Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux bugs

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

@Lord Barugon Only problem I've had is apparently you must have 64 bit to enter Britanny. I CTD every time I try to enter. :(

Hopefully a Windows client user can check entering Britanny with 32 bit windows client for more info.

strabo and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't tried Britanny yet but it certainly crashes more when changing scenes.

strabo likes this.
  3. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I actually had the opposite experience. I only crashed once while changing scenes over 5 times. More time will tell.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I tried going into Britanny using the 32 bit client and it either crashed or hung every time. The last time I tried, I watched the memory usage and it reached 2.6 GB before it crashed. Since 3 GB is the absolute maximum available for a 32 bit process, I imagine that it's just running out of memory.

[edit] Memory usage upon entering Britanny using the 64 bit client:
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, entering Britanny using the 32 bit client would be impossible.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  5. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Aye, they REALLY need to get memory management under control. Otherwise they may as well abandon the 32 bit clients. LOL

Fister Magee and Katrina Bekers like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I also discovered that the glitched guard model is way worse in the 32 bit client. If it's anywhere in my view frustum then I can't see anything except crazy flashing polygons.

strabo and Katrina Bekers like this.
  7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

AFAIK, the 32bit is at the moment unsupported, and the 64bit one the only "official" client, exactly for memory reasons. There's an update of the avatar on the subject, like one year and half ago.

strabo likes this.
  8. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Ah. Thanks for sharing!

It's probably not a great idea to abandon an entire market segment. There are a lot of people who still run 32 bit OS. I don't understand the decision to use it - but people do. Hint: It is larger than the Mac segment of the market.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's funny how the officially supported client has more bugs than the unsupported client.

Katrina Bekers and Bluefire like this.
  10. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I also like the not-so-subtle reality that as it stands right now the game is almost playable with 32 bit until you try to enter Britanny - then it is "upgrade or forget it!" But, of course, all that will be fixed before the game is officially-officially-officially released as a final product sometime shortly after n.e.v.e.r. I kid, I kid! I'll call it when we go from beta (July 28th) to final (1.0) sometime 2017. "Final" simply meaning all the chapter 1.0 commitments are in place, not the game being finished as it never will be.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

In software, there's really no such thing as being "finished".

12. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

...as is true with any art.

13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I don't know, nor did imply, that they're abandoning a market segment.

But I can easily see how a debug symbols ridden executable (and libs, and framework, and modules, etc.) needs an impressive amount of RAM, compared to what it could use without the added burden. And this might be the reason they prefer to work on the 64bit client rather than doing two full developments at once.

For example, we cache very little. If you follow the RAM usage between scenes, you can easily see that EVERYTHING is flushed from memory and then reloaded at next scene - included stuff just disposed of! And if there's a way to hopelessly waste memory, then this is it!

OTOH, the performance requirements of the game are at the moment so damn high that anything with these specs would support 64bit OSes and toolchains without any problem.

I'm fairly confident that even Brittany can comfortably fit into a cramped 32bit addressing space, one day.

But today it's not that day.

Tomorrow, maybe.

strabo and Bluefire like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.