Learning recipes through imitation

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by redfish, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Part of the problem with not having recipes, I feel, is that limits the amount of items in the game. The crafting screen or window will become a big list of items, many of which you may have never have seen in your life. And it just becomes impractical.

So, what I'd suggest is to have a crafting book, starting with some base recipes for items that everyone knows about. Then, once you see an item you've never seen before you can go to your crafting book and gain a chance of adding the recipe for that item into your book. Your ability to intuit recipes for items would be based on your skill level + intelligence.

This is similar to my <a href="https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=the-card-system-as-a-fighting-style-learning-moves-from-experience">previous suggestion</a> for imitating opponents combat moves and learning them that way.

2. Rydel

Rydel Avatar

I like the idea of what you can craft extending well beyond recipes from a trainer or drops, whether its through reverse engineering items, trial and error, or some other system.

Especially if this gives more variety between crafters so not everyone is able to make the same things.

Perhaps the system could in some way account for what you already craft when it determines this - I.E. a smith who makes a lot of swords would be more likely to figure out how to craft a new sword than one who has been focusing on armor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.