgeous, persistant, diverse and 3 dimensional world into a bunch of cards.

-having skills leads to a very reliable and flexible system that gives people the freedom to build there char how they want
    -Having special skills drives exploration and character interaction because everyone tries to find that one mentor that can teach them that skill! (i left to beat all skills, because thats insane and is obv op)
    -you could encourage guilds to do hidden quest to gain certain skills that they could teach other guild mates leading to more meaningful ****.
    -Skill training delievers a rather nice "Jedi Master" mechanic. I always liked blah blah other games blah blah blah blah blah
    -It appeals to all of us that have hand eye coordination and feel silly not using it when we swing a sword, or cast a spell or do anything combat related where there are no breaks and you must think fast.
    -Having a skills progression tagged with your character eliminates the need for complex 1,000 card yu gi oh decks.

Did you see what I did there?

6. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Nope..missed it completely. Were you trying to make a point?

The cards are just a game mechanic. They don't limit the game any more than having a straight skill based system does...

The sad bit of this is that if they hadn't mentioned "cards" at all and just called them "collectable skills" you'd probably have been ecstatic.

See what I did there? No? Oh well.

DF.

7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Call 'em Runes (and no reason not to be those anyway). Sigils, Lorestones, Blackrock (heh), Scrolls, Bindings, Arcana, Discs, Secrets, Plates, Ether, Glyphs, Fragments, or hell, call em Magic Power-Ups. ;)

There's plenty enough ways to make the system work without having to worry about it being a TCG thing. :D

prospereau likes this.
  8. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

Will combat ever be paused.

9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

My guess would be no given the general playstyle of MMOs for PvP, but again, this is all guesswork and speculation until we actually see ANY of the combat system, hopefully by the next release.

I'm not saying it's sure to be smoking awesome out the door (maybe, maybe not ;), but it's still WAY too early to throw up hands and quit before we've even had a chance to same what exactly they're talking about. Patience, my friend. :D

prospereau and Kaisa like this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think it might add an interesting angle to dueling if the loser of the duel would lose a random card to the winner....

It would also be a good deterrent if Player Killer characters lost a random card when they got caught or if they were killed prior to the hypothetical timer running out on their killer status. It could be a major set back or just a minor inconvenience....

I can see some good opportunities for risk and reward in this card system. These sound like a really important item that would be way more valuable than in game gold or lots of items.

I don't know how it's going to work yet, but I am more interested than ever!

"The cards, the cards, the cards can tell the past, the present and the future as well!"

"You've got to know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; know when to walk away; know when to run."

acrylic_300 likes this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I would expect losing a slot or two would be also be an intriguing punishment (at least temporarily until they redeemed themselves in some way).

12. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

I'd be amazed if they pause combat to "play" a card. There are good reasons you might do that on a mobile platform but not on a PC platform.

I think portalarium are probably very aware that you can't disrupt game flow like that.

DF.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

How would one pause during multiplayer combat anyways ? Is there a precedent for such ? I am unfamiliar with most modern MMO games.

Having it pausable for offline combat sure, but having two different methods for online/offline would be confusing for some I suspect. :)

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I am wary of deck based combat, but trying to keep an open mind.

Ned888 likes this.
  15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The only online game I have ever played that was turn based is Atlantica...It was reasonably fun...but different. When you got into a battle it would take you into a combat scene. You had a party of like 6 people and you would control each person...(kind of like the old Goldbox games)...

I played it for about 4 months...supposedly housing in there too, but must be really high levels because I never saw it :)

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Ah, I get it. You would be taken out of the regular game and placed into some sort of controlled environment where the flow of time could be altered without outside interference.

Interesting concept.

What did other people outside of combat see in that case ? Did your party vanish from the game-space for the duration of the battle ? Or did you simply stop moving for a time until the battle ended ?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It was just like normal walking around outside of the combat instance. You could literally avoid all battles because the only way to enter combat was to move into a creature on screen. Like you would see a mob avatar, and once you clicked on it, combat would begin. The only catch was, sometimes other mobs could wonder into your combat scene...sometimes things got pretty hairy because all of the sudden you had double or triple the amount of mobs to kill :)...

