Lava fishing, cloud fishing, sand fishing, sulfur fishing

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by redfish, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

So, I like lava fishing. Its cool pulling up these primordial creatures from the depths

I would say my only disappointment with it is would be that its presented in the game kind of as it was nothing much and lacks a kind of mystery that makes it fall short of my imagination. After you learn how to fish in freshwater, saltwater, and fetid water, then the natural skill path of the fisherman leads to lava fishing ! (As is on the average fisherman's skill tree) Obviously, you can't do lava fishing with a normal fishing pole and bait, so you pick up a lava fishing pole, which is just like a fishing pole but for lava, and use special bait.

But in my imagination, pulling up a giant like a mosasaur is a more heroic endeavor, requiring something like gem-crafted harpoons and steel cages and such.

At any rate, about the part with it being on the fisherman's skill tree... I was thinking a bit about the clockpunk side of the game and airships.

[​IMG]

I have had an idea that just like we could take our ships out into the open sea, explore scenes, fish, find islands, and do sea battles, we could take our airships into the clouds, collect lightning in bottles, have air battles (like with imps that land on our decks, or cloud dragons -- see thread here), and find floating islands, including things like islands with castles and giants (and for sea-faring, towns and castles on the back of giant turtles islands would also be nice -- here).

[​IMG]

At any rate, I remembered that there was a SotA concept drawing early on of a transparent eel-like creature that would live in the clouds, and be food for dragons (full pic here -- By the way, when we get more into sea faring and sea creatures, electric eels as monsters would be cool).

[​IMG]

So, besides however interesting this would be, it also brought to mind a schema based on the elements --

Water - Sea/river/lake fishing
    Fire - Lava fishing
    Air - Cloud fishing
    Earth - Sand fishing

"Sand fishing", which I believe was implemented in some other game, might be based on the idea that there are creatures living within the deeps of sand dunes in deserts. For example, like the perennially used "sand worms" and "sand traps",

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The later of which has also existed in Ultima.

[​IMG]

In real world folklore, there was a kind of horned dragon, the cerastes, which was probably based on the horned viper, and was said to be boneless and lived below the sand. The horned viper and other creatures like sand slinks do bury themselves in the sand.

In game, the site for this in the world would be quicksand pits.

At any rate, I'm not sure exactly how this would take shape, but the fishing in more arcane types of elements could be gated somehow by some arcane fishing lore and arcane fishing skill. It would also make a lot of sense for the game if skills can be 'discovered' and added to the skill tree as we discover them, but that's a long-term wish.

By the way, another idea for a fishing pool type -- sulfur pools --

[​IMG]

2. Addison

Addison Avatar

Why not Space Fishing while we're at it?

[​IMG]

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Addison , we're probably eventually going to be able to take airships and such into space so why not :> Celestial fish in the aether.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Only in Wildspace. Can you just imagine what you'd pull out of the Phlogiston?

5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I think there ought to be a chance for the mososaurs to pull avatars into the lava. Imagine fishing with a group in the Oracle Colossus when an avatar suddenly zzzzzzippppssss into the lava.

Jaesun likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Reminds me of another game.

[​IMG]

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

So is SOTA'S future now to be a fishing simulator ???

Starting to seem that way

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ppl seem to like it *shrugs* so why not i guess.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

10. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well yes each to their own I suppose. Oh well.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Don't get me wrong. I also think they are catering to an extrem minority here.
    But as long as it works *shrugs*

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Hmm I fear they are barking up the wrong tree (or fishing rod) as usual.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Doesn't seem like that. Last R we actually achieved the additional dungeon room with fishing spot which set at 85k. So either ppl want dungeonrooms....or fishing. Or they really want both ^^

Jaesun and Gorthyn like this.
  14. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Hopefully the fishing in dungeons bubble doesn't burst then !

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  15. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

if they add space and leave out the gray I will be sorely disappointed.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think instead of finishing the fishing upgrade they should have updated an old scene or added a new boss or worked on bugs or somethin.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

As a product manager IRL, my guess is they're working on the systems with the best chance of making money in the near term. And they should. They should not spend money developing systems that do not generate revenue. Decorations generate revenue. Dungeons will generate revenue, not to mention significantly reclaim materials players have been hoarding. Fishing must have followed the same course with eager supporters with money to spend.

Just my take on it.

Jaesun and Sole like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm talking about long term spitball ideas in the OP :> Basically, when we get to fly around airships it would be cool to get content with it, which might mean air encounters, but there are also other things they can include that we do in the clouds.

I'm not necessarily a big fishing person, just kind of a train of thought I got on thinking about how mundane lava fishing is.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

By the way interesting fact; a Medieval term for electric eels was "torpedo." See here. Would actually be interesting lore-wise if those eel-like creatures in the concept art were electric, and swam in the clouds, conducting thunder and lightning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.