Killing non-fantasy creatures

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Sunsanvil, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Just wondering if there has been any talk of wether quests (and/or crafting) will require killing non-fantasy creatures (bears, wolves, etc) or if one can chose to skirt that practice?

2. Robby

Robby Avatar

There ought to be hunting as a trade skill, I beleive. Something thats not effect vs. zombies, skeletons, liches, dragons, but very effective in sniping out bears and wolves and deer from a distance for resources such as leather. Or bear skin rugs and stuff. Maybe even raccoon hats. I think it'd be nice to go out in the woods, switch the view to first person and aim/zoom in on a wolf or bear. Or have the ability to do something similar to "quickdraw" from red dead redemption. Or was it deadeye? Depends on wether your talking about gun or red dead redemption. And instead of a revolver you'll be using a bow or x-bow. Better yet... an xxxbow(triple crossbow).

Lorimus likes this.
  3. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

This is good info and worth thinking about developers.. Nothing like getting your skines from a real mc coy hunter.

4. Schwerganoik

Schwerganoik Avatar

All that I've heard from Richard Gariot interviews is a disdain towards quests which are simply "kill W amounts of Creature X and harvest Y amounts of Z from them," so I doubt that any of the storyline quests will be simple wolf-killing. Come to think of it, I doubt that any of the quest will be just kill W amount of X.

5. monxter

monxter Avatar

Heya, been trying to promote a bit more realistic hunting in SoTA... Here's something I wrote ages ago.
    https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-more-realistic-hunting.1289/

I've been able to get something through, yet I don't know if these suggestions have a place in SoTA or not.

Sunsanvil likes this.
  6. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Brilliant suggestion. My OP was in the context of quests but this does cross pollinate with the subject of crafting. Call me a wuss, but the sort of indiscriminate wiping out of forest inhabitants which is typical of most games is a big turn off for me, to the point I typically forgo the profession. Making hunting more like....well...hunting as you suggest makes way more sense from an immersion perspective. Instead of people running around in circles waiting for a spawn, wacking it over the head, and repeating to infinity, they'd spend time actually doing something. Compared to what people are used to it would be a paradigm shift in terms of resource value (a single hide, side of venison etc would represent way more value by virtue of the increased time and effort needed to acquire) , but I see that as a good thing. Maybe hides and venison should be hard to get, but correspondingly should go farther too (a single hide should make several leather gauntlets, while a side of venison should last you a week or more (not just a single meal!).

Grayhawk, NirAntae and monxter like this.
  7. monxter

monxter Avatar

I have feeling we may see a change in the quest types here, RG is trying to take the game away from the concepts seen in the current big mmo's. I'd also be surprised to see quests like "kill 10 wolves", "collect 10 rat tails" etc. If there are quests where you end up killing, for example a bear (which should be quite an exploit to do on your on), I'm expecting a good motive to do so.
    However, when following the story or questing, what if you'll bump into a predator that's hunting you? will you try to run away, or fight it? What do the virtues say about that... :)

smack likes this.
  8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

9. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Check out the 6 month progress video. There are wolves and bears being killed as a sort of quest: There are too many occupying highly populated human areas.

It seems to be more of a wildlife management issue as opposed to just slugging away on wildlife for pure joy.

10. Schwerganoik

Schwerganoik Avatar

The wolves and bear were being hunted for pelts and not for as quest. The quest out there was "Satyrs are poaching. Deal with them," but RG hinted that it could be done through roleplaying instead of wanton killing.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I took a look at the video and it looks like you are right, but there was a second bear attack at 20:07. Richard said "Rid the cave of the plague of bear". It could have been a just a joke, but we'll see soon enough.

12. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Well does anyone remember back in the day RG had a sort of ecosystem AI idea but they never got around to doing it. Like lets say you went all willy nilly and started killing all the rabbits and deer in a given area. Prey type animals. Then the carnivorous one would become more aggressive because their food supply was scarce. The chain climbed up to things like dragons and stuff. They'd move into human settlements looking for food.
    I like the prey AI in Oblivion. The deer acted and even moved like real deer.

13. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

They did implement it, but human nature literally killed the whole idea. The programmers spent a great deal of time to code the whole concept and it died just a short time after release. Basically the players went into slaughter mode killing so much that there was nothing left to help spawn quests. There is a video of RG explaining the fiasco; I"ll see if I can find it.

Grayhawk likes this.
  14. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Here is the video were Richard talks about UO's virtual ecology:
    It starts at 00:56 seconds

Grayhawk likes this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

It seems like RG and the team are finding it complicated to work on 2 games at once! Hopefully when i open my new chest i dont find a space ship or laser gun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.