Late 90's style website? Revamp desperately needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nezakhan, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nezakhan

Nezakhan Avatar

Title says it all. I'm hoping someone updates the graphics. Even just a little. Very out of date feeling.

Look at this candy! 2Advanced V4
    And this! 2Advanced v5
    X

Time Lord, Celestial Knight and Kvow like this.
  2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I have to agree, again. The website is outdated and invalidated.

Nezakhan likes this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Have no problem with it. Prefer they don't waste any Dev time there.

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Except that it can help get new backers into the story of the game development and the game itself. I suggested long ago that they turn the website into the village of Owl's Head, just like Star Citizen calls their website Roberts Space Industries. The quality of the website for better or for worse does matter.

5. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

I definitely agree that the main page and forums need to be updated but a side note on those two links - they are using Adobe Flash which means a large contingent of browsers (mainly mobile) won't be able to access. Sure most gamers have a rig they are using but it's going from one extreme to the other it seems, IMO.

Vision OpenWorld likes this.
  6. selbie

selbie Avatar

Candy is the correct term there. I don't like those examples at all.

Sorry to be a killjoy but the website functions as necessary for now. They can upgrade it when the game is closer to release.

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Anyway I don¡t like those Advance Studies websites. :p Very cool to show that you can do a lot of things in a website, but not useful at all.

8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Maybe a full, expensive, and arduous redesign is unnecessary, but at the very least, the website should be valid. A lot of the invalidation issues result in less accessibility to those with visual and auditory disabilities.

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

slick or not slick websites do not a good product create.

don't waste resources on that now, do it when you really have a cohesive product.

Time Lord, Crikey, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'd rather have an awesome combat system at this point.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

This is ridiculous, the website is fine...

Here's some real late 90's websites: http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/gor...-90s-to-inspire-you-if-you-have-no-taste.html

It's kind of like... "these graphics are from 1997".. no dude. there weren't 3D graphics like this in 1997, haahaha.

I'm not a fan of your examples flash/html5 canvas type page loads either. Get straight to the point and be functional. And music is a definite no no.

Can you see how small and pixelled the fonts on the sites you chose as examples are ? They're barely readable on a 27" widescreen display at 2560 x 1920

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Those might be appropriate for a space game. But that it's what this game is at all. Everything inside and out is designed to look minimalist and functional.

13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

There are definitely some features missing from this site that would be nice to have, especially where it comes to the forums. But the '90s? Son, you must come from a different timeline than I do.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

New backers, of which I just sponsored one, are far more concerned that the game "isn't like Skyrim" which is the first thing they think about, rather than "oh, I wish the website was a little bit snazzier...".

Just sayin'.

15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Roberts Space Industries is the name of the company, not the website. Even so, I don't like their site at all. It's cosmetically refined and all, but to me it feels very dull and drab (in the soulful sense). It's possible that might be what they want, considering it's a spacefaring game and all... but man, I just can't take it with a pound of verbiage instead of eight ounces each of lasers and explosions. :)

Time Lord and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah SC site doesn't do much for me either. Except when they announce new ships :)

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I've never had a website design influence my decision to buy a game or anything for that matter. At least that's my experience.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I love how its stated the website should be updated then links off to 2 entire Flash driven websites as examples. Modern websites do not use flash for layout because they are useless on Mobile Devices (even Windows RT desktops/laptops: yes there are one or two ;) ).

The current website was brought up quickly and still evolving for changes needs and requirements. It would be a waste of effort to redesign it until the game is closer to release and some sort of marketing strategy is in place to benefit it. Right now the site serves its purpose with the only legitimate (IMHO) gripe is the usability of the pledging system. However, even that is much better than is was.

SOTA is actually much better than many Kickstarter project websites. Look at 2 Guys from Andromeda (http://guysfromandromeda.com/).

19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Remember, what is SoTA selling? The Ultima story and feel for a game. Apart from the pre-alpha releases, there is no easier place for people to get a sense of what the game is about. If I move around on the SoTA website I get an array of stuff that doesn't really seem to cohere.

I do like the SC website and it did suck me in because I got a narrative and a good sense of what the game is going to be like by moving around through it. But I'm already in to see pre-alpha so I don't need it. Where else do people throw money at a game but through the website... no one can tell me that it isn't important, and that the polish and narrative of the SC website don't help them.

Besides if you can crowdsource Unity assets why not websites?

20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Actually that website is constructed almost exactly the same way as SoTA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.