Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping is...

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by mass, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

Better! But still a little glitchy. I occasionally get a little lag between key press and jump while running. I also still get an inability to jump when running into an object (like a small ledge by my feet). But it is easier to eventually jump these small ledges (like 2 or 3 tries) compared to how it was with charged jump. Hopefully the devs will continue to look at this and refine it a bit more.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Did they turn the new jump on by default or do you have to go choose it?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

You have to uncheck charged jump.

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

you need to disable charged jump... :)

5. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Er, really? The release instructions say, as a footnote to the new jumping:

For those who were accustomed to the old method we have preserved that as an option in the Options menu.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Fantastic.

Put on the Ring of the Cuttlekin and really feel the power! (and bug fix Easter Egg, enjoy the new look!)

It is soooooooo much better to jump when I push the button. If I want to go up a mountain, I go up. No longer do I go up, wait a moment, go up, wait a moment, go up, wait a moment.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This whole jumping topic... it's making me laugh tears. I am sorry, but in my opinion this topic is the best example for the downside of open development. A non issue gets totally blown out of proportion and people party when it gets "fixed".

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I guess if "new players quit the game because of it" is a non-issue, then I have to wonder what a real issue is?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

10. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

This was true in 763. In 764, "use charged jump" is unchecked by default.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes, yes i know the devs picked up this line.
    Made me lol even harder to be honest.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've seen it in peoples videos and reviews. The old way was non-intuitive enough to get people cursing.

It might seem funny but when your game doesn't respond to button press, it turns out it's a bad thing.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Vlad, with all due respect, but the game has different, much more important issues. I am willing to concede that the jumping stuff might have been the last ditch for some people. But nobody, ever, in the history of gaming (that doesn't include jump&runs), quitted a game just because of jumping.

What i want to point out, in all seriousness, is that there are different things that need a fix and doing a big cheer about this jumping stuff feels like a bad joke compared to the not squashable health bug that is still there e.g.

Maybe i should be more thankful for the little things but 1.) i am just not. 2.) i never had issues with the jumping the way it was.

14. mass

mass Avatar

Don't mean to beat this to death, but since I created the thread I'll give my 2 cents: Yes, jumping is not the most important issue in the game. I didn't feel like this thread was either dramatic or celebratory. I've always felt like the jump mechanic was part of a 'somewhat wonky' control scheme...wonky enough that it's caused me to die occasionally throughout my play. Anything that causes you to die nonsensically can be frustrating. The main purpose of this thread is that while the change was an improvement, I still think there are a few issues that make it wonky (e.g. a tiny ledge at your feet preventing you from jumping). It would be nice if they could work that out at some point. Certainly there are bigger fish to fry.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ah, that wasn't aimed at you, sorry if it came across like that.
    Just saw a couple of the jumping posts during the last couple of weeks and this topic here was my first chance after the patch to drop my opinion.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and mass like this.
  16. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

Love threads like this. Makes me smile. Here is my weird lil thing that bugs me. Since the patch my character now MARCHES, like high stepping march when i target a gathering node and E on it....Feels like a sarcastic YESSIR!!! to my clicking on the node and saying harvest this!

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's in the "Known Issues" of the latest patch. It appears we will have some progress on Toe Glue after all!

Also, I've been getting a lot of "bouncing down the mountain" effect. Basically when going downhill, sometimes I get a bit of air, then bounce bounce bounce down for a while.

Elwyn and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  18. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I just tried new jumping. I never disliked old jumping, but MAN the new jumping feels amazing!

The only bit of feedback I have is that sometimes it's completely unresponsive, usually after several consecutive jumps. I think the jump animation actually lasts a bit longer than what it appears, so that even though it looks like the first jump has well and truly ended, it actually hasn't as far as the game is concerned.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  19. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

lol. I'm just glad they left the option to jump as I always have in this game. Too old to learn silly new way to jump. Whew! Don't have to relearn how to walk, either. :)

Sentinel2 and Tamsen like this.
  20. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I prefer the 'old' (legacy) jumping. I hated it for ages, spent hours practising, had it hampering quest completion, etc, etc. I sort of got it mastered, grudgingly used it, jumped :) at the new option. Hated it, switched back to the precise control and natural feel of the legacy jump.

Hazard and Tamsen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.