Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ravalox has to wait until all the design of the scene is finished, before making a map. Otherwise he then waists his time making several maps which currently takes him a long time to do (and also do some editing in Photoshop).

Cordelayne and vulcanjedi like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Derp, I missed this was QA.

Hasn't it been hit or miss, though? I don't recall Aldur or the Panopticon having maps. At least, not when the scenes went in. I haven't been to either scene in a while. However, Spindelskog and Tanglemire did have maps right away. I think. I do know for certain at least two or three times since the new map making process was created, I've gone into a brand new scene, and was disappointed there was no map when it went live.
    I understand that. It doesn't mean that it can't be part of the processes that occur before a scene goes live.

When I submit files to Production at work, I need to include drawings and notes detailing any additional functionality the product will have. This needs to happen after the final files are finished and approved. That doesn't mean I send the files and notify all relevant personnel, then send the drawings a week (or month or year) after. The drawings are a part of the process that occurs after file approval but before being given over to Production. Making maps for scenes should be in a similar spot- when the scene is "ready" to go live, then a map should be made before that happens. If that means a scene comes out a release later, then so be it. Though, again, as part of the process of making a scene, everybody should be aware that "ready for mapping" needs to occur x days prior to a release in order to get the map made if it's going to go into a specific release.

All that said, as I noted above, I didn't see this was referring to QA.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@Sannio
    The long trek across Jotengrund.....

I am one of those players who usually travels by running across the overworld rather than by teleporting everywhere (for whatever reason, I like experiencing the SOTA overworld rather than just the zones). Despite my preference for traveling without teleporting and despite the fact that I really like the desolate feeling of this zone, trekking across Jotengrund can be rather arduous.

I am not sure what is planned for this zone, but I have a couple thoughts regarding methods to reduce the hugely long trek times. Maybe consider one or more of the following:
    1) Have the ability to choose from 3 or 4 arrival points when you enter the zone, e.g. Base camp/Frozen Ship (default), Crevasse, East Ice Field (where boss ice elementals are).
    2) Have 3 or 4 rapid transport teleporters (instead of teleport signs or teleport pads, how about a teleport dog-sled?). Clicking on the sleds would wisk you away to a location near the points of interest. You could require the player to complete a quest to access these sleds (maybe you need to get something for the Animal Trainer NPC near the dog pen, and he teaches you to mush, which allows you to use the dog sleds to teleport across the zone).
    3) Have a strip of prevailing winds that circle the zone (like a jet stream)...if you travel in the direction of the wind, you travel way faster (whether on a mount or on foot, kinda like sliding on the ice). This concept would work well with the ice tornadoes, since the tornadoes are generated by air currents.

Oh, one other thing....many of the rocks on the tall mountain are still not-solid, so I could not climb to the top...I was planning on having a picnic up there! :p

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  4. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I quite like the dogsled idea, similar to the teleporting mages in control points. Hmm, I wonder how common Elemental Ice will become, perhaps that would be their price? Though personally I'm fine with trekking across the ice and snow

Overall I'm still very much enjoying the zone, and getting increasingly excited to see the giants in full fighting form. I wonder if more mount arties or increased mount artifact power/imbued gems could also tie in nicely with the size of the map. Riding across the tundra and even rounding up herds of wolves is rather fun on horseback.

Anpu and Rinaldi like this.
  5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Rinaldi , thanks for the suggestions! Travis/List Rostov is in charge of most elements of this scene, so I'm passing your suggestions off to him. Issue #69565

Rinaldi, Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
  6. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

The giant battle combat feels like it finally works! I can hit him and he can hit me now, so YAY! However- The cylinder of clouds surrounding the battle now spins really really quickly. So after a bit I became dizzy. I'm sure I wont be the only one to be bothered by this effect. Maybe slow them back down? Or a different more transparent effect?

Anpu and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  7. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Travis has been working in the VFX and keeps going back to refine them. Hopefully the final version works well for everyone.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Consider my words fully eaten, digested, and currently making their way through the Minneapolis sewer system.

Elgarion likes this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Good thing you didnt log in on release, the map had to be patched in :eek::p

Anpu and Elgarion like this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, I was just looking at the notes. Though, being in the first patch is acceptable. ;)

Elgarion and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.