I have always liked turned based combat when I had a party to control because it led to some interesting strategy play. I really enjoy the looks of what they have planned for our combat here...and fully expect the ability to completely customize my combat before combat. I'm dying to see r4 really :)

18. Espada

Espada Avatar

OK, that's enough....

Lets be a little bit more positive about this topic in particular.. I barely post on the boards but I read almost every thread and I think this one is one worth posting about.

Aren't you guys tired of the same mechanics, game after game, pertaining combat (let me roll my face on the keyboard so I can win)? Yes, I have played an exhausting amount of pvp games (being very successful at them), mostly medieval or fantasy in nature (as well as fps), and I have to say that we need to refresh the monotonous trend that has clouded our brains since the early 2000's or earlier.. I think we got an exceptional team that has the potential to revolutionize the combat system with the idea of a "deck like system."

The way I think about this combat system is that one will still engage combat in real time (not turn based... of course), but instead of having abilities assigned to the same keys "1" thru "0" or "a" thru "z," (with the exception of the start skills - skills you have selected to begin with) once an ability is used (spell, special melee attack, whatever you name it), it will draw the same skill/spell (if one has selected it more than once - like cards) or another from your pool (deck), after the cool down is over. The pool (deck) will be supplied from the skills you have decided to spent points on (be it the schools of magic, chaos included, or melee/armor skills). That's my understanding of the card/deck like system... Is not that you are playing cards.. It's not that you have to play turn based... It's a system change that will include yet another variable (much more powerful than others seeing before) that will play as a "wild" card in the equation of probability towards the outcome of battle - be it the victory or defeat of your avatar.

If you think about it, this will open the door for so"much chaotic fun" that will make combat somewhat unpredictable - or at least, more unpredictable than it currently is as this variable puts the availability of skills out of your control to an extent (like a card game).. At one point one could be about to die, and all the sudden, the right abilities pop after your cool down is up from a previous used skill/spell and BAM! Game changer! All of the sudden you had a healing spell available at 1 hp, which you were able to cast, and you were able to heal and defeat your foe.. Or.. your foe had the right spell to finish you off before you could get a skill/spell to finish him/her first. Luck will play a huge role in this system but also it will make combat SOOOO unpredictable, which might make it extremely addicting.. Yes.. even more than it already is (talking about pvp as an addicting mechanic/system)... Why? Because that's exactly the foundation of why pvp is so enjoyable... What makes pvp so great (among the many features it has and offers) is that you expect the encounter to be challenging and different (even just a bit) every time you fight someone. If pvp fails at doing this in a game, trust me, it will become boring fast.. The variability of skills selection, tactics, personal reflexes, strategy, surprise, among many other factors that contribute towards making pvp an exciting mechanic to experience, is why I love to pvp (in fact, I mostly play to pvp... but I also like other aspects of the game that I look forward seeing in SotA). And yes, I personally can't say the same about most pve experiences I have had... like WOW raids x 1 million... Yes.. I am using WoW's pve as an example because pve in the Ultima games were extremely fun.. I can't bash those memories.

Oh yeah.. I did raid in WoW too and it was somewhat fun in beginning.. But once we knew the encounter and it was on "farm" mode, after the 3rd time of raiding it, I wanted to shoot myself.. The amount of boredom and mind fun destruction was beyond comprehension. I even know of a few people back then who fell asleep while performing these "epic" raids.. And yes.. some of them were pretty epic.. but just at the beginning when you were trying to figure out the mechanics... Once they were mastered and repetition began.. OMG.. I will stop there.

Anyways, the system is not out yet, so give it a chance.. I personally feel great about being among the first to try such a system, which might, believe it or not, have the potential to change the way combat currently is for future games.. So, don't be surprised if this proposed "deck "combat system does the same UO did back in 1997...

At times, change can be a very good thing... We are just a species that doesn't tend to like "change"... at least initially..

Milzer78, Dhimmi, smack and 5 others like this.
  19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

As I said in another thread, any other synonym would have been a better choice. I'm just chalking it up DS' excitement for the moment, as the guy does develop some cool stuff. ;)

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

People who call it a card game or turn based haven't been paying attention.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.