Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] ABC File system disregarding Rests (was "Music Sync is Broken")

Discussion in 'Release 36 Bug Forum' started by illusive_allusion, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illusive_allusion

illusive_allusion Avatar

1. Title: Music Sync is Broken
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%?
    3. Blocker? Yes, prevents in-sync multi-player music playback.
    4. Details: Game appears to be disregarding leading bars of rests (z tag) in abc files. This completely breaks in-sync party playing, as parts with leading rests start too early and not in time with other players. Affects /play and /play sync. Also, /play always truncates the first few notes played and the last few notes played.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: /play any abc file with leading bars of rests. /play sync any multi-part song arrangement whose parts have leading bars of rests.
    6. User Specs: HP Model 500-281, 8G RAM, Intel Core i3 3.4 GHz, Windows 10, GTX 750 Ti.

Soleidad, chuck5086 and Hornpipe like this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Bug submitted. 37419. Thanks!

Soleidad and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

For the few last days, /play didn't truncated the first notes played, but now, I have it again (R37).

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I found that if you put multiple rests at the front of a piece and end a piece with rests you can make sure the truncated parts still play. I was playing around with this and trying to transcribe a basic Star Wars theme into ABC, but it still plays everything weird. The rests, when you use '/' are supposed to cut the predefined note length(L=<length>) in half. But, it seems to be doing something behind the scenes where the rests are longer than I designated, and a lot of times the same rests seem to yield different lengths of rest from one another. Other spots, especially toward the end of a piece, some notes are getting sped up. Anyway, here is what I did to make sure the beginning and end of a piece would be played(each piece is different, so you will have to use different amounts of leading/trailing rests to get it to work.) Hope this helps till the bug is fixed!

X: 1
    T: Star Wars
    Z:
    L: 1/4
    Q: 80
    K: G

z8 z4[E,E]8 [EB]8 | z/4 A/4 _A/4 ^F/2 e B4 | z/4 A/4 _A/4 ^F/2 [EBe] B4 |
    z/4 A/4 _A/2 =A/2 ^F4 | z8 z8

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. illusive_allusion

illusive_allusion Avatar

@Hornpipe @Sorthious Ah, thank you for your observations and replies! I just now noticed them; I simply must check the forum more often.

I noticed @DarkStarr referencing this report in the last Hangout! :)

I assumed that someone else must have already bug-reported the issues I spoke of in my Hangout questions, a naive assumption on my part.

Today, I begin my quest to document and bug-report every unreported instance of unruly behavior from in-game instruments, knowing full well that all abc playback issues may be due to a single bad bit of code. I just hope my quest doesn't give me any negative virtue hits. ;)

A side comment which I believe relevant: My memory is that abc interpretation worked far better in R32 and I could rely on sync to work flawlessly. Since then the situation has become progressively but horridly muddled with each release, it seems. Each pass of improvement possibly introduced new problems, to the point that many in-game bard types to whom I have spoken have given up on barding. Many are waiting for music to work again. If the dev team does not know about all of the issues, this "I'm waiting" approach won't help anyone. :( Those who persist through the trouble must discover what is not working after every release and revise their abc collections to make them playable once more. Sheet music collections simply break and players must replace them or wait until a patch fixes the issue which broke them. Perhaps a detailed examination of the code which worked in comparison to the current version may unveil the problems?

Matt Harris and Hornpipe like this.
  6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

To better help with this I edited the title of this thread as I think it was confusing folks (like me) since sync is not actually broken. The bug is that the system's treatment of rests is broken and yes that breaks the ability to sync but sync itself is not broken.

7. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Ahh, i found a thread on it, I too have noticed these issues with the party playing. Its always slightly off. Think that will get patched up this release?

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

@DarkStarr, is saying that this is not an issue isolated to One-Man band or synced Multi-player music. It's an issue with Rests in general. I'm having this issue with just single instruments. The problem is that if the game is parsing Rests incorrectly, then every piece of music, in a multi-instrument song, will be playing in different Time.

Soleidad and chuck5086 like this.
  9. illusive_allusion

illusive_allusion Avatar

@Sorthious, @DarkStarr I had never considered the possibility that improper parsing of rests might be a global issue, but yes I too have noticed irregularities when playing solo. I had merely chalked it up to lag, possibly. This new angle on the issue might be what's really wrong! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.