Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Libraries and item limit

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Themo Lock, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

We still need a different way to store books on shelves that does not use item limit for each book, pretty pleeeaaaase ? :3 Right now a library can't happen

2. moko

moko Avatar

Yes, please, I pine for a library!

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Yes a house is not complete without a good library.

5. Mata

Mata Avatar

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Don't forget that basements with their greater item limits offer an option! But I agree wholeheartedly here.

7. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Well, I don't want a house now. I was about to start saving up for a raffle ticket, but knowing this, I won't! The only reason why I wanted a house was for the library!

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

You can still have a library. TBH, there aren't a ton of unique books in the game yet, and by the time there are the lot limits will likely be raised. All they are waiting for, afaik, is optimizations to speed up the rendering/loading.

9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Although I am behind this idea 110%, I honestly cannot see them changing it due to the item placement restriction by lot size. I planned for a huge library,but on my keep lot with a twin spire tower home,my internal items placed is capped at 1,ooo. I decided to make a banquet setup in the large room on the first floor and it has eaten up a lot of my placement numbers. That is because I saw the 18 book shelves I crafted would never hold all the books I had planned on, with capping me and the rest of the house looking bare.
    I am sure there are reasons that there has to be a cap on lots for external and internal placement,including server issues. But for now I am keeping books stored in case it ever does change.:)

10. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

I was also going to make a library... Then realized my 1000 item limit would have been capped really quickly.. Would be nice to have our limit increased or have some way that book shelves and other things you can place inside of things could have a toggle and once toggled things could not be removed from the object unless toggled again. Kind of like the Pin on our chat bar. Once we toggle the bookcase it will now count as 1 item.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The compromise solution is simple though and I suggest it about every quarter or more.

We get a container item which is 50% pre-filled with a fake books-backside, that opens as a container and the Public can open the books/papers to read but the difference to ordinary deco is that the content cannot be remove less by the public.
    Then the two top shelves are empty ordinary shelves which we can deco.

Then add one which is crafted and a really nice one with backs all the at up which is Addon.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There needs to be three or four different craftable bookcases that look like they're filled but they're not real books, and they count as just one decoration.

13. moko

moko Avatar

Maybe @Scottie can work some magic like that? I'd be totally content to be able to craft a basic variant and acquire other variants through the add on store as @Spoon suggested.

Moiseyev Trueden and Scottie like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There are thousands of unique in game books.

15. Curt

Curt Avatar

Big question is how they could do it right technical.
    If books all looked the same and always was upright would be a matter of a simply grid
    That hopefully could show up visual in the game.
    But i guess we would want more advanced

Moiseyev Trueden and Themo Lock like this.
  16. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I've written six. And plan to write more. I want to have many many bookshelves filled with books written by players and anyone.

17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

10000 times agree with this. I know that I am quickly reaching my item limit in my library. Probably will be forced to expand into my basement unless an alternate solution can be found. Excellent thread.

18. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Interesting idea.

Moiseyev Trueden and Vyrin like this.
  19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm not talking about everyone's privately created books. I'm talking about the number of unique books that have many copies, like Womby's Poems and such. I only see the same few dozen 'default' books that are in the bookcases all over the place, plus maybe a few dozen player created books since last wipe. If there are thousands of unique books, them Womby and Vyrin need to get a move on it and fill those libraries. :)

Moiseyev Trueden and Vyrin like this.
  20. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hello there, everyone! ^_^

We are indeed discussing options for how to solve this "book shelf conundrum", and for several really good reasons, which happen to include allowing players such as yourselves to create the libraries that you fine folks crave! Additionally, it's so that we as world-builders and designers can also plan for libraries (and even smaller studies that are chock-full of bookshelves) that are easily accessible by players who might visit them in our towns and cities... What exposed this problem initially for us (though concern about it had cropped up in the past even with the small ruined library in the bowels of the Epitaph) was the outcome of creating the enormously-crazy "endless" library of the Lyceum found within the deepest heart of the Halls of Artifice...

As you may know, Artifice has yet to "open for business" in our game yet due to all sorts of cool functionality and systems that aren't quite done and ready to go, which is why you can't access Artifice yet through its enticing golden door... Richard has many plans for how he wants that Lyceum area to function for the sake of game-play through that zone, but primarily the concern (as some of you already discussed) was the load time to even bring that many books into the game at once... There are literally hundreds and hundreds of bookshelves in the Lyceum, and the idea originally is that a player could approach any of them at will and draw a book from the shelf., and that each of those shelves (as far as the eyes could see in that place) would be filled randomly with every single book that existed in our game at that moment... For those that have been following my threads you may have seen the images I took of those areas already built out,...so you can imaging the huge hit the game took when trying to load that area!

Anyway,...I've looked at all these excellent thoughts and suggestions, and we have some similar ideas of our own that we must experiment with and determine the functional feasibility thereof, so I'm hoping that between all of the great possible directions we'll be able to come up with something that lets the "visual idea" of a true library become possible, while still letting the functionality we all crave not bring the game to a screeching halt... ^_^ Most likely, there will indeed be multiple types of "Full Shelf" or "Half-Shelf" bookshelf configurations available (both for crafting needs and our world-building needs) that you will be able to open as containers to access a finite list inside of all the books it contains... The actual architecture of this code-base is not something I can conjecture on yet, but I'm hoping it will also contain the ability for us to set up randomized "packets" of possible books that might fill it, that only "solidify" into an exact list the first time it's accessed by the player (for the sake of us making random libraries you guys can wander through.)... For player-crafted shelves of this kind there would be no "randomization", and instead I'm betting they would only contain the books you would choose to place in them... As of this moment, Rick has created 8 different "visual versions" of bookshelves we have been using to decorate our library-like areas, including the Lyceum, so it's possible there may be as many as 8 visual variants of "stocked-looking" shelves to choose from, once I get the task of actually making them for us to test (since the ones Rick made will need to be replaced by some form of "book-filled façade" to work for this)...

Of course, you guys will need to be "OK" with the fact that, with this paradigm, a bookshelf that visually looks full or semi-full could potentially contain no books whatsoever when you look into it (depending on whether the programmers have the time to add some "replace with empty shelf if the last book is removed" or not)... Perhaps we could all just assume that the books which appear in the list inventory are the "important for consideration" books, and all the ones that appear on the shelves when the inventory shows so little are just miscellaneous, boring, "overlookable" books on the subjects of toenail clipping and nose-picking... But as far as I'm concerned, having a "hybrid model" as some folks in this thread have mentioned, containing empty shelves for placing actual books on them as decorations, is a very cool idea! Versions of partially-full shelves could also be used by us as a means of having a "Full" version, a "Largely-Full" version, a "Half-Full" version, a "Somewhat-Full" version, and an "Empty" version, which could switch out as books were added to or removed from the main inventory...(of course, this would have to "turn off" if players placed anything on it, since any "switch-out" code wouldn't be able to take placed items on empty shelves into account, if we really wanted the shelves to look "random"). All of these ideas will be considered when it finally comes time for me to work on these again, which I haven't seen appear on my schedule looking forward yet...

Soon, though, hopefully,.....soon.... ^_^

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Sophi, Cordelayne, Rentier and 25 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.