Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Item limit for housing

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Gaelis, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

As member of 4B we always test the limits. ;)
    Some may say mazes are not a good example to speak about more Items on a lot, so this release I had the chance to decorate a Dukes Keep in Ardoris.
    With all decoration so far I reached nearly the limit (170 Items to place left) and there is a lot of space for more in the keep to make it a nice place to live.
    So I think it needs a higher Item limit for houses, we will get more and more Items we like to place while playing
    Ep1. :)

Sophi, Net, Duke Albert and 8 others like this.
  2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

And that was without a basement too (right?).

Net and Gaelis like this.
  3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Womby and I created a bookstore in a village home on a town lot in Owl's Head. We got to within 60 of the limit. (All those books!)

We still had a lot of space to decorate upstairs, and although the first floor was full, it was what you'd expect for a shop. We will be uploading pics soon.

Therefore, I would agree the item limit is going to be on the confining side. However, it's in place for performance reasons of course, so it's going to have to be a balance.

One of the things for us that could have helped is to have book stacks, or a shelf already stacked with books available (there were some of these around, just not able to be acquired). I think they could be creative with combo sets of items that make a place look fuller.

Sunswords, smack and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Can you guys post what the actually limits currently are for each home level? I have no idea.

5. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Darkstarr postet ( R9 Instructions):
    • Exterior Limits: Each lot size has a limit of how many exterior items it can support. This number will include any items placed on the exteriors of structures including balconies, roofs, exterior facing walls, etc. This is a fixed number per lot type. Lights have an independent limit since they are so costly.
      • Row: 5 objects + 1 Light
      • Village: 400 objects + 6 Lights
      • Town: 700 objects + 8 Lights
      • City: 1000 objects + 12 Lights
      • Keep: 1400 objects + 16 Lights
      • Castle: 2000 objects + 20 Lights
    • Interior Limits: Each house has a number of interior items
      • Row: 350 objects + 6 Lights per floor
      • Village: 400 objects + 10 Lights per floor
      • Town: 1000 objects + 16 Lights per floor
      • City: 2000 objects + 30 Lights per floor

Net, Arianna, Jatvardur and 3 others like this.
  6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Wow that is really bad news considering that the keep basement if they decide to make one will be ginormous...

7. Drocis the Devious

Why is that bad news? It seems like a reasonable limitation to me. What am I missing?

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Basements are a separate scene so there is a little bit of freedom regarding item limits. However, the challenge dungeon was also a seperate scene but a small percentage of the people had time out issues when it was loading due to the number of items it contained. Item limits might be higher but there still seems to be a limit based on the current state of tech being employed.

9. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

My wife loves to decorate, once the item limit is up so is her fun. Is it reasonable to have a limit? yes. Do I think the limit should be raised a tad to accommodate for these gigantic basements yes.

Baron for the first time in three years my wife took a liking to doing something in a vid game with me. She ordered me to go farm more gold so she could decorate. I sat at the control point for 3 hours hoarding everything in sight to get her some gold for decorations. She also picked the Dukes keep above all other housing.
    My little Duchess was having a blast. I can not wait for release so she can really help out with decorations. I can only pray that they make Serenite next release so I can put up the keep so she can have at it!

10. Drocis the Devious

That's great!

But a keep has at least 2000 items it can have inside of it. Once you decorate a room, you're not going to put more stuff over top of the stuff you have in there right? I mean, I guess the decorating would be finite in some ways unless you're planning to constantly be in a state of decoration.

11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Basements are not publicly viewable by every passerby so the limit there only affects you so it may be substantially higher.

12. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If you read OP (love being contentious ;-) ) then you will see that the limit was almost reached, but decoration wasn't actually complete. Some areas looked bare (I visited it)

The limits are likely theoretical rather than actual. So perhaps it could be worse in practise?

The suggestion above of having (say) shelves populated with books then item count can be kept down without losing aesthetics. Even once a place is "finished", you will still get more loot so really decorating is never done.

13. Drocis the Devious

That's not decorating, it's hoarding. There's a significant difference.

Zantul likes this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Tomaytoes. Tomahtoes.

Still counts towards item limit.

Edit:
    E.g. mounting swords that were quest rewards or w/e. Loot and decoration. RG would agree. ;-)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Right Jatvardur, I'm not trying to play semantics though. Hoarding is a real issue and it's not something that the devs are trying to support in any way. If you want to decorate in your home, that's great. But if you have a fully decorated home and now you're trying to stuff things into a storage area, that's not. It's bad for the economy, and it's bad for the game on a technical level. That's why the item limits were created.

You guys make a great suggestion about smaller items though. Books are a great example. I could see someone hitting their item limit fairly quickly if they were creating a robust library. :)

16. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Sure. But the OP decorated a keep and it didn't look finished. Also a fundamental issue to address.

Edit:
    And this is only pre alpha. What happens at the end of ep1 nevermind ep5.

But there might be solutions.

Larger rugs. Like muuuuch larger.
    Perhaps a table and set of chairs can be one item when in inactive mode, but then in a temporary active mode it becomes (say) 12 + 1.
    Bookcases can be prepopulated as one item.
    Set pieces : as above, many items as one.

Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Sophi likes this.
  17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Iirc, the item limit was for load considerations not hoarding. But nice try.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Do exterior/interior objects include stuff stored in chests, closed cabinets etc? If so, I have also the feeling, the amount is a little bit low.
    If no, I think the numbers could be high enough, especially, since there are still basements.
    And maybe, like in Ultima Online, we will be able to purchase storage upgrades for existing homes.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Hoarders don't decorate, they just throw stuff around. I think the limits are too low, but it's a tough problem to solve for the devs. And "clustered" objects causes design issues too if each can't be individually interactive. We need to maintain that vision but then that just gets back to limits again if the performance issue can't be solved.

20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

No, however. Cabinets are not containers, only chests, bags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